“Good food, variable service”
Review of Bonsai

Bonsai
Ranked #1,202 of 2,460 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Broughton & Calton
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Good food, variable service”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We've eaten at Bonsai on Broughton Street many times. The food is always good, but the service is very variable. Some days the staff are super-attentive, others they are not. The Bento boxes are good value and the veggie rainbow is excellent! They do offer regular Groupon vouchers, so keep an eye out!

• Visited March 2014

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“small but lovely”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We have been here the last few times we visited Edinburgh. Just off George street. Although fairly small, and busy on a lunch/tea time with folks coming in for take away sushi, it is great. Food lovely and fresh, service good, prices reasonable, what more could you ask for?

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank pugsley467
“Lunch”
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

Groupon voucher got us through the door and wow. Waiter was attentive and informative.
We choose three dishes then asked advice and took up a couple of the suggestions.
Everything was FAB. Lots is fresh flavours and ingredients.
Service was fantastic too.
Will defiantly return without voucher. Recommend you try it NOW.

“Bonsai - Truly EXCELLENT.”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I really don't know where the negative reviews on this page are coming from. I come to Bonsai fairly regularly, both this one and the Richmond Street one, and I have never had a bad experience. Today was a classic example.
There I was, in town with a little bit of time to kill before I had to start work, feeling that kind of hunger that only sushi can satisfy. I was fairly sure I didn't have time to sit in and eat anywhere but the temptation was just too great....so I headed in to Bonsai. I sat down at around 1:10. My order was taken at 1:15. (I was clock-watching because I had to start work across town at 2:00). I had received and eaten it by 1:25. At lunchtime, folks. The australian girl working there was doing the job of two people and carrying it off with grace and charm.....and this is, for me, absolutely typical of this place. I almost forgot to mention that the quality of the food here is always absolutely top-notch.
So please, if you're considering Bonsai, remember that, often, people who don't really know what they're talking are wont to write reviews of places that are just completely unfair. Some people just have very unrealistic expectations, and unfortunately they are the ones who are motivated to comment. So ignore the naysayers and give it a go! And if you're on a budget, go at lunchtime so you can take advantage of the very reasonable specials menu.

• Visited April 2014
Thank andysutherland1... .
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Good food”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Sushi was great - reasonably priced and plenty of choice.
Service could have been better, the guy serving us spent more time chatting up his co worker than with us. Had to wait a long time for the bill

Visited April 2014