“2nd time booking and learned even more!”
Review of Iconic Tours

Private Central Highlands driving tour
Ranked #10 of 203 Tours in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Hi, we're Will and Chris, Edinburgh locals who are passionate about where we live and love to show you iconic sights, tell you about amazing characters, share fascinating tales and give you the inside stories that only the locals know. We offer tours to suit everyone's needs, whether you are a solo traveler, on holiday with friends or coming with family of any age. Our tours are only for small groups or on a private basis and we offer different specialist tours to give you an experience you will never forget. We offer walking and driving tours where we go beyond the usual stories to give you real insight into the history of our country and those who shaped it in easy to understand terms that is fun for all the family. For those wanting something a bit different we also offer photo tours where we use our background as professional photographers to show you how to get the best out of any camera, whether it's a DSLR, compact or smart phone whilst we see wonderful scenes and learn about the places we photograph. All of our tours are fun, friendly and relaxed. They are not scripted, our routes change depending on the weather and more often that not it's tailored to your needs. We look forward to welcoming you soon.
Glenrothes, United Kingdom
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“2nd time booking and learned even more!”
Reviewed 16 March 2014

As you can see if you go back through older reviews I was out with Will from Iconic Edinburgh Photo tours early last year and learned so much from Will which prompted me into writing one of his first reviews on Trip Adviser. At the time I was using a Fuji bridge camera and booked a day tour after receiving it as a gift.
It turned out to be one of the best gifts I've had as it really ignited my interest in photography.
This time I had upgraded to a DSLR (which when purchasing Will was more than happy to offer me advice on when I contacted him - fantastic after sales customer service) and decided to go back out and pick up some camera specific tips and also Will had recommended a night tour.
Yet again the whole tour was excellent as well as Will's fascinating knowledge of Edinburgh old and new. From Harry Potter to Frankenstein you'll be amazed at how he brings what is around you to life.
Due to a night tour we really utilised tripods to get the best out of the shots and spent a lot of the time working on long exposure shots which I had previously been practising with. Will yet again surprised me with a few simple techniques that could really change the look and feel of your final shot.
Coming away from the tour I have without doubt been able to enhance my photography even further.
We managed to grab a couple of craft beers after the tour at a really nice pub that Will recommended called the Jolly Judge. This was a pub I'd never drank in before but thought it was great and plan to go back the next time I'm out in Edinburgh.
Will has a really good knowledge of craft beers and whisky so if you like a 'wee dram' or pint it's always a great way to end the tour!

Would I book again?

Yes......and I'm sure I'd still learn loads more!

Thanks again Will for yet another great photo tour and I look forward to seeing your business continue to grow and become even more successful through your knowledge, customer service, passion for Edinburgh and photography.

Visited March 2014
Willrobb, Owner at Iconic Tours, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear Paul,

Thank you for taking the time to write another great review. It was brilliant to see you again for the tour and I'm glad I could make it a very different experience in terms of the route and also doing a night tour.

It was my pleasure to provide advice for when you were buying your DSLR and I'm really impressed by the images you have taken on your travels. You really have a creative eye and it's a real pleasure to see how your photography skills continue to grow and grow.

I look forward to seeing you again.

• Indonesian first
  • Korean first
York, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Brilliant, such a great concept, learning and a tour combined”
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I learned so much & really enjoyed the tour. I am now looking to book my husband on a tour soon as he was so jealous from the fantastic photos I had to show. This is a must do if you want great photos whilst at the same time experiencing some hidden facts about Edinburgh. What else can I say but thank you to Will for the tour, his expertise and the great results from the pics taken.

Dear Beth,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. I'm very happy to hear you enjoyed the tour so much and managed to learn a lot.

I'm kind of glad to hear your husband was so jealous about the photos and he will be joining you for a tour in the near future.

I look forward to seeing you both again.

Whitesboro, New York
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Great photo tour”
Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

I took a tour with will starting just before sunrise, will took the time to point out a lot of small details that all make for fun and interesting photos. Around every turn Will had a story or a fun fact about where we were in the tour.

The only bad thing was the time went way to quick and I had to cut my tour off to get back to the rest of my traveling party.

I can highly recommend this photo tour for anyone, no matter what your level of photographic experience is.

1 Thank JoeCosentino
Hi Joe,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. I was more than happy to rearrange the time for an earlier start to your tour and I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed all the little details and the stories to accompany them.

It was a shame you had to leave a bit earlier to join your traveling companions, I hope your curling in Inverness went well and anytime you are back in Scotland please let me.

Dunfermline, United Kingdom
“Brilliant photographic tour in Baltic Edinburgh”
Reviewed 27 February 2014

We went for the 7am tour and although it was freezing to start with Will was very kind and kept us moving and coffee stops. He was very informative and matched our ability to what he showed us to do. I found the mix of history and photography interesting and his knowledge of all the nooks and crannies in Edinburgh was great. We ended up after three hours with so much useful information on how to take better photographs and how to frame shots. Was really impressed and would highly recommend the tour and after initially thinking we were mad to have picked the 7am start, i actually think it was the best time, as the light was good and the streets were quiet. I have moved off my standard settings when taking photographs at work and will be attempting moving objects ( grandchildren) in a couple of weeks, now that I know how to set up the camera.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Hi Anne,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. It was indeed a bit on the baltic side (coffee always helps).

I'm glad you liked the mix of photography teaching and hearing about Edinburgh's history, there are so many amazing things to see and photograph and I always think knowing about what you are photographing makes all the difference.

Maybe we were a bit mad to be out early doing a tour on a freezing day, but the results were amazing and it was great fun meeting you both.

WIll
Linlithgow, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Great day out!”
Reviewed 27 February 2014

My daughter bought this as a present for me knowing I used to be a keen SLR photographer but had slipped into point and shoot thanks to the digital age. I have just bought a bridge camera to rekindle my enthusiasm and it was terrific to be shown how to get the best from it in such an informal and friendly way. My daughter brought her compact camera and Will showed her how to use manual modes to get the best from it. We saw parts of Edinburgh that we usually don't notice and learned a lot from Will about the areas we visited. All in all it was the perfect balance between learning about photography and the city. Well done Will. Thanks for a memorable tour and the invaluable advice on how to get the best out of my new camera!

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Willrobb, Owner at Iconic Tours, responded to this review, 2 March 2014
Thanks for taking the time to write such a lovely review,

It was really my pleasure to show you round the city and I'm happy I managed to ignite a bit more passion for photography in you both. Your bridge camera was really versatile and the photo you got of the "Harry Potter" grave as someone was pointing a wand to it was absolutely brilliant, my favourite one of there to date.

All the best and hope to see you again,