“Loved it, informative & fun ending up with great photos!”
Review of Iconic Tours

Edinburgh Private Walking Tour
Ranked #20 of 202 Tours in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Hi, we're Will and Chris, Edinburgh locals who are passionate about where we live and love to show you iconic sights, tell you about amazing characters, share fascinating tales and give you the inside stories that only the locals know. We offer tours to suit everyone's needs, whether you are a solo traveler, on holiday with friends or coming with family of any age. Our tours are only for small groups or on a private basis and we offer different specialist tours to give you an experience you will never forget. We offer walking and driving tours where we go beyond the usual stories to give you real insight into the history of our country and those who shaped it in easy to understand terms that is fun for all the family. For those wanting something a bit different we also offer photo tours where we use our background as professional photographers to show you how to get the best out of any camera, whether it's a DSLR, compact or smart phone whilst we see wonderful scenes and learn about the places we photograph. All of our tours are fun, friendly and relaxed. They are not scripted, our routes change depending on the weather and more often that not it's tailored to your needs. We look forward to welcoming you soon.
Perth Western Australia
64 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 80 helpful votes
“Loved it, informative & fun ending up with great photos!”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Thank you Will - I had the best fun on my private photographic tour with you. Not only did you explain concepts and photographic techniques clearly and quickly but you made sure the tour itself was informative and fun. You pointed out places of interest and gave the stories behind these places.
Your advice on my own camera gear was based on many years of knowledge and your help with understanding some of the settings was invaluable to me. I was able to improve my composition skills and exposure knowledge in the 3 too short hours we spent together.
I highly recommend your tour to anyone wanting to improve their knowledge of photography, find great places to photograph that are off the beaten trail and generally have fun doing it!
Well done Will I particularly appreciated the fact that you are not a "camera snob" and advised me to have fun with my photography and not get to hung up on "always thinking you have to shoot on manual when you might miss the shot fiddling around with the settings"!

Visited June 2014
1 Thank mytimenow
Willrobb, Owner at Iconic Tours, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Hi Heather,

Thank you of taking the time to write a review for your private tour from last week. It was a real pleasure to meet you and I'm so happy that you managed to learn so much about your camera and get some great pics. It's really nice to know you liked all the little stories as well, Indinhave fun telling them.

It's also very nice of you to recognise I'm not a camera snob. At the end of the day photography has to be fun for the person taking photos, whether it's a shot that was taken on an auto mode in a point and shoot or full manual mode in a DSLR the point is you should be happy with the result and be proud to have taken it.

All the best and hope to see you again.

• Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Port Colborne, Canada
“Worth it! Do it!”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

If you are planning to visit Edinburgh I strongly advise you to make an appointment with Will Robb at the beginning of trip. Not only does he know the local history, but the tips and amazing help he provides gives you memories that can be shared for generations to come. I had no idea that my camera could produce such crisp, clear pictures until Will helped me. He is exceptionally skilled in all aspects of photography and is very patient when helping you learn your camera. If you are going to spend hundreds on a vacation, it is worth it to spend a little more with Will and get pictures that you actually want to save and show off! He was wonderful company, on time, more than reasonably priced and my pictures are amazing! Do it!

Visited September 2013
Willrobb, Owner at Iconic Tours, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Hi Barb,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a kind review.

I'm really glad you managed to use your camera to it's full potential and get such great photos on our tour. Once you grasp the basics as you very quickly did, the res t was easy.

I am very happy that you'd recommend the tour to someone at the start of their trip, I really agree with you there as it allows people to learn a what they need to get great photos throughout their holidays here.

It was a pleasure to spend some time with you and hope to see you again some day.

All the best,

Redondo Beach, California
“An amazing day in Edinburgh”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Will is an exceptional teacher and brought us to amazing places in Edinburgh that we would never have seen on our own. He was informative, funny and quite a fantastic library of knowledge on taking photos. He is worth every penny! Thanks so much for making this day one of the best on our vacation.

Visited May 2014
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Willrobb, Owner at Iconic Tours, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Hey Teresa,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review after your trip to the UK and Ireland. I'm really happy to hear you enjoyed the tour with me so much and it was one of the highlights of your trip. It's also very nice to know that the stories (factual and funny) were appreciated as much as the photo tips, it's good to have a good rounded idea about what we are seeing and photographing.

All the best and hope to see you both again some day.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Inspired”
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

I live in Edinburgh and have been out with Will on a couple of his Private Tours, once by myself and also with my partner Mark.
Will's tours are perfectly tailored to your ability and your interests and the photography is peppered with history, facts and fun anecdotes that make for a really enjoyable experience.
We've got great shots of our home city and have been inspired by Will to get out there and get even more ... we just need to get our laptop working to share and print them!!

Visited May 2014
Willrobb, Owner at Iconic Tours, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear Suzanne,

Thanks for taking the time to wrote a review, it's much appreciated.

It's great to hear that after two different private tours taking in different routes and different stories you enjoyed both so much. It was great to meet Mark on our second tour and I really enjoyed the laughs as we went around the city and it's great to know I can still surprise some locals like yourselves with some places you haven't visited and some stories you haven't heard. Also, the photos you were both getting were superb and it's wonderful to hear you've been inspired to keep going out and getting more photos.

All the best and hope to see you again.

Calgary, Canada
84 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Fantastic experience”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I'm so glad I decided to take this photo tour with Will. I booked a group tour, but ended up being the only one on it, and Will didn't once expect me to pay the private fee, which was really nice for a poor student. He took me around different places in Edinburgh, which I wouldn't have had time to visit otherwise. Will tailored the tour to my interests, taking me to places related to Harry Potter.

Not only did I get some amazing photos, but I learned a lot about my camera. Since I was there in the winter, Will and I were able to take some nice night shots despite beginning the 3-hour tour at 2 p.m. I will be going back to Edinburgh in July and plan on taking another tour with him if possible.

Visited January 2014
Willrobb, Owner at Iconic Tours, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Hi Ally,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review even though it's been a while since you visited, I really appreciate it and it was really nice to meet your mother too when she came on the tour too.

No problem at all about the tour ending up being a private tour for the group price, a group that were supposed to be joining pulled out the day before, you were already booked in so I felt it was only right to let things go ahead as they were supposed to, it's not your fault the others couldn't come and it wouldn't be fair to charge you more, also it was really fun being able to take you to more of the places you wanted to go to.

I'm glad we got some good night shots as well as day shots, now it's light through all the tours and I'm kind of missing the night photography.

Hope to see you for another tour come July.