“Rude Staff - would never go back”
Review of Woodland Creatures

Woodland Creatures
Ranked #758 of 2,529 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Rude Staff - would never go back”
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Myself and my friends all live in Leith and enjoy sampling the local pubs. I had heard some bad reviews on woodland creatures as the staff are apparently rude but thought we would give a go. BIG MISTAKE!!! The man behind the bar was unfriendly and clearly could not be bothered serving us. Why have cocktails on your menu and be angry when people order them?!?! We felt that every time we ordered they would rather we just left and when we finally had enough of the guys attitude and did he seemed happy. You would think a new pub in the already heavy populated Leith would value any customers who chose them over the various competitors.

As a Leither my advise - head to the Brass Monkey or Victorias...where the staff are actually helpful and want you to be there.

• Visited June 2013
5 Thank suzieL123

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“A welcome addition to Leith 2.0”
Reviewed 26 June 2013 via mobile

I spent a very happy afternoon in Woodland Creatures recently with a few friends and I must say we absolutely loved it. We entered with some trepidation as it stands on the site of the old Balfours and I wasn't wearing my stab vest that day. Upon entering we quickly realised the bar has undergone major changes. No pool table, no crazy old alchies, good music, a great selection of bottled and draught beers. And food! Can you imagine it?! I once saw a junkie eating a rat in the Balfours toilet but I don't think that counts. It's obvious that the bar is still very much a work in progress but in 3 or 4 months once everything's in place this will be my new favourite Leith bar. Well done!

• Visited July 2012
2 Thank Unclefather
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
“Good venue, cheap drinks, rude service”
Reviewed 21 June 2013

Went in at 10pm, the bar was quiet, but the barmaid seemed like we where being a massive hassle. Really ruined the atmosphere of the bar as it is a gorgeous bar. Shame really, no need for her to be rude at all.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank Katie B
“Probably my new local.”
Reviewed 18 May 2013

Been in to Beautiful Creatures a few times now and always receive a warm and pleasant welcome. I love the minimal style decor, with it's wooden bar and basic furnishings.
The bar itself isn't pretentious, as there always seems to be a good mix of people - big thing for me and the reason why I don't drink in Boda/Victoria. Always a pleasure to sit in, knocking back a pint of Addlestone's cloudy cider.
Had food the other night and although the hake was good value for money (£7.50) and tasty it could be done with being served on a proper plate. Are the plates plastic? Honest question. My girlfriends burger wasn't great: The burger itself was badly prepared and soggy and the bun needed to be toasted. The polenta fries were not cooked properly at all and the salad was old and slimey which is unacceptable for me. It's a pity, as I don't like to be critical on a place I like so much but it means I won't be having food there again and will be sticking to the drinks.
Anyway, to end on a good note: Great music, nice friendly staff (The Swiss guy makes me laugh) and a good selection of drinks. I'll be back again.

• Visited May 2013
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Fantastic new local serving great food and drinks!”
Reviewed 17 May 2013

Visited Woodland Creatures for the first time with my Mum tonight as Origano was full and we wanted to check it out ahead of a private function we are attending tomorrow. From the outside, i didn't know quite what to make of the bar - the grey paint looks a bit depressing, but the quirky animal lamps hinted the interior would probably surprise. Inside, it is beautiful! Very warm and dark - all wooden, leather and suede with a great atmosphere. Lovely artwork dotted around the place by a great illustrator, Claire Hartigan and a lovely bar area with great stools!
The bar has a great selection of drinks - lovely beers and ciders both on tap and by the bottle and a wide variety of spirits and wines on offer too. We opted for a cider and a beer and went off to peruse the menu. Although not extensive, the menu offers something for everyone (from terrine to mac and cheese) and caters for vegan and vegetarian diners as well as us meat eaters. Wishing to sample a few different things (and not really taken by the mains) we opted to share a selection of their starters (i say selection..we had all of them bar the soup!). All of the dishes were tasty - but the goats cheese bruschetta shone and we fought over the last piece! Only criticism would be that the bread served with the meatballs was a tad stale, but given the amount of food on the table we didn't need this anyway. We shared 4 starters and some olives which came in well under £20 - good value for the standard of food on offer and we both left comfortably full and satisfied with our meal (even my mum - the hard-to-please chef :P). The serving staff were all friendly and nice, although one of the girls (fair haired with funky leggings) could have done with smiling a bit more - didn't see one on her face in the two hours we were there and she was serving behind the bar!

It's worth noting that it's a dog friendly bar - some people prefer not to be sharing their dining experience or night out with other peoples canine pals, but i quite enjoyed having a wee clap!

All in all a welcome addition to area - looking forward to returning tomorrow to sample more of their drinks selection! :)

• Visited May 2013