“Excellent Christmas Present”

Private Central Highlands driving tour
Ranked #10 of 203 Tours in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Hi, we're Will and Chris, Edinburgh locals who are passionate about where we live and love to show you iconic sights, tell you about amazing characters, share fascinating tales and give you the inside stories that only the locals know. We offer tours to suit everyone's needs, whether you are a solo traveler, on holiday with friends or coming with family of any age. Our tours are only for small groups or on a private basis and we offer different specialist tours to give you an experience you will never forget. We offer walking and driving tours where we go beyond the usual stories to give you real insight into the history of our country and those who shaped it in easy to understand terms that is fun for all the family. For those wanting something a bit different we also offer photo tours where we use our background as professional photographers to show you how to get the best out of any camera, whether it's a DSLR, compact or smart phone whilst we see wonderful scenes and learn about the places we photograph. All of our tours are fun, friendly and relaxed. They are not scripted, our routes change depending on the weather and more often that not it's tailored to your needs. We look forward to welcoming you soon.
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Excellent Christmas Present”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I think I was a bit cheeky because I gave a photo tour to my husband for Christmas and added myself on as well! We had a great time with Will and, even though we are from Edinburgh, we were able to see parts of it we hadn't noticed before...and through different eyes as well. We were lucky with the weather and were shown how to use our Sony Cybershots in manual mode, which was interesting (if a little tricky at times!). Not long after our tour, we headed up to the very north of Scotland and were able to put some of what we'd learned into practice. So, thanks Will. Highly recommended.

1 Thank Heather P
Willrobb, Owner at Iconic Tours, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear Heather,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. I'm very happy that the Christmas gift for Jonathan turned into a good day out for you too when you decided to come join as well. I'm really happy you both managed to get your heads around your cybershots in no time on the manual modes. You both already had a great eye for it and just needed to find out a little bit more about how to get the best out of your cameras with the manual settings and I was glad I could help.

Very happy to hear you could keep using what you earned when you went up North as well.

All the best,

• Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Scotland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Top class photography tour and more!”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I had heard many good things about Will's tours from friends, and finally I found time to do one myself. I don't know why I left it so long! I have a Canon S95 and other than sticking it on 'auto' and clicking away, I had never really gotten to grips with any of its functions. Will's pre-tour 'tips & tricks' guide and his expert guidance on the tour soon put paid to that and my photos now look much better as a result. When it comes to photography Will clearly knows what he's talking about, and I also found the historical notes about Edinburgh, along with photos from days of old, equally impressive. I've lived here for 9 years and knew barely a fraction of the details of my 'home' city! Thanks to Will, I'm no longer at the mercy of Canon's 'auto' function and I'm better placed to take the photos I want to take, not to mention inform others about the local history of this beautiful city. Can't recommend this tour enough.

Willrobb, Owner at Iconic Tours, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear Avonbridge,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I'm glad to hear the tour came so highly recommended from friends and that you got so much from the tour.

You canon S95 camera is a brilliant compact. You have full manual control available, a nice wide aperture to help get that background blur and the photos you were getting on the day were phenomenal. I'm glad my tips and tricks PDF file helped out before you came for the tour and you got your head around the concepts in no time at all. I hope you managed to get some great shots on the trip to the Highlands you were taking afterwards as well.

It's always great to hear that the stories you heard were interesting for you as well. I'm always learning something new about the city as well, there is an endless amount of fascinating stories and I'm always happy to share what I can.

All the best and hope to see you again for another tour.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Great day with Iconic Edinburgh Photo Tours!”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

I scheduled a private lesson with Will with the aim of focusing on flash photography. It's an area of photography that I've never been very comfortable with and was hoping to improving my level of understanding. Will was great. He brought along his flash unit and wireless transmitter for me to get some hands-on experience.

The three hours flew by as we wandered the city experimenting with various uses of the flash, and other photographic techniques. The lesson was not only valuable in making me more comfortable with the flash, but I've noticed -- in the weeks since my lesson -- that I find myself much more aware of so many more possibilities of different angles and framing -- not only of new locations and subjects, but also of places I've shot many, many times in the past.

I look forward to another lesson with Will or one of his tours the next time I'm in Edinburgh. And I highly recommend Iconic Edinburgh Photo Tours to anyone interested in photography -- of all skill levels.

Visited March 2014
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Dear Linda,

Many thanks for taking the time to write such a wonderful review.

It really was my pleasure to do something a bit different and it was great to help you out with some flash work. Using a flash is something I find fundamental in my work as a photographer and I was happy to pass on as much knowledge as I could in our time. I'm very happy you became much more comfortable using flash and the photos you posted up here were great, I really love the B&W shot of Barries Close with the flash casting shadows through the railings.

I hope your photography business grows and grows, thanks for showing me so many great portraits in the day too.

Hope to see you again,

“Fantastic Tour”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Both myself and my sister joined the Tour with Will. We both have different levels in Photography me being a amateur and her more advance both using DSLR's. Our Group tour started with covering the basics and checking our trying out settings .With that covered, our group then moved around the City taking photos also we learnt about some history of the City of Edinburgh itself with our guide Will.Which was very interesting and informative.
Both of us came back home with great photos that we are very happy and been getting lovely comments form others about the photos we took. Everything was explained well and we both learn new things and actually had lots of fun with our cameras. Highly recommend and would like to return for more tours.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Dear Tartan Kawaii,

I'm very happy to hear that both your sister and yourself enjoyed your group tour so much. The small groups are always fun and I was happy everyone got on well and you learned more about your cameras as well as Edinburgh.

You both took some great shots on the day and the positive comments you have been getting are well deserved. I look forward to seeing you both again for another tour some day.

All the best,

Atlanta, Georgia
“Excellent experience”
Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

Our family of four had four different camera types and four levels of experience. Will was great with us; we all learned a lot and had a wonderful time. Touring with teens can be difficult at times, but learning some photography skills while exploring a beautiful, historic city was the perfect way to keep everone engaged and enjoying themselves. Would highly recommend.

Dear pace 121212,

I was very happy to meet you and your family and you you all around Edinburgh whilst also showing some of you how to get the most out of your cameras. You all have an artist inside of you and the photos both of you and the kids were getting were brilliant. You were getting some unique angles and mesmerizing shots and I'm glad the stories kept everyone interested as well.

It was a real pleasure to meet you and I'd love to meet you again any time you make it back to this wonderful city.