“Nice Place To Stay in Edinburgh”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Edinburgh City Centre
Ranked #57 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Nice hotel. Located close to many of the city venues including the Edinburgh Castle - nice view from hotel room. A bit noisy with a castle-facing room though was advised this when I checked in and offered alternatives. Staff nice and helpful, clean room, good breakfast. Overall great experience.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
1  Thank Scott M
ronald_little, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Edinburgh City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear Scott M,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel after your recent stay with us.

I am happy to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and that the team's information regarding rooms at the hotel made the difference.

I appreciate your time and feedback and hope that your overall Edinburgh visit was an enjoyable one.

Ronald Little

Write a ReviewReviews (1,974)

Reviewed 14 June 2014

I stayed here for two nights in June and was so impressed by the hotel itself and the staff. Thanks to HIlton, I got an upgrade to a lovely king room, almost suite, that looked out on the castle. Incredibly comfortable bed, out-of-this world bathroom, and nice sitting area. I can't say enough about the spectacular housekeeping staff! The location put just about everything at a walkable distance and what I couldn't walk to, I caught a bus from a block away. I'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank TravelLib

Dear TravelLib,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your experience.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and for highlight the hard work the Housekeeping Team do every day.

I appreciate your feedback and hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

I stayed here for one night in May . From start to finish I enjoyed the hotel I booked the one bedroom suite and didn't really want to leave the room . Great views and comfy living area and bedroom . Bathroom was spotless as you would expect from hilton . The staff were all very friendly and polite . Bar area modern and relaxing . Location is great right in the centre of Edinburgh everything in walking distance . Car parking not to far away and you get discount when you get your ticket stamped from reception . Room service was used for drinks and then again for sandwiches after arriving back at hotel late . ( sandwiches were not worth the money and very disappointing for a hilton hotel but at four in the morning I'm not to fussed ) when I go to Edinburgh I like to stay in different hotels but I will most likely return to this one. As a hilton hhonors member I was treated just as I would expect . 10 out of 10 from me .

Room Tip: This can be a noisy part of Edinburgh at weekend and during festival so ask for higher floor to avoi...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Eildon100

Dear Eildon100,

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and took advantage of the Junior Suite at the hotel which clearly made your stay.

I am sorry however that your room service food fell short of expectations. The standards at the hotel are not time bound and the sandwich requested at 4am should have been the same as it would have been 12 hours earlier.

Your feedback is appreciated and will be shared with the team to focus on the improvements needed.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

Really nice hotel, all newly renovated, in the Grass Market area of Edinburgh

All staff were friendly, chatty & helpful. Rooms are modern, fairly spacious, with views of the castle

Plenty of choice for breakfast, but have to pay extra for anything other than the cold buffet (as with most Doubletrees this year)

Location is 2 mins walk from the Grass Market, so lots of bars, food places etc, 10 mins walk to West End/top of Princes Street

Looking forward to going back next month!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank John E

Dear John E,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the DoubleTree by Hilton Edinburgh.

I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and highlighted the team as being friendly and helpful.

As a valued Hilton Honors Member, we currently offer a complimentary continental breakfast as highlighted. I am happy however to confirm that as from this week this will be upgraded to a full breakfast for our guests to enjoy.

I appreciate your feedback and hope to welcome you back again on your next Edinburgh visit.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

The Hotel is just a few minutes walk from the Royal Mile, in a wonderful position. There are a couple of strip clubs in the neighborhood but you barely notice them and the area is totally safe.
The room I had was quite big, the bed very comfortable, the bathroom big and everything was clean. Breakfast was ok, even if maybe a couple of more choices would have make the difference.
Personnel is very friendly, and they welcome you at the hotel with a delicious hot chocolate biscuit.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank FFFrancesca68
ronald_little, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Edinburgh City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Dear FFFrancesca68,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the DoubleTree by Hilton Edinburgh City Centre.

I am happy to read that you stay was an enjoyable one and that you found the hotel to be well situated in the city.

I am sorry however to read that breakfast was lacking a few items that you would like to see. As we are always open to suggestions from our guests, please drop my an email with your ideas and I will certainly see what I can do.

I appreciate your time and hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

This hotel is located near the Royal Mile. We enjoyed our stay here and would stay here again if we return to Scotland. The parking isn't a big deal. Be sure to pull up in front of the hotel initially and have them direct you to the parking garage.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
1  Thank 621kristinm
ronald_little, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Edinburgh City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear 621kristinm,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and sharing your experience.

I am happy to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay at the hotel and the car parking arrangement for the hotel worked well for you.

I appreciate your feedback and hope that the rest of your Scotland trip was an enjoyable one.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Yes, you have a view of the castle. But getting to the heart of the city (not the nearby strip clubs) is nearly a 20 minute walk.

My husband has Hilton diamond status, so we chose to go with a hotel within the Hilton family. The Double Tree didn't live up to my expectations. When we arrived in our room, it smelled of smoke. I looked out the window to admire the view and saw cigarette butts that had been left on the sill by the previous guests. The toilet also didn't appear to have been properly flushed. We returned to reception with our bags, and were given an apology, a couple extra drink vouchers and the keys to the room next door.

The second room had a much larger window, but the tv attached to the end of the bed made it impossible to enjoy the castle view. Still, the room was nicely appointed and the bedding was very comfortable.

Breakfast was also a disappointment. The buffet lacked in sufficient choices (the only fruit was watermelon, and it would have been nice to have something besides a muffin or pastry), and anything "hot" was extra, even with Hilton status. We paid 5 GBP and I enjoyed a nice omelet.

As we were given drink vouchers, we used them at the adjacent bar after dinner on our second night. The bar is pretty, but geared more toward older business people than 30-something tourists. Oh, and the vouchers were only good for very basic cocktails or beer, so that was an additional disappointment.

While this hotel's location may be great for those travelling on business, it is not a good choice for tourists.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
ronald_little, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Edinburgh City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Dear Snowbunny 16,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your experience.

I am disappointed to read of your experience at the hotel and would like to sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused.

We value our Hilton Honor guests with our Diamond Members and partners receiving benefits including complimentary continental breakfast each morning as well as a drinks voucher to use at their leisure in the hotel bar.

We pride ourselves in offering an extensive choice for breakfast to give our guests a great start to the day. We clearly fell short on this for you and your husband for which I would like to sincerely apologise.

Your feedback is very much appreciated and will assist us in reviewing our offerings to continually develop our services and product to meet with our guests needs.