“A terrific experience”

Private Central Highlands driving tour
Ranked #21 of 222 Tours in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Hi, we're Iconic Tours, a small team of Edinburgh and Scotland locals who are passionate about where we live and love to show you iconic sights, tell you about amazing characters, share fascinating tales and give you the inside stories that only the locals know. On all our tours you will feel like you are being shown around by an old friend rather than a guide. We offer tours to suit everyone's needs, whether you are a solo traveler, on holiday with friends or coming with family of any age. Our tours are on a private basis and we offer different specialist tours to give you an experience you will never forget. We offer walking and driving tours where we go beyond the usual stories to give you real insight into the history of our country and those who shaped it in easy to understand terms that is fun for all the family. Whether it's history, stories, amazing scenery, castles, food, whisky or a combination of everything you are after, we can deliver and more.
Reviewed 26 March 2014

An eduction in more ways than one. Will, as well as bring very informative in relation to photography was also very knowledgeable about Edinburgh history which he related in a very amiable manner. Overall, a very worthwhile tour.

Willrobb, Owner at Iconic Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Dear Shelagh,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. I'm very happy to hear that you found the tour very worthwhile, both in terms of photography knowledge and for finding out more about Edinburgh's history. I love to combine them both as the two combined can make a very special memory of a visit to this wonderful city.

Thanks again and I look forward to seeing you again.

All reviews
"amazing photos"
in 7 reviews
"love photography"
in 4 reviews
"walking tour of old town"
"professional photographer"
"three hours"
in 9 reviews
"great company"

Reviewed 24 March 2014

I was lucky to be given a Private Tour with Iconic Edinburgh Photo as a Christmas present. Although I've lived in the city for almost 10 years I had great fun exploring it with Will. I learned a lot about the history of the Old Town as well as trying out some new camera techniques. Will is a patient teacher and an informative guide. A highly recommended experience for tourists and locals alike.

Willrobb, Owner at Iconic Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Dear KirCam,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I'm glad this Christmas present was such a good gift for you. I was more than happy to teach you a few techniques and help you understand your camera settings and I'm always happy to hear that my facts and tales of Edinburgh proved to be popular as well.

Kind regards

Reviewed 23 March 2014

This 3-hour tour of some key Edinburgh sights - as well as some tucked-away gems - was excellent. Getting tips on improving the composition of my photos, as well as making the most of the camera settings, was underpinned by being told the history of things I was shooting.

Will kept it interesting and fun throughout, bringing life to the various scenes, and I had a fantastic time. I've even found myself looking at things differently since (not even with camera in hand) - picking out interesting details high up a building, for example.

I did the early-morning tour on a Sunday, and would thoroughly recommend this time: the light was great, and Edinburgh was extremely quiet. No difficulty getting shots without people in the way!

Thanks, Will!

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
Willrobb, Owner at Iconic Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear Bryan,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for the tour. I'm glad you liked the quiet of the early morning option in Edinburgh and I'm very happy to hear that all the tips on the manual settings in which to get the best out of the camera as well as the hints on composition allowed you to get so much out of the day. It's wonderful to hear you are seeing things in different ways now, even without the camera.

I'm always very happy to hear that the stories managed to bring to life everything we were photographing, as I like to tell people, it's much more than just a photography lesson, by telling people the background of what we are photographing I do try to bring Edinburgh's past to life, whether it's for a local like yourself or someone visiting from overseas.

Kind regards and hope to see you around town again soon.

Reviewed 21 March 2014

Recieved a voucher for a christmas present, and loved every minute of it. Will not only has excellent knowledge of cameras and photography but also manages to make history fun by infusing the pair seemlessly. i managed to see more of edinburgh in 3 hours than i had managed in 2 years living here. it was well worth the early rise and cant wait to get on the night tour.

Dear Mark,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. I'm glad this Christmas gift turned out to be something you could greatly enjoy despite the fact you are already a very proficient photographer. As you found out it's not just about photography, it's about the history of what we are photographing as well and I'm glad you enjoyed that aspect of the tour so much as well.

I look forward to having you back for a night tour.

Kind regards

See more reviews
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I absolutely loved this tour!! I had a new camera, a Canon Power Shot, which I was not familiar with yet. I learned so much from Will, from Iconic Edinburgh Tours, as he explained the various functions to me as we walked round Edinburgh with its quaint little lanes, ancient buildings and graves, pausing to take photos that were infinitely better than the ones I have taken in the past. In fact, since I came home I have been out with the camera at every opportunity. Will made the tour so much more fascinating by going over the history and myths attached to the various areas we walked through, and introducing me to the various headstones with names that appear in the Harry Potter books. As someone who usually has the camera on auto I have a real sense of achievement in using some of the other camera functions that can add so much more atmosphere to the photo. Thank you Will.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Dear Janet,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review.

I'm very happy to hear that enjoyed the tour so much and that you learned a lot more about the functions of your camera whilst learning about the history, myths and literature from this great city.

Moreover, I'm extremely happy to hear that you got a real sense of achievement from the day and you've been taking your camera back out with you and continuing to enjoy what your camera can do. As well as giving everyone a great experience on the day, I aim to give everyone a new found love for photography that will keep them going out with their camera just as you have done.

Happy shooting,