“Beautiful place, nice cocktails but strange atmosphere”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Absolutely Cocktail Bar
Ranked #179 of 214 Nightlife in Edinburgh
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Beautiful place, nice cocktails but strange atmosphere”
Reviewed 23 May 2013

I came over from glasgow to visit my sister and popped inside for a some cocktails after walking past. I was greeted a Spanish girl who told us to have a seat. The bar is absolutely gorgeous and nibbles were provided :-)

The hostess asked for our orders but we still havent really looked at the menu and decided yet, this happened a number of times and I felt it was abit rude to keep interrupting us. i wanted a relaxed evening and i felt under pressure to choose. Her breath smelled of smoke which is fine for a tacky old man bar but not for a nice establishment like this. (maybe you can look into this)

We ordered and the drinks were served very fast. I had a westside and my friends had a strawberry daiquiri. they looked and tasted amazing. As the night went along more people filled the place and i wanted to order again but the hostess was busy on her phone and had her back turned to us so i went up to the bar to order. The bar staff behind the bar were very friendly and funny as i asked him any recommendations. the hostess finally saw us and told us to sit back down as table serve was provided. I found it quite funny that they put the fun people with personalities behind the bar and the robotic people to serve us.

My friend and I drank up and left. Overall it was a nice experience with great cocktails but I wont be back as I felt that the atmosphere was strange and dull which i would never have thought a cocktail bar would be

Visited May 2013
3 Thank Glasgow_Sarah_Whitey

Edinburgh
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Great potential but might want to rethink a few things”
Reviewed 14 April 2013

My friend and I decided to check out this bar on Friday night (12/04). Upon entering, we were impressed by the decor and by how polite and attentive the staff were. We were also struck by how quiet the place was, given that this was a Friday night. Many tables in the relatively small bar were unoccupied. We, however, put this down to the fact that this is a fairly new establishment.

We sat at a table and selected our drinks. My friend was driving, and thus was sticking to 'Mocktails'. We could not see a section for this on the menu (might be worth them popping one in), so my friend asked for one to be made for her. I selected a cocktail from the menu, priced at £8.

We both enjoyed our drinks, though I was fairly stunned when I paid for them and realised that her Mocktail had cost the exact same as my drink. I do not know of any other cocktail bar that would charge as much for a non-alcoholic drink as an alcoholic drink- I'm kind of glad we only stayed for the one!

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Pretentious, expensive and very very slow”
Reviewed 3 March 2013 via mobile

I joined a few friends in my first visit to this bar. Not impressed at all after waiting about 20 minutes to get served and then ordered three drinks called moo moo's that cost £20!! The atmosphere was not great or maybe I felt old. It was full of tango'd women who looked like they.... Better not say.. Won't be back, overpriced pretentious pish with very slow service.

3 Thank Chunk828
skene90, Manager at Absolutely Cocktail Bar, responded to this review, 4 March 2013
Hello and thank you for taking the time to share your feelings with us about your visit.

Firstly I would like to say sorry that you did not enjoy your time within our cocktail bar.

I want to address your points on an individual basis.

You state you waited 20 minutes for drinks called "moo moo's". While we do not offer drinks by that name, we remember you asked for 8 woo woo's and we added this into the service bar for preparation. You joined us for drinks at 930pm on a Saturday night and we were at capacity with guests and as you would have seen there was a lot of people at the bar. We are not a fast food type bar, we make cocktails to order and some of the cocktails can be very time consuming and even with 50 people waiting for cocktails we still offered table service and tried to keep the ticket times down to a minimum. So I would like to say sorry about your wait but the price I cannot comment on as 20 pounds does not go 3 ways so I am unsure how 3 drinks cost 20 pounds. Our bar prices are the most competitive in town.

In regards to the atmosphere, I fully believe we have one of the best looking bars in Edinburgh with a top DJ playing every weekend, and on the night in question it was RnB night so we played RnB music. This again is not to everyone's taste but we do advertise our music themes on our facebook page well in advance.

In regards to our guests on the night we think it is very unfair and judgmental of you to take to a national website to cast comment on how people looked or how they were dressed. We set a door policy of smart/casual and everyone met that criteria and more.

You finish off your comment with a swear and call us pretentious. This point surprised me more than the rest as we think we are the most unpretentious city center location in Edinburgh. We encourage personality, humor and individualism within our bar. We like to see our bar having fun and none of our cocktail bartenders have had any cocktail experience before joining us and we have trained them to make cocktails expertly but not to have the usual "swagger" that goes with it. We are very open and our staff dedicate themselves to their job and their guests with no preconceptions.

Absolutely Cocktail Bar pride themselves on being a persons local bar where they can chill out, have a laugh with staff or enjoy a night out, so I just so not understand this comment.

I wish to thank you for letting me comment on your concerns and hope that if you are ever in town again and wish to enjoy a cocktail that you give us a chance to further impress you with our product.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“The best cocktail I have ever had!!”
Reviewed 3 March 2013

Me and my friends found this newly opened place on our "girls night out". The place amazed us by great classy décor, vibrant atmosphere, table service and an extraordinary menu as many of the cocktails are absolutely unique and can not be found anywhere else! My winner was delicious Blueberry mojito!!
Amazing place for night out in style or just relaxed afternoon after shopping!! We all just love it there!!

2 Thank R0niCs
Hello and thanks for taking the time to review us.

We are glad you enjoyed our cocktail bar as well as our BlueBerry Mojito! One of our favorites also!

We no doublt look forward to welcoming you back to the bar and exceeding your expectations once more!
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Would definitely recommend!!”
Reviewed 27 February 2013

Even though this place si quite difficult to find on Hanover street, it is absolutely fantastic!! I was amazed by the posh décor and the ambiance of the place. The staff is knowledgeable and the unique cocktails are just delicious. Blueberry mojito is my absolute favourite!!!

3 Thank AlzbK
skene90, Manager at Absolutely Cocktail Bar, responded to this review, 28 February 2013
Hello and thank you for taking the time out to review us on TripAdvisor.

We are glad you loved us and the Blue Berry Mojito is a favourite with nearly everyone!

We hope to see you back in the bar soon.