“Brilliant”

The Vintage
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: British, Indian, Spanish, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Brilliant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

We went to The Vintage for a late sunday lunch. Lovely releaxed atsmosphere, we were seated right by the open kichen, which was fab. Waitress was friendly and attentive. Loved being able to watch the chefs, they clearly take a lot of pride in their work which was great to see. Brilliant beer selection. We had a mac n cheese burger with homemade chips - amazing and the roast lamb, also wonderful. Desert a banoffee cheescake. Perfect. All in all a wonderfully relaxed delicious meal in lovely surroundings at a great price. Also great to se the manger windering about chatting away. You're all doing a great job, we'll definitely be back.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Interesting restaurant food sold as bar food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

We visited the Vintage on a Friday night. It was quite a bit different than the website, more a restaurant feel than a bar serving food, as over half the bar is set up for booked meals (which we were one as advised to book) I'm glad we did as the food was lovely, a little on the expensive side but it was lovely.
We had to wait a little bit longer than we thought for our food but the waitress more than made up for it. She was very attentive and friendly.

Edinburgh
“Trying hard but not hitting the mark!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

This was not my first time to the Vintage but think it will probably have been my last. Edinburgh has such an array of restaurants, there are many other places to meet my foodie desires.
My husband booked a table as a wee surprise as we both had a long week at work.
We were shown to our table next the open plan kitchen, good sized table for 2 and we enjoyed being able to watch the chef at work. I didn't catch their names but both the girl & guy that served us were very helpful & pleasant.

The menu was enticing and I really like the tapas & grazing plates. Our starters were well flavoured & involved some interesting combinations. Eg celeriac & cabbage soup!

For our main we chose the assiette of beef (£40) to share. This was a selection of steaks - flat iron, rump & skirt - all 6oz but flavoured as peppered, garlic or smoked. This was served with a big bowl of bone marrow roasted potatoes, roasted shallots, truffle butter & bearnaise sauce. We were advised the meat would be served medium rare and we asked for it to be more medium. Unfortunately the platter did not live up to its price tag! The flat iron was tough and gristley, probably because the fascia had not been removed. The peppering or smoked flavours were either non existent or overpowered by the delightful garlic rump. I was really looking forward to the roast potatoes but these were simply ok.

Moving on to the dessert course, my husband went for the cheese course & I chose the steamed orange sponge. The cheese board contained a good selection but my husband commented that they were a bit dry and not as fresh as they could have been. My sponge pudding was dry & stodgy. Definitely not enough orange syrup as could be seen by the guy in the kitchen who struggled to get it out of the tin! The custard was a lovely vanilla flavour but such a small portion given the size of the sponge.
All in all I think the vintage got a great reputation since opening but perhaps are now struggling to deliver. Our meal for 2 (incl 2 bottles beer) was over £80?? Definitely more expensive than I remember from previous occasions and over priced. A similar meal with a sharing main of beef at Bistro Moderne cost much less & was both better in terms of flavour & price.

“Bloody brilliant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

Super nice staff, the lass and laddie that served us were brilliant. Mad props to the Englishman. Food was ohhhhh scrumptious, beer was interesting, atmosphere is good despite it being full of older people (30+ rofl #yolo).

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“My new favourite restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

Ordered the Macaroni burger with pulled pork, it tasted even better than it sounds! My new favourite dish, will definitely be going back soon! Although I'm not a huge beer drinker, my boyfriend was stuck for choice at the awesome selection. Staff were top quality, huge thanks to Kelsey for bringing the tastiest food and explaining the different beers and kegs etc. Really good restaurant with great staff and great food!

• Visited March 2014