“Fantastic Hotel”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Edinburgh City Centre
Ranked #51 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Great location, great size of a room, great view of the "back" of the castle. Staff awesome. Good value. Kind of wish we could have had internet in our room but it was quite expensive. Instead we used it in the lobby. Computers there were awesome for checking in to our flight.

Room Tip: Get a little upgrade so you can see the castle:)
1  Thank Elaine H
ronald_little, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Edinburgh City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear Elaine H,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your experience.

I am very happy to read that you found the hotel to suit your needs as well as the team to be "awesome".

Your feedback is very much appreciated and will be shared with the team.

Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

Rooms are of good standard but this was my second stay and on both occasions I've had problems. Room door not locking this time, shower not working. Staff worked hard to improve experience. Check out facilities before unpacking! Fitness room has just one treadmill, one rower, one step machine and one bike - open 24hrs which is good but expect to queue at peak times. Evening meal - poor and close to some very good choices so I wouldn't recommend a package to include evening meal. I'm sure with the Hilton brand behind it, hotel will do well, but I think for price, better choices in the city like hotel du vin.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Autobiography88

Dear Autobiography 88,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel.

I would like to apologise for the issues experienced although delighted that the team worked hard to resolve these to a resolution.

We work tirelessly to deliver an exceptional experience at the hotel and it is disappointing when things go wrong however when they do, it is clear that we make it right quickly so thank you for your feedback.

I am sorry that we fell short due to teething problems experienced and the shortfalls experienced.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

The front service was quick and friendly, yet professional. The hotel location was convenient as you can walk to most parts of the city. The corridor to the room and the room itself were rather dark and luck of light. It felt more like a business hotel rather than a luxurious romantic hotel. Overall, not too bad.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
1  Thank Ayumi T

Dear Ayumi,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for offering your feedback.

I am sorry to read that your stay was not as good as we both would have hoped and sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused due to the design of lighting in the hotel.

I hope that this did not mar your stay and that you enjoyed your Edinburgh visit.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

I stayed here with my boyfriend as an early birthday treat for him. We booked a king deluxe with a castle view, on arriving we were too early to check in but the receptionists on duty were lovely and took our luggage so we could go out and enjoy our day.

On check in we received a welcome cookie (which was tasty) and popped up to the third floor to start our stay. The rooms are what you would expect from an older building being that they are narrow but long rooms however they are furnished to a high standard and the beds are so comfy! The bathroom is a good size as is room itself. Our castle view was beautiful and as for people complaining about the street noise… it’s Edinburgh Centre, what do you expect? It wasn’t even that noisy, we slept with the window open all night. The nearby bars have courteous security who are aware that there’s a hotel nearby and keep the street noise down.

I would recommend the Dragonfly cocktail bar, a mere couple of minutes away from the hotel. The prices and atmosphere are great and they really know what they’re doing.

The customer service that myself and my boyfriend received from Annie the receptionist was the best we’ve had. She knew the surrounding area well, she also showed us different things within the hotel and answered all of our questions. It was a joy to see her again in the morning when we checked out. I would definitely return to this hotel, for her customer service alone. Thanks so much for making it a great stay 

Room Tip: definitely worth getting a castle view
1  Thank Rachael M

Dear Rachel M,

I am delighted to read that your stay was a pleasurable one and that you found the service received specifically from Annie to the best ever.

I appreciate your feedback and hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Having had to vacate my home for the evening due to my wife having a female hen party I headed into Edinburgh to my hotel.
I know the area well and this has easy access to nightlife and for tourists the added please of being close enough to the Royal Mile and Castle.
On arriving I was met with a friendly smile and provided with excellent information by the lady at the front desk. I was given the option of the castle side or the quieter street but I opted for the view. I wasnt bothered by any noise and it was certainly the right choice in terms of view.
The room was spacious and well stocked with towels and toiletries and a super TV not too far away form the bed which is always an irritant of mine in some hotels. This allowed me to relax and watch the world cup in comfort and enjoy the peace and quiet from the obvious noise from my home 26 miles away.
I always get irritated by Hilton even though I am a card holder that wifi is not free in the hotel and price I consider is excessive if I want surf the net from my room. If you attend a Hampton for example the ones I have stayed in are free to all guests and I see no reason why this hotel should be any different. WIFI should be free to all guests regardless of status and the additional costs to provide the service are minimal.
This hotel is in a central location and its clear to see the rooms are of a good standard.

Room Tip: Remember to ask for a room with a view of the castle...the rooms on each level from about room 120 u...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Dear Andrew S,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during the hen party at your home.

I am delighted that your stay was an enjoyable one and that the room and view suited your needs to comfortable watch the world cup.

I appreciate your feedback regarding WiFi that we are currently reviewing from our quarterly review of services and product from our guest feedback.

We constantly aim to deliver an exceptional experience to all our guests and as such feel that constantly reviewing what we are offering is key to this from feedback from guests such as you.

Your feedback is very much appreciated.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

My room on 4th floor had a great view of the castle. Room OK, etc.etc. Bit of confusion (unclarity) over when breakfast strarted had me thinking it was too late for me to get to meetings, which meant I never took the opportunity. Conference rate was good value, but the two extra nights were pricey (did not check others as did not want to move. Quite a bit of street noise from clubs nearby - window open due to unseasonable warm weather. Desk didnot ask for ID when I asked for my key to be reprogrammed - could be a security issue.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
1  Thank Ray S
ronald_little, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Edinburgh City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear Ray S,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for reviewing the hotel.

I am sorry to read that your stay was marred by unclear breakfast times. Although these are publicised at the restaurant opposite reception as well as in the in room directories, the the team are all aware of the time and should have relayed these to you easily.

I am disappointed however to read that you felt security was compromised during your stay. The hotel has a robust system in place regarding guest safety and security and I can only apologise that you felt that this was slack.

We take our guests safety and security seriously and have robust systems and processes in place to ensure this is never compromised.

Please contact me direct to discuss this matter further.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

As it's a City Centre property it was easiest to get the bus into town and short walk round from Tollcross. First impressions were good and the reception staff friendly and efficient.
The room was upgraded to a top floor Hilton HHonors Floor.
Room (401) was spacious and well appointed. The only downside was it was right next to the entrance to the 24hr gym which meant noise from guests entering the facility very early in the morning.
As i stayed on the first Thursday of the month it meant the wonderful Skybar was open for hotel guests to use. This is a wonderful asset to the hotel with great views to the castle and over the city.
At check in i was offered the free breakfast or points. I now wish i had taken the points. The breakfast was awful. I had 2 other Hilton Family stays that week (Garden Inn and a Doubletree) and their breakfast's were great. The Edinburgh Doubletree breakfast sausages were an unappetising grey colour and the "grilled" bacon was floating in half an inch of liquid. My partner said the scrambled egg was a "watery sludge".
I was aked on check out if i enjoyed my stay and i said yes but the breakfast was poor. The girl said she would note this. There is no email contact address on the hotel homepage if you have to contact them.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank ajc1967

Dear ajc 1967,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the hotel.

ALthough I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay along with the pop up SKYBar offering panoramic view of the city skyline, I would like to apologise for the shortfalls experienced at breakfast.

Clearly we fell short of our breakfast service delivery with our normal high standards falling well short. I have shared your feedback with the team to ensure we learn from this and sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused.

I am also sorry to read that you were unable to locate the contact details of the hotel on our website. I have checked this and the contact number is shown on the homepage of the hotel's site from Hilton. I would ask you to forward the website used so that I can follow this up.

I appreciate your feedback and hope that your overall city visit was an enjoyable one.