“Trying hard but not hitting the mark!”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Vintage - CLOSED

The Vintage
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: British, Indian, Spanish, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Drinks, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Edinburgh
“Trying hard but not hitting the mark!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

This was not my first time to the Vintage but think it will probably have been my last. Edinburgh has such an array of restaurants, there are many other places to meet my foodie desires.
My husband booked a table as a wee surprise as we both had a long week at work.
We were shown to our table next the open plan kitchen, good sized table for 2 and we enjoyed being able to watch the chef at work. I didn't catch their names but both the girl & guy that served us were very helpful & pleasant.

The menu was enticing and I really like the tapas & grazing plates. Our starters were well flavoured & involved some interesting combinations. Eg celeriac & cabbage soup!

For our main we chose the assiette of beef (£40) to share. This was a selection of steaks - flat iron, rump & skirt - all 6oz but flavoured as peppered, garlic or smoked. This was served with a big bowl of bone marrow roasted potatoes, roasted shallots, truffle butter & bearnaise sauce. We were advised the meat would be served medium rare and we asked for it to be more medium. Unfortunately the platter did not live up to its price tag! The flat iron was tough and gristley, probably because the fascia had not been removed. The peppering or smoked flavours were either non existent or overpowered by the delightful garlic rump. I was really looking forward to the roast potatoes but these were simply ok.

Moving on to the dessert course, my husband went for the cheese course & I chose the steamed orange sponge. The cheese board contained a good selection but my husband commented that they were a bit dry and not as fresh as they could have been. My sponge pudding was dry & stodgy. Definitely not enough orange syrup as could be seen by the guy in the kitchen who struggled to get it out of the tin! The custard was a lovely vanilla flavour but such a small portion given the size of the sponge.
All in all I think the vintage got a great reputation since opening but perhaps are now struggling to deliver. Our meal for 2 (incl 2 bottles beer) was over £80?? Definitely more expensive than I remember from previous occasions and over priced. A similar meal with a sharing main of beef at Bistro Moderne cost much less & was both better in terms of flavour & price.

“Bloody brilliant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

Super nice staff, the lass and laddie that served us were brilliant. Mad props to the Englishman. Food was ohhhhh scrumptious, beer was interesting, atmosphere is good despite it being full of older people (30+ rofl #yolo).

• Visited April 2014
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“My new favourite restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

Ordered the Macaroni burger with pulled pork, it tasted even better than it sounds! My new favourite dish, will definitely be going back soon! Although I'm not a huge beer drinker, my boyfriend was stuck for choice at the awesome selection. Staff were top quality, huge thanks to Kelsey for bringing the tastiest food and explaining the different beers and kegs etc. Really good restaurant with great staff and great food!

North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
“I think the beer is their focus.....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

I think that this place is really a pub with a strong emphasis on beers but with reasonable wines on offer too and at the beginning and middle of the week food comes in unusual selections, some small for sharing and some more substantial, all of which that we tasted were fine enough. My game pie was really what I guess was a really good venison casserole (I did not detect other "game") popped into a small pie dish and topped off with a round of heated up, frozen puff pastry. It certainly tasted good.
The beer list is substantial and long and staff do spend time explaining what's what. That seems to be the place's forte. It is no surprise that the planned venture west to Glasgow's east end will, in due course, have a mini-brewery on site.
Our waiting staff were friendly, patient and welcoming which is just as well as the ambiance is rather bleak brightened up by the bar.

London
“slightly lacking in atmosphere but great food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

Lunch time choices of small plates to share is a great idea - me and a female colleague had 4 plates between us with a side of hot veg and they were exceptional in taste - albeit small portions. Arbroath smoked pate, spicey crab, red mullet, and smoked tomatoes - all served with fresh bread. This was ample for lunch and came to less than £20 for the two of us. Nice friendly service. The only let down was the lack of atmosphere and customers (Weds lunchtime at 12.30). But i would go back.