“Great Bar”
Review of Angels Share Hotel

Angels Share Hotel
Ranked #96 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 20 September 2013

Use the bar both for business meetings and to have drinks with friends. It is cool and sophisticated. They play good music which isn't so loud you have to shout to get yourself heard. The staff are all very helpful and the food is not bad too.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Angels Share Hotel

Reviewed 19 September 2013

Location is great, however hotel disappoints. Stayed in the 'Emeli Sande' room, which just has a large photo of her above the bed (I think we just expected it to be a bit more 'themed') and the room was just big enough for the bed and desk and no more. Service wasn't great, we tried to order room service at 12.30am but no one was answering the phone so we had to go down to the nightclub downstairs to find someone, and when we did they charged us for the food there and then, before we got it, which was a bit odd. The sandwich was ok at best. Then in the morning the receptionist tried to charge us again for the food and didn't believe that we had paid! Had to go back to the room and fetch the receipt! All in all not a great experience from a hotel that could have been great.

2  Thank ElleBee84
Leah C, Manager at Angels Share Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We take all feedback very seriously and endeavour to act on all issues within our control.

Reviewed 13 September 2013

I loved everything about this hotel - the staff, the restaurant and bar, the food and drink and our room - we were lucky enough to get the "Ewan McGregor" room which was lovely, large and quiet.

I was almost put off by some reviews about getting to reception but they are nonsense, it's very simple. At the front of the hotel there are two entrances - on the left it says "Angels Share Hotel" and the right it says "Angels Share Bar". Of course we didn't read them and wandered straight into the bar. A lovely young waiter kindly showed us to the lift. If you go in the correct door on the left, immediately in front of you is a neon red sign for the lift which takes you to reception on the first floor. This didn't phase us one bit - we stayed in a fantastic hotel in Amsterdam last year which was a large gated complex made up of three hotels and residential apartments intermingled together. Rooms were on various floors - ours was on the second floor while reception was on the fifth floor and behind it, the breakfast area overlooking the city. So, no problem here. It was nice that others had a little privacy whilst sorting out financial aspects of their stay etc. I note that the hotel is considering making a seating area and this would have been appreciated, to have somewhere to sit whilst waiting for anyone in front of us at reception - however this only happened once, so not a problem and it most certainly would not put us off from visiting again.

We had breakfast each morning which was delicious - the best Eggs Benedict I've ever eaten while hubby had the full Scottish Breakfast which he enjoyed. Service was perfectly paced and friendly.

On our second evening, we ate in the restaurant. It has a lovely feel to it, it's atmospheric and relaxing. The TV as mentioned on a previous review was playing old black and white movies without the sound on - more as a decorative piece than to sit and watch. The music in the background was perfect. The food once again was delicious. Hubby had the Haggis Tweeds and I had mushroom and brie(?), we had the salmon and chicken to follow and no room for dessert but it was our wedding anniversary so hubby had the cheeseboard and I had the chocolate and walnut brownie on recommendation of the waitress which was a really great choice! We had a bottle of Pinot Grigio, coffee and cocktails (Flower of Scotland and Mojito, yum) for about £80.

Our room was fantastic. The bed was huge and so comfortable, the duvet and pillows were perfect - I almost felt like I was an angel in a big fluffy cloud. The toiletries were lovely as was the gorgeous coffee and the biggest mugs I've ever seen! The bottles of water were most welcome.

The only improvements I would suggest is a shelf at the end of the bath, hubby would've have liked a shaving mirror and include breakfast in the price of the room. If guests enjoy a good breakfast, they are more likely to spend money in the restaurant and bar? We would have done.

And finally - what makes a hotel for us is WIFI, especially on a city break. The WIFI here was AWESOME! It was fast and super-easy to use - put in your password once and that's it, job done. I definitely recommend this hotel.

While you're there, it's bus 35/36 for Holyrood Palace, bus 22 (outside the Caledonian Hotel on Lothian St) for the Ocean Terminal (shopping complex) with the entrance to Royal Yacht Britannia on the second floor - well worth a visit. The red city sightseeing bus stops on Lothian Street opposite the Caledonian Hotel, £13 for 24 hours, takes approx 1 hour to do a full tour and drops off at most of the places you'll want to visit. The airport coach seems to stop outside the hotel and Princes Street is just to your left as you come out of the hotel so it's in a great location.

Room Tip: The Ewan McGregor room was fab
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jazzmonster

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience! We do hope to see you back again soon!

Reviewed 30 August 2013

The hotel is in a good location and it tries hard but the whole experience doesn't add up to the sum of it's parts. Here's why: Odd entrance having to go through the restaurant and up in a lift to get to the reception, which if there is someone in front of you means you have to queue in a tiny corridor. There's another lift to be taken to get you to the room and both lifts are possibly the slowest I have ever taken. The room was nice (James McEvoy), but small, the bathroom even smaller, with no where to put your toilet bag and a bath that you have to climb into to turn on the shower which took forever to warm up and then kept pointing itself towards the wall or the screen, anywhere but at me! The bed was very comfortable and the sheets a lovely crisp cotton, the latter being my favourite thing about the hotel so it as a shame I was woken in the very early hours by what sounded like bins being emptied and continued on and off until it was time to get up. The breakfast was served efficiently, but the sweet porridge was just that, no frills, and no self service options for bread, croissants, fruit etc. Just as well I didn't have time to linger. Staff were very accommodating and can't be faulted but I'm unlikely to stay there again

Room Tip: Don't get a room facing the alleyway as bins are emptied very early.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Sandra-Jane W
Reviewed 29 August 2013

A lovely, recently renovated hotel that was just perfect. The location for our activities was excellent. We went to Tattoo at the Castle and it was easy walking distance from our hotel. The location really couldn't have been better.
The staff was awesome! They brought us our requested ice every night, which was huge for me.
The only thing we should mention is this: The hotel sits next to a department store, separated by an alley. We had our windows open and at 5 a.m. a truck pulled into the alley and left its engine running while it made it's delivery. The carbon monoxide that came into our room was horrible. This is certainly not the fault of the hotel, but if you stay there, be aware of possible fumes if anyone parks in the alley. Note: This hotel was NOT noisy at all. We weren't even bothered by the arrival of the truck, just the fumes from the exhaust. We did tell the front desk when we left and I feel confident that they will do what they can to avoid this situation in the future. The staff were just the best!

Room Tip: Room away from the alley would be best.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Leah C, Manager at Angels Share Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2013

Thank you so much for your lovely comments! We have a lovely friendly bunch of staff here who really make the place what it is. They will be delighted to hear that you found them 'awesome' . I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed 28 August 2013

Beautiful rooms, tastefully decorated. However, the customer service is lacking in some areas, which is a shame because otherwise I'd have given a 5 star rating rather than 3 stars. That's the short review. A more comprehensive review is below.

It's clear to see that a lot of thought went into this hotel. It's called "The Angel's Share", which is presumably taken from the Scottish film of the same name, by Ken Loach. Photos of famous Scots adorn the walls and the rooms are all named after Scottish celebs. I could not fault the look of the hotel or the room. The cleanliness was also impeccable, not a spot of dust in sight.

The room was beautiful. Breathtaking, even - considering the central location and the price paid. The bed was huge and extremely comfortable. The hotel provided a desk and stationary in the room. The bathroom was spacious, with a ready flow of hot water. There were complimentary tea, coffee, hot chocolate and toiletries. In addition there were chargeable items in the fridge; alcohol, fudge, crisps - everything catered for. I can't comment on these items though as we only used the toiletries. I had a very good nights sleep indeed, the bed was superb.

However, it does seem that this is perhaps how the hotel gets by; its face.

We stayed here as a last minute thing. We were basically going to be stranded in Edinburgh owing to a cancelled flight, which impeded upon our travel connections given that the flight we were transferred to was some five hours later. So, armed with mobile internet, we searched Edinburgh hotels to book into.

My partner telephoned the hotel and was delighted to find there was 'room at the inn' and so tried to book us in, which was all well and good up until the point of payment. The person on the other end of the phone refused to allow him to pay using my card. The lady on the other end of the phone had got the wrong end of the stick and thought he was trying to make a booking for himself but in someone else's name and with someone else's card, even with him explaining I was sitting there with him and could speak to her if needed. After watching my partner become more and more exasperated trying with great difficulty to explain that I was the other party to the booking, I took the phone from him but by that point she had grasped the situation and readily apologised for her error. She then asked for my card details - but failed to tell me how much the room was; I had to ask how much she'd be charging to my card. That debacle over, I asked if she could send me a confirmation email so I had a copy of the booking and phonetically spelled out my email address. She said I would receive the email in a few minutes. I waited. And waited. And waited.

The email didn't come. After about an hour, I was growing anxious; should I check in and they couldn't find the booking, we'd be stumped if we had no confirmation. So I rang back. The lady stated that she had sent the email and then she phonetically read out the email address - it was correct. Neither of us could understand why I hadn't received the email so I asked if she was able to send a text message confirmation, when she then announced she had misspelled my email address in the initial confirmation, and would send the confirmation again, which she duly did.

So, we arrive in Edinburgh. We hadn't had anything to eat or drink in hours so my partner went to see if he could find somewhere whilst I went to check in. I walked into a very busy bar area and stood around for about 10 minutes before a member of staff spotted my bags and asked if I was looking for the hotel. I confirmed that I was and he directed me to the lift. I explained that I cannot use lifts (I have a fear of them after being stuck in one) and he directed me to the stairs. He explained I had to go up two flights and then down one flight to find reception. Now, I am a petite lady standing there with two heavy suitcases, a laptop bag and a handbag. I was offered no assistance with them whatsoever so I struggled up the two flights and down the one alone with them. I attend reception to find that two gents who had just checked in could not get their keycard to work and my heart sank. I was beginning to think I was checking into hotel hell. Thankfully, I wasn't. The lady again apologised to me for her misunderstanding on the phone, took payment from my card and handed me my keycard along with a piece of paper with little details about the hotel, whilst telling me our room number. I was offered no direction to the room, and had to ask whether it was on that floor and how to locate it. I was not advised where to find the breakfast room and again offered no assistance with my bags.

When I entered the room, my heart was back in my chest. It was simply gorgeous, as described earlier.

In the morning, my partner and I found the breakfast area (same place I entered the hotel). We had not even sat down before we were asked if we wanted tea or coffee. I opted for tea and my partner didn't want a hot drink. He was not offered a cold drink as an alternative such as orange juice which is usually served with breakfast in other establishments in addition to a hot drink. During our wait (which was a good 40 minutes), we were approached by a staff member who asked if we'd paid for breakfast. The gentleman seemed embarrassed to even be asking the question and explained he needed to know "How to put it through". I advised him I'd paid for the room and for breakfast upon arrival, by card. You would think that basic things like this could be communicated between staff. I wonder had he not asked if I'd have been charged twice?

The breakfast was coated, and I mean absolutely coated in pepper, to the point where every mouthful was spicy. Seasoning food is normal in a hotel but coating it is not; there were no condiments on the table but it's not like we needed them... Under normal circumstances, I'd have sent it back but the food took almost 40 minutes to arrive which meant we had to rush to eat it otherwise we would have missed checkout, there was certainly no time for a new breakfast to be cooked and eaten. It was edible - just very, very peppery. My partner (who incidentally loves pepper) ended up eating most of mine.

Upon checkout, I was not asked the usual courteous "Was everything ok" and frankly I didn't have the time to go over it because, I had a train to catch and besides, I'd already paid so a discount for the inconvenience would not be possible on this occasion. Perhaps feedback forms in the rooms would be a good idea. I did look for them but didn't find any, though I overheard upon leaving from another guest that there were feedback forms on the receptionists desk. The reception was a lone desk in a small room with numerous papers spread upon it, if I'd have seen them, I'd have taken one and completed it at home.

Now understand that there is nothing wrong with the staff - on the contrary they were all pleasant individuals but there is most definitely a need for training. Without the errors, the copious amounts of pepper, and the catalogue of errors, this would have been 5 stars.

Despite my less than complimentary review, it's not utterly terrible, and though I have no immediate plans to return to Edinburgh in the near future, I would stay again but would like to see improvements.

2  Thank -highland0fling-

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. All feedback is crucial to us to enable us to fix any errors that may occur. Our service is the most important element of our business and we strive to offer the very best care and attention to our guests at all times which is reflected continuosly in our reviews. It is very dissapointing to hear that this was not the case with your experience. I would be very grateful if you could contact me directly at the hotel to discuss the matter further to enable me to pin point the finer details and in turn ensure that this does not happen again. I would appreciate the oppurtunity to restore your faith in our lovely hotel.

Thank you.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

Stayed at this hotel while visiting
Edinburgh for the tattoo. Bit quirky, but The staff were superb, very helpful . Great position just opposite the bus stop from the airport and .easy access to the three streets. Loved the breakfast set us up for the day. Great bar and good bar food. Bar was very lively on weekend, but you could go downstairs to the jazz club till 3 am if you wanted. Rooms were a bit on the small size but it is a boutique hotel and we loved the stars and actors photos. Bed was very comfortable and the shower was really good. Would have no hesitation booking this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Leah C, Manager at Angels Share Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

Thank you for your comments. Im delighted that you enjoyed your stay. The live jazz band on Fridays is becoming very popular and is a great option for late night entertainment. As stated the airport bus drops you off right out side and is a geat way to get to us. I will be sure to pass all ofyour comments on to the team here and thank you once again for taking the time to share your experience.