“Good value for money and an excellent location”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Edinburgh City Centre
Ranked #46 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersBronze level
North Berwick, United Kingdom
“Good value for money and an excellent location”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Having had to vacate my home for the evening due to my wife having a female hen party I headed into Edinburgh to my hotel.
I know the area well and this has easy access to nightlife and for tourists the added please of being close enough to the Royal Mile and Castle.
On arriving I was met with a friendly smile and provided with excellent information by the lady at the front desk. I was given the option of the castle side or the quieter street but I opted for the view. I wasnt bothered by any noise and it was certainly the right choice in terms of view.
The room was spacious and well stocked with towels and toiletries and a super TV not too far away form the bed which is always an irritant of mine in some hotels. This allowed me to relax and watch the world cup in comfort and enjoy the peace and quiet from the obvious noise from my home 26 miles away.
I always get irritated by Hilton even though I am a card holder that wifi is not free in the hotel and price I consider is excessive if I want surf the net from my room. If you attend a Hampton for example the ones I have stayed in are free to all guests and I see no reason why this hotel should be any different. WIFI should be free to all guests regardless of status and the additional costs to provide the service are minimal.
This hotel is in a central location and its clear to see the rooms are of a good standard.

Room Tip: Remember to ask for a room with a view of the castle...the rooms on each level from about room 120 u...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
ronald_little, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Edinburgh City Centre, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear Andrew S,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during the hen party at your home.

I am delighted that your stay was an enjoyable one and that the room and view suited your needs to comfortable watch the world cup.

I appreciate your feedback regarding WiFi that we are currently reviewing from our quarterly review of services and product from our guest feedback.

We constantly aim to deliver an exceptional experience to all our guests and as such feel that constantly reviewing what we are offering is key to this from feedback from guests such as you.

Your feedback is very much appreciated.

Ronald Little

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed 26 June 2014

My room on 4th floor had a great view of the castle. Room OK, etc.etc. Bit of confusion (unclarity) over when breakfast strarted had me thinking it was too late for me to get to meetings, which meant I never took the opportunity. Conference rate was good value, but the two extra nights were pricey (did not check others as did not want to move. Quite a bit of street noise from clubs nearby - window open due to unseasonable warm weather. Desk didnot ask for ID when I asked for my key to be reprogrammed - could be a security issue.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

1 Thank Ray S
ronald_little, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Edinburgh City Centre, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear Ray S,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for reviewing the hotel.

I am sorry to read that your stay was marred by unclear breakfast times. Although these are publicised at the restaurant opposite reception as well as in the in room directories, the the team are all aware of the time and should have relayed these to you easily.

I am disappointed however to read that you felt security was compromised during your stay. The hotel has a robust system in place regarding guest safety and security and I can only apologise that you felt that this was slack.

We take our guests safety and security seriously and have robust systems and processes in place to ensure this is never compromised.

Please contact me direct to discuss this matter further.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Hawick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2014

As it's a City Centre property it was easiest to get the bus into town and short walk round from Tollcross. First impressions were good and the reception staff friendly and efficient.
The room was upgraded to a top floor Hilton HHonors Floor.
Room (401) was spacious and well appointed. The only downside was it was right next to the entrance to the 24hr gym which meant noise from guests entering the facility very early in the morning.
As i stayed on the first Thursday of the month it meant the wonderful Skybar was open for hotel guests to use. This is a wonderful asset to the hotel with great views to the castle and over the city.
At check in i was offered the free breakfast or points. I now wish i had taken the points. The breakfast was awful. I had 2 other Hilton Family stays that week (Garden Inn and a Doubletree) and their breakfast's were great. The Edinburgh Doubletree breakfast sausages were an unappetising grey colour and the "grilled" bacon was floating in half an inch of liquid. My partner said the scrambled egg was a "watery sludge".
I was aked on check out if i enjoyed my stay and i said yes but the breakfast was poor. The girl said she would note this. There is no email contact address on the hotel homepage if you have to contact them.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank ajc1967
Dear ajc 1967,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the hotel.

ALthough I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay along with the pop up SKYBar offering panoramic view of the city skyline, I would like to apologise for the shortfalls experienced at breakfast.

Clearly we fell short of our breakfast service delivery with our normal high standards falling well short. I have shared your feedback with the team to ensure we learn from this and sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused.

I am also sorry to read that you were unable to locate the contact details of the hotel on our website. I have checked this and the contact number is shown on the homepage of the hotel's site from Hilton. I would ask you to forward the website used so that I can follow this up.

I appreciate your feedback and hope that your overall city visit was an enjoyable one.

Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Mother and daughter shopping weekend. Lovely hotel in a good location. The room was clean, and a good size with up to date decor. Lovely comfy king sized bed. Breakfast very nice the standard you would expect.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

1 Thank Ann C
ronald_little, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Edinburgh City Centre, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Anne C,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and sharing your experience.

I am delighted that you chose to shop in Edinburgh and hope that you also took advantage of the great bars in the city to get some refreshments whilst doing this thirsty activity.

I appreciate your time and hope to welcome you back again soon.

Mocksville, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 19 June 2014

The hotel used to be Pointe Hotel and the building was built in 1896 and at that time it was a store I believe. The room was great and we had a view of the Castle out our window. Once again the service was great, one of the things that I love about Hilton. The beds were great and the room amenities were right there. They have roof top bar for special events and it is open to the public on the first Thursday of every month.

Room Tip: The rooms that face the street on the entrance side are the best.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DaveB59_53
ronald_little, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Edinburgh City Centre, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Dave B59_53,

I am delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your feedback.

I hope that you enjoyed our city and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Fleet, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We spent three nights at the Doubletree on a recent trip to Edinburgh and overall, we really enjoyed our stay. The room was clean, bed very comfy, staff very polite and helpful. Our room was on the 4th floor, unfortunately at the back so no castle view and the window was half covered by the exterior so no real view of anything, but having this room did mean it was extraordinarily quiet - we didn't hear a thing!

We ate at the Bread Street Brasserie and had a really tasty and reasonably priced meal - it took a while for food to come out, but we didn't mind so much and the staff were very apologetic, offering us free drinks. We also took advantage of the "cocktail and cupcake" offer at the very stylish Monboddo Bar and again, this was a real delight.

The room was very small, but the ceilings were incredibly high so it didn't feel claustrophobic, however I think the lighting does need to be improved as it felt quite dark at times. There were a couple of little things in the bathroom which bothered me, like the toilet seat not being attached (and a bit dirty), the bath and sink plugs not quite fitting, and the bathroom taps attached the wall at a crazy angle. Outside of the room, there always seemed to be dirty plates and cups in the stairwell for some reason. The laundry cart was permanently left outside the room next door which made the corridor look messy, and one evening, two bags of rubbish had just been left in the middle of the corridor so we had to step over them. Didn't really leave a good impression.

As others have mentioned, the area the hotel is in is a little run down and seedy, but if you can ignore the unsavoury element, you'll find some lovely independent shops and cafes in the Grassmarket area. It's a short walk away from the castle, the Royal Mile, and Princes Street (including the railway station).

I would definitely stay here again, if only to get another warm cookie!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Laesning
Dear Angelite24,

I appreciate your time in reviewing the hotel.

Although I am happy to read that you would stay with us again, I would like to apologise for the shortfall experienced. The Housekeeping Team do work long hours which does mean that the Trolleys are in the corridors whilst they work however the bins should have been attached to the trolleys to ensure they are not left in the middle of the corridor as highlighted.

I appreciate your feedback which will be shared with the team to highlight the importance of following the processes in place and reduce inconvenience for our guests going forward.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Great little hotel, well located and with very friendly and helpful staff. Parking is a block away but discounted for hotel guests. The room was large and very well appointed. Breakfast was a buffet with limited but acceptable choices. All the attractions are within walking distance.

Room Tip: The corridors are very long so take a room closer to the elevator
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank jaral1202158
Dear Jaral1202158,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel.

I am happy to read that your stay was an enjoyable one and appreciate your feedback.