“Historical and scary at the same time”

City of Edinburgh Tours
US$19.88*
Extreme Paranormal Underground Ghost Tour in Edinburgh
Ranked #48 of 203 Tours in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Owner description: Daily ghost walking tours of Edinburgh's Old Town led by a period costumed guide. Lively, outgoing and historically factual. Visit the Royal Mile, haunted Greyfriars graveyard and Edinburgh's famous underground vaults. Year round tours departing every afternoon and evening. Generous discounts for group bookings. Private tours also available. Tours available in English and Spanish.
Arlington, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Historical and scary at the same time”
Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

My fiance is a huge ghost show fanatic. So when we traveled to Edinburgh for 5 days I knew she wanted to go on a ghost tour. We picked the 10:15 tour since it had the most and we wanted to go at night instead of the day. Our tour guide was the younger guy with the top hat. He was excellent! The walking wasn't that bad, and the guide kept us entertained the whole time. Overall we left entertained and frightened.

London, United Kingdom
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 86 helpful votes
“Too much walking, not enough talking.”
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We had a spare hour one afternoon so decided to go on one of the "Early Ghost Tours" at 15.15. This was a mistake. We were taken around the city on foot, stopping every 5 min or so for a 3-5 min story. This made the experience feel rather bitty, and meant that for the hour, we were only really getting a 30 min tour. It felt a bit like were were being herded rather than guided. For the last 20 min, we were taken into some of the underground caverns. This part was quite amusing, and was the better part of the experience. I suppose a little spooky, and interesting to go to a bit of the city we wouldn't have otherwise. Unfortunately, overall the experience was not worth the £7 we paid each. At the start, we were told by the guide that the hour would be filled with lots of stories and history about the city. Disappointingly, you could read more about the history of Edinburgh on a smart phone with internet access in two minutes. I appreciate that we did not pay for a history tour, but with the likes of Deacon William Brodie, and Burke and Hare, there is plenty of opportunity for facts and farce. The only real redeeming feature was that our tour guide was nice, friendly, and pretty engaging. Overall, too much walking and not enough talking.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Hert3284
Kirkwall, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Very Entertaining”
Reviewed 15 February 2014

My husband and I and our 13 year old son went on one of the ghost tours with Lady Primrose. She was a fantastic tour guide and told some really interesting stories and led us to some of Edinburgh's most haunted places. We went to Greyfriars Graveyard, The Old Tavern and 2 underground Vaults. My son was thoroughly entertained by the theatrical Lady Primrose and we can't praise her highly enough. She is extremely professional and very accommodating. We would recommend this tour to anyone who is interested in a bit of spooky Edinburgh history.

Remember to wear appropriate walking shoes as you will be walking along cobblestones, through a graveyard, up and down steps etc.

Visited February 2014
Sofia, Bulgaria
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Nice surprise :-)”
Reviewed 30 January 2014

HI guys i definitely recommend you to try that! I was sceptical in the beginning but it turned to be a great experience for me and my girlfriend.Such a great tour walking around graveyards..learning some creepy stories of the past dark side of Edinburgh ... and it was awesome to find out about all that tortures and murders happened hundreds of years ago in buildings and streets we are every day passing around.My best moments were at the graveyard and in the underground vault.I will show you guys sum photo of it.....judge for yourself!!! :-O

Visited January 2014
Manila, Philippines
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“entertaining and fun”
Reviewed 9 January 2014

the tour was great! I was with my two older sisters and my little brother (who is 11) and all of us was sufficiently entertained. The tour guide was also really friendly and engaged in conversation (more importantly, engaged in my little brother's nervous conversation). She made sure that everyone understood and was really into the role. She was also able to answer all of our questions. The only thing negative really is the uphill walks towards greyfriars and the vaults, we took our time with that and sometimes awkward silences happened and some of us were a bit behind. The stories aren't super scary but I like that it's factual and funny at times. I think if we went to the 10 pm tour it would've been scarier.

Visited January 2014