“Best sushi I've had in Edinburgh!”
Review of Bonsai

Bonsai
Ranked #1,332 of 2,599 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Broughton & Calton
Reviewed 16 March 2013

My boyfriend and I visited Bonsai's new restaurant on Broughton Street. We ordered:

* Spicy tuna hand roll - got great reviews from my other half.

* Tempura prawn hand roll - prawns were crispy without being greasy, the seaweed roll was lovely and soft without being soggy.

* Salmon maki - far FAR better than the same dish in Yo! Sushi, salmon tasted very fresh and the rice was lovely and soft.

* Dragon gaijin - 8 huge pieces containing prawns, avocado and cucumber topped with a little mayo.

* Deep fried squid - perfectly cooked, very thin strips so not chewy or greasy.

* Scallops with ginger and orange - PERFECTLY cooked scallops in reasonable portion, in a lovely buttery, ginger and orange sauce.

* Pork gyoza - delicious steamed and lightly fried dumplings. I regularly find these slimy but not at Bonsai!

All of these were served with wasabi and ginger slices so we could add if we liked.

Overall Bonsai was a great experience for sushi-lovers, but there are also options for non-fish eaters. We will definitely be back again.

Reviewed 9 March 2013

Food ok and fairly inexpensive however stressed manager and service that resembled Fawlty towers impacts negatively on creating any welcoming atmosphere.Not sure they will last ....as people will not return unless service improves

2  Thank phoenix73
Reviewed 8 March 2013 via mobile

So ... It's definitely young, and the front of house is going to take a little whole to come together, but the food has real authentic integrity, and for fast, cheap and delicious in a fun corner of town you should absolutely consider it! Best miso soup around set the tone ... And the dragon sushi roll to follow made the slow drink delivery fine!

Reviewed 1 March 2013

I am giving this review an overall rating of 4 which is generous. Firstly may I say that the value is very good here and the portion size is plentiful. We dined with a party of 6 and paid £20 each for a beer and food with a £6 tip. The food was delightful and I would highly recommend the dragon rolls and the California rolls. Mixed veg tempura was lovely. I think the restaurant does lack a little bit of atmosphere. Then again it has only been open for a very short time. There is one thing that I think is very important. The air conditioning unit buzzes so loud over the music. This could be a real contributing factor as to why there is no ambiance in the restaurant. I do wish them well and purely for the value I will return and ultimately the food is good.

Reviewed 27 February 2013 via mobile

Maybe we have been spoiled by the always brilliant Sushiya on Dalry Road, but I've previously quite liked the Bonsai in Newington so we thought we'd check the new site out.

The service was bizarre - two blokes who looked like they had wandered in to use the toilet and ended up being handed notepads - and the sushi possibly came from the Tesco metro up the road. Other dishes teriyaki aubergine and vege tempura were ok, but oily, a chicken dish was woeful and the California roll barely worth the effort of picking it up and eating it. There are plenty of good Japanese places in Edinburgh at the moment. Don't waste your time or money here.