“Check-in was a disaster! Hotel was lovely”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Edinburgh City Centre
Ranked #47 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersBronze level
Accrington, United Kingdom
“Check-in was a disaster! Hotel was lovely”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

We arrived for our 1 night stay to a check in desk who did not appear to know what they were doing. There was a lot of muttering between desk staff & we were eventually checked in.
I wanted to pay on check in so the girl took my payment of £184. I was given a receipt from the terminal & all was well.
When we got to our room the room keys did not work (room 313) and housekeeping kindly let us in.
I had paid extra for a room with a view of the castle; which we had; but we were also in a disabled friendly room, no bath, assistance chords & buttons, seat in the shower etc (Not needed & not mentioned at check in but not really an issue I guess)
We went back to desk before going to theatre to sort out the room key issue. There were other guests around & I was told rather loudly that my card had been declined & a further payment method would be required. I checked my online banking to see the money had already been debited from my card from the original payment. A further charge had tried to be made to my card of £144. I was so embarrassed & was presented with a receipt stating my card was declined. I was told I would have to try again or produce another payment method.
I had already paid!! More muttering occurred, with staff going to & from the office at the back & no real explanation was given, why was I being charged £144?
We had to leave as we had tickets for the theatre the gentleman on the desk said it would be sorted, took the receipts from me & gave me 2 replacement keys.
This ruined our evening, as we were worried that we would have to pay again or that something was wrong with our account.
During check out I returned the keys & queried the 2 receipts I had; one for confirmed payment and one for the declined payment; with a different member of staff. The gentleman on the desk took them both from me and said "It's all sorted I'll send you new receipts." He was less than helpful or polite; I explained the situation to a female member of staff & she agreed that it was disgraceful the way I had been treated. She commented that the man I described "could easily be confused"
It may not seem like a big deal, however I was left very upset, worried & embarrassed in front of other guests. What I fail to understand is why charge £184 for the room then try & charge a further £144?
If this is due to a hotel policy then please inform me of this on arrival, as not one person during this whole debacle had explained there was going to be a charge to cover breakages, or room service or the telephone?
Was the room rate wrong for the one we got?
The hotel itself has been beautifully rebranded & the room was lovely. The location is ideal and we had the nice view of the castle. The staff in the restaurant were very friendly. The TV in the room was positioned on the end of the bed & the signal was very poor.
The bed was amazing & I had a sound nights sleep, as did my partner who usually struggles to sleep in a strange bed.
This didn't really impact as we were out and about most of our stay. The fresh cookie on arrival was a lovely touch.
Breakfast was good, with lots of choice of continental or cooked variety. (cooked food was a little cold but expected on buffet style)

I would have given a higher rating had the check in disaster not happened.

Room Tip: 313 had a fantastic view of castle.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
ronald_little, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Edinburgh City Centre, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear Guest,

I would like to sincerely apologise for the poor service levels experienced during your stay with us.

The lack of tact used in the situation described is totally unacceptable and I will personally deal with this matter.

I am sorry that you left the hotel with a less than favourable opinion of your stay with us and sincerely apologise for the service received.

Ronald Little

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

Good modern hotel in a good central location. Nice up to date rooms and a really nice bar and restaurant..Only issue was the restaurant was really cold, other than that ideal for a city break to Edinburgh

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel.

I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us however sincerely apologise that the restaurant was cold. I can only hope that when highlighted, the team rectified this immediately.

I am sorry that your stay was marred by the temperature in the restaurant and hope that this was made right to your satisfaction.

durham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for Easter, room on the 4th floor with castle view, room very large clean and modern new furnishings , breakfast excellent with plenty to choose from, car park just round corner in Semple street at £7
Per day, bar very well priced, staff very helpful and friendly especially nick on reception,
For a nice meal try Italian frizzante on Lothian road.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your experience.

I am glad to read that you enjoyed your hotel stay and the services offered.

Thanks

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

Really enjoyed our stay. Hotel was in a great location, right in the old part of town by the Castle and Grassmarket area, which has loads of pubs and restaurants. Room was very comfortable with tea & coffee, iron and nice big flat telly. Staff in the hotel were very friendly and helpful. Would definitely stay there again.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

2 Thank Debbie R
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the DoubleTree by Hilton Edinburgh.

I am delighted to read that you stay was an enjoyable one and look forward to welcoming you back again on your next visit to the city.

Ruckersville, VA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

This is the former Point Hotel which re-opened April 1 as the Double Tree Hotel. If you want a view of the castle, you can't beat room 316 which looks up Spital St with the castle on the hill above it. The room is large by European standards (36 ft long by 10 ft wide), but the 11ft ceilings give it somewhat of a cave feel. For a space this big, there are a total of 3 small drawers for storage, so unless you travel like Rick Steves, you may find it lacking. There is no storage in the bath, which outside the tub is 4 ft by 5 ft, and does give you much space when you deduct the toilet and sink. The ac thermostat showed it was possible to lower the temperature to about 67F, however the lowest it could achieve was 73F. It takes 6-7 hours for the ac to change, and housekeeping will turn it off when the leave the room. You can do much better for breakfast by walking a short distance than going for the 14 pound hotel price. For most people the wifi is 5 pounds a day and is not reliable. For European visitors there is a single Cont. electrical plug on the desk. The advertised express checkout did not happen, there was no instruction for the TV or wifi. Some of these things may get worked out with time, but the ac is going to be a real problem in the warm months.

Room Tip: Ask for the castle view. The street in from of the hotel is very quiet.
1 Thank George165
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel after your recent stay.

Although I am happy that your overall stay was an enjoyable one, I am sorry to read of the detractors experienced.

I would also like to apologise for the air conditioning which is not actually on at present as this is not commissioned. This could be why the temperature did not drop as quickly as expected.

I will also look into the information regarding WiFi as the TV has on screen instructions however the WiFi should have been explained on arrival.

I am sorry that your stay was marred by these shortfalls however I do hope that once highlighted, the issues where dealt with professionally and promptly.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

My friend and I stayed in this hotel after purchasing a deal on ITISON. When we arrived and after booking in, the main desk gave us warm chocolate cookies, which was a lovely wee unexpected touch. The room was new, modern, spacious & clean and the hotel was in a great location. The staff were very helpful, especially Nick who arranged for my friend and I to go to the SkyBar which was closed to take pictures. Thanks Nick we got great pictures and it was very much appreciated. As part of our deal we had a 3 course meal with wine in the restaurant, which was one of the nicest meals we have had in a long time. The warm ratatouille and mozzarella tart lets were delicious. The oven baked fillet of smoked haddock was melt in your mouth and the char grilled piri piri dusted chicken was to die for. My friend and I will definitely visit again. In the morning we went for breakfast where there was more than enough choice to suit most taste. Please pass on our comments to the chef as we both enjoyed our meal, especially the desserts which consisted of dark belgian chocolate brownie, Chantilly with raspberry coulis and lemon and lime posset with vanilla short bread. Thanks for a great visit to a great city in a nice hotel. Finally, the bar area is very swish and modern. Next time we will definitely be having a cocktail or two. Well done team, keep up the good work. Wishing you success in the future.

Room Tip: Just ask the main desk for a room to get full advantage of the castle views and if your visiting on...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank HelgaTheHormone
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your experience.

It is a pleasure to read of your experience at the hotel and I am glad that Nick was able to show you the SkyBar venue for photos.

I appreciate your feedback and hope to welcome you back again soon.

Greenock, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

This is one of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed at, and the food in the restaurant is the best meal I have ever had. It was great value for money, and the staff were outstanding. The cookie on arrival was the start to a very enjoyable stay!! Incredible touch. Would certainly go back. First class!!

Sharon, Greenock

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

I am delighted to read that your stay was an enjoyable one and that you had a fabulous meal in the Bread Street Brasserie.

I appreciate your feedback and hope to welcome you back again soon.