“Some improvements needed”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Fort Worth, Texas
“Some improvements needed”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We stayed here with our travel group for four nights beginning June 7. Very modern facility with good room and bath. Although the room and bath were small, they were comfortable. Bed was great! We arrived in a pouring rain and there was no staff to help unload luggage, so we were on our own. Someone missed out on some good tips. The bar and the staff were absolutely wonderful and very accommodating. The food was ok, but we had the same menu two nights in a row. Breakfast was ok, but difficult to get a cup of coffee. Once again, when we were leaving, the staff disappeared and we ere left to load luggage again. Probably not the best location in Edinburgh, tattoo parlors and questionable shops, but no trouble and lots of people out walking around at night.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
ronald_little, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Edinburgh City Centre, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear christa m,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of staying at the hotel.

Although I am happy to read that you found the hotel and team to be very accommodating, I would like to apologise for the lack of service experienced.

We clearly fell short of delivering an exceptional experience for which I would like to sincerely apologise.

Your feedback is appreciated and will be shared with the team to ensure we learn from this.

Ronald Little

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Great service, very friendly and helpful staff at the desk, clean rooms, beautiful interiors, extremely comfy beds, the location is superb! The only thing we felt was missing is another rubbish bin in the room :) One was in the actual room, it would be great to have one in the bathroom as well. Other than that, a very pleasant stay! Thank you!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Dear Lucy_Raz,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel.

I am happy to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and appreciate your feedback.

I am sorry however to read that there was no bathroom bin in your room. This is standard in all rooms however clearly missed in yours.

Your feedback is appreciated and will be followed up with the Housekeeping Manager to ensure the checks in place are more thorough.

Austin, United States
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Nice hotel. Located close to many of the city venues including the Edinburgh Castle - nice view from hotel room. A bit noisy with a castle-facing room though was advised this when I checked in and offered alternatives. Staff nice and helpful, clean room, good breakfast. Overall great experience.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

1 Thank Scott M
Dear Scott M,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel after your recent stay with us.

I am happy to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and that the team's information regarding rooms at the hotel made the difference.

I appreciate your time and feedback and hope that your overall Edinburgh visit was an enjoyable one.

Seattle, WA
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I stayed here for two nights in June and was so impressed by the hotel itself and the staff. Thanks to HIlton, I got an upgrade to a lovely king room, almost suite, that looked out on the castle. Incredibly comfortable bed, out-of-this world bathroom, and nice sitting area. I can't say enough about the spectacular housekeeping staff! The location put just about everything at a walkable distance and what I couldn't walk to, I caught a bus from a block away. I'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank TravelLib
Dear TravelLib,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your experience.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and for highlight the hard work the Housekeeping Team do every day.

I appreciate your feedback and hope to welcome you back again soon.

Galashiels, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I stayed here for one night in May . From start to finish I enjoyed the hotel I booked the one bedroom suite and didn't really want to leave the room . Great views and comfy living area and bedroom . Bathroom was spotless as you would expect from hilton . The staff were all very friendly and polite . Bar area modern and relaxing . Location is great right in the centre of Edinburgh everything in walking distance . Car parking not to far away and you get discount when you get your ticket stamped from reception . Room service was used for drinks and then again for sandwiches after arriving back at hotel late . ( sandwiches were not worth the money and very disappointing for a hilton hotel but at four in the morning I'm not to fussed ) when I go to Edinburgh I like to stay in different hotels but I will most likely return to this one. As a hilton hhonors member I was treated just as I would expect . 10 out of 10 from me .

Room Tip: This can be a noisy part of Edinburgh at weekend and during festival so ask for higher floor to avoi...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Eildon100
Dear Eildon100,

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and took advantage of the Junior Suite at the hotel which clearly made your stay.

I am sorry however that your room service food fell short of expectations. The standards at the hotel are not time bound and the sandwich requested at 4am should have been the same as it would have been 12 hours earlier.

Your feedback is appreciated and will be shared with the team to focus on the improvements needed.

Merthyr Tydfil, Wales
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Really nice hotel, all newly renovated, in the Grass Market area of Edinburgh

All staff were friendly, chatty & helpful. Rooms are modern, fairly spacious, with views of the castle

Plenty of choice for breakfast, but have to pay extra for anything other than the cold buffet (as with most Doubletrees this year)

Location is 2 mins walk from the Grass Market, so lots of bars, food places etc, 10 mins walk to West End/top of Princes Street

Looking forward to going back next month!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank John E
Dear John E,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the DoubleTree by Hilton Edinburgh.

I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and highlighted the team as being friendly and helpful.

As a valued Hilton Honors Member, we currently offer a complimentary continental breakfast as highlighted. I am happy however to confirm that as from this week this will be upgraded to a full breakfast for our guests to enjoy.

I appreciate your feedback and hope to welcome you back again on your next Edinburgh visit.

Trieste, Italy
Reviewed 12 June 2014

The Hotel is just a few minutes walk from the Royal Mile, in a wonderful position. There are a couple of strip clubs in the neighborhood but you barely notice them and the area is totally safe.
The room I had was quite big, the bed very comfortable, the bathroom big and everything was clean. Breakfast was ok, even if maybe a couple of more choices would have make the difference.
Personnel is very friendly, and they welcome you at the hotel with a delicious hot chocolate biscuit.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank FFFrancesca68
ronald_little, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Edinburgh City Centre, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear FFFrancesca68,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the DoubleTree by Hilton Edinburgh City Centre.

I am happy to read that you stay was an enjoyable one and that you found the hotel to be well situated in the city.

I am sorry however to read that breakfast was lacking a few items that you would like to see. As we are always open to suggestions from our guests, please drop my an email with your ideas and I will certainly see what I can do.

I appreciate your time and hope to welcome you back again soon.