“Top class hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #46 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Top class hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

We recently visited Edinburgh on a "business" trip. We had the pleasure of staying here at the Doubletree. The experience for the 2 nights we stayed was outstanding. The staff were very welcoming and professional from the Chef to the bar staff, front of house, maids, PR, management everybody at the hotel were brilliant, chatty and courteous. Big thanks to Ewan the bar man, Nikki in PR, George at reception, and everyone else at Doubletree who made our short stay a very enjoyable one.

We will certainly make a return trip soon. Highly recommended.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Scott U
ronald_little, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Edinburgh City Centre, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel after your recent stay.

I appreciate your feedback and for highlighting the team members who stood out who I will thank personally.

I hope to welcome you back again soon.

General manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

New and extremely comfortable hotel. Room facilities excellent and staff very welcoming and helpful. We benefitted from a special offer room rate and would suggest offering these regularly to publicise hotel. We will definitely use again. Hotel is in a good location to access local tourist spots, most of which are within walking distance.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the DoubleTree by Hilton Edinburgh City Centre.

I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back again soon.

Stranraer
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

We stayed in this hotel for 1 night. Lovely stylish modern hotel and recently refurbished. (Could still smell the paint). Underground car park only a 5 minute walk. Good sized room, with large shower cubical. All the usual toiletries etc. room had fridge, hairdryer and hospitality tray. However, the air con was not in operation. Room got very hot. Tried twice to telephone down to reception with no response. Ended up calling hotel landline from mobile to advise about air con. Was told it was not working yet, and they would provide a fan. Fan was inadequate, and we should have been informed upon arrival. Windows do not open. Didn't try restaurant or breakfast. Ideally situated in the centre of Edinburgh and the car park was only £7. Would stay again, if air con was working. :)

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel.

Although I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, I would like to apologise for the lack of air conditioning available.

The issues with the system have been unfortunate however I can confirm that this will be resolved this week to ensure our guests have full control of the temperature within the rooms with summer on its way.

I appreciate your feedback and hope to welcome you back again soon.

Mirfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

As a diamond Hilton Honors member I was greeted nicely an given an upgrade to a room with a view of the castle. Shortly after I got to my room he knocked on the door with a drinks voucher that he'd forgotten and also asked if I needed a paper or wake up call, which he'd also forgotten - but no big drama. I ate in the restaurant which was nice and the food was to a high standard. Again there was a slight issue when I had to ask twice for my drink to arrive and the side order was entirely missed - but again no big drama really. The room was good and the wifi fast, both important for me!

The Hilton website gives the impression that there is parking for £7, this isn't correct as the parking is not at the hotel and is in fact around the corner in an underground car park. This resulted in a trip twice around the block checking I hadn't missed the hotel's own car park. This should be made clear on the Hilton website. The website needs changing. Get your parking stamped when you check out for a discount, it cost me £12.

Overall the hotel is very nice and in a good location. The staff were very friendly and I'm sure the small issues I had will be resolved once it has been open a bit longer.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

I appreciate your candid review and that the shortfalls whilst the hotel is in transition did not impact your stay.

The team are working hard to ensure the initial teething issues after opening are being addressed quickly to ensure guests such as yourself receive the service levels expected as well as the acknowledgment and benefits afforded to our Hilton Honor Members.

I hope to welcome you back again soon.

Cumbernauld
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

Stayed on sat May 3rd. Lovely hotel and all facilities were lovely. Clean carpets and brand new bathroom. Great size room and comfy bed. Ate in restaurant for dinner which was included in package and couldn't,t fault it. Service everywhere great. We had a room at the front but didn't,t hear much noise. Would go back again. Car park only few mins away and central for castle and all the pubs at grassmarket

Room Tip: If you like it really quiet then ask for a room at the back
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your stay at the hotel.

I am delighted to read that your stay was an enjoyable one and hope that you can stay longer next time.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

Stayed for 1 night on a Saturday while up for a function on the Royal Mile. The staff were very friendly and happy to help with all our queries re getting to and from venues, and helped us print off some important information we had left at home with no fuss. They also suggested booking breakfast for the next morning to save us some money (£10 if booked the night before versus £14 if you just pay on the morning), which I felt showed some thought from them. I loved our room - it was a standard king on the first floor overlooking the front of the hotel. No castle view, but the room was flooded with light from the huge windows. Really liked the decor and their beds are super comfy - I really didn't want to get up the next morning. As it was a Saturday night, it was a little noisy outside from the nearby bars. The hotel could do with secondary glazing to help block out some of this noise. It will affect some people, however I am lucky that I am the sort of person that can sleep anywhere and it did not disturb me! Breakfast in the morning was good - plenty of choices to suit different appetites, and once again I found the staff very friendly and helpful, taking time to chat to us about our visit. The only negative about the hotel is the cost of the wifi (approx £14 for 24 hours) - in this day and age, why hotels still charge ridiculous amounts for what is now a basic, expected service is beyond me and smacks of greed. We all know it does not reflect the true cost of providing the service. I know this not directly the hotels choice as it is standard across Hilton's portfolio - perhaps one day they will move in line with most other chains! However, we would definitely return to this hotel without hesitation.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JayF72
ronald_little, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Edinburgh City Centre, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your experience.

Although I am delighted to read that your stay was an enjoyable one and that you would return, I am sorry to read that you found the WiFi to be expensive. The hotel understand the cost associated with this and as such does offer a complimentary service within public areas to balance this which I hope that you took advantage of.

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

My husband & I decided to spend a few days in Edinburgh and Glasgow (our wedding anniversary was on April 30th) and decided to stay at the "new" Hilton. We paid for an upgraded room with views of the Castle which isn't worth the additional money in my opinion.
The hotel is generally very nice, Nick the Reception Manager, was very helpful, nothing seemed to be to much trouble for him.
The rooms offer limited draw space if you were staying for more than a couple of days and the thermostat in the room didn't work.
There isn't a business centre or any computers for you to use in the lobby area, although if you e-mail reception they will print items for you.
The hotel bar lacks atmosphere, Jamie, the bartender makes an excellent Cosmopolitan and was friendly.
It's still early days as the hotel has only been open a couple of weeks.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Micheleuxbridge
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us.

Although I am happy to read that you highlighted Jamie and Nick for offering a great service, I am sorry to read that your stay was not as positive as it could have been.

The air conditioning has not been commissioned at present as you mentioned as well as the business centre which has now been delivered and is awaiting installation later this week.

I am sorry that these issues marred your stay however I do appreciate your feedback and hope that you will consider us again on your next visit to Edinburgh.