“Quirky, cosy find”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We were excited to find Woodland Creatures open up right by us, as it's now (geographically) our most 'local' pub. Finally ventured in this week, and loved the place. Thought the staff were having us on when they told us to walk through the wardrobe... Full of lovely touches like that. Fantastic selection of drinks, whether you're into tapped or spirits. Good value too, as the same round that cost us £8.40 up the road near the town centre cost us just over £6 here.

Surprised to read about rude staff on here - we found them to be really helpful and friendly (although it was a quiet night, and I'm never surprised if overworked bar staff are a bit brusque when they're inundated with punters!). All in all, we felt very welcome.

Reviewed 1 July 2013

Myself and my friends all live in Leith and enjoy sampling the local pubs. I had heard some bad reviews on woodland creatures as the staff are apparently rude but thought we would give a go. BIG MISTAKE!!! The man behind the bar was unfriendly and clearly could not be bothered serving us. Why have cocktails on your menu and be angry when people order them?!?! We felt that every time we ordered they would rather we just left and when we finally had enough of the guys attitude and did he seemed happy. You would think a new pub in the already heavy populated Leith would value any customers who chose them over the various competitors.

As a Leither my advise - head to the Brass Monkey or Victorias...where the staff are actually helpful and want you to be there.

5  Thank suzieL123
Reviewed 26 June 2013 via mobile

I spent a very happy afternoon in Woodland Creatures recently with a few friends and I must say we absolutely loved it. We entered with some trepidation as it stands on the site of the old Balfours and I wasn't wearing my stab vest that day. Upon entering we quickly realised the bar has undergone major changes. No pool table, no crazy old alchies, good music, a great selection of bottled and draught beers. And food! Can you imagine it?! I once saw a junkie eating a rat in the Balfours toilet but I don't think that counts. It's obvious that the bar is still very much a work in progress but in 3 or 4 months once everything's in place this will be my new favourite Leith bar. Well done!

2  Thank Unclefather
Reviewed 21 June 2013

Went in at 10pm, the bar was quiet, but the barmaid seemed like we where being a massive hassle. Really ruined the atmosphere of the bar as it is a gorgeous bar. Shame really, no need for her to be rude at all.

2  Thank Katie B
Reviewed 18 May 2013

Been in to Beautiful Creatures a few times now and always receive a warm and pleasant welcome. I love the minimal style decor, with it's wooden bar and basic furnishings.
The bar itself isn't pretentious, as there always seems to be a good mix of people - big thing for me and the reason why I don't drink in Boda/Victoria. Always a pleasure to sit in, knocking back a pint of Addlestone's cloudy cider.
Had food the other night and although the hake was good value for money (£7.50) and tasty it could be done with being served on a proper plate. Are the plates plastic? Honest question. My girlfriends burger wasn't great: The burger itself was badly prepared and soggy and the bun needed to be toasted. The polenta fries were not cooked properly at all and the salad was old and slimey which is unacceptable for me. It's a pity, as I don't like to be critical on a place I like so much but it means I won't be having food there again and will be sticking to the drinks.
Anyway, to end on a good note: Great music, nice friendly staff (The Swiss guy makes me laugh) and a good selection of drinks. I'll be back again.