“Great value!”

HEI Chinese Restaurant
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: West End
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Friendly service, reasonable prices, BYOB, a great atmosphere and wonderful food - all made for a memorable evening.

2  Thank Auguri

Reviewed 2 October 2013

I have been here a couple of times and it's always been great. Good dim sum and very nice service. When I told them it was my mum's birthday they went out of their way to take care of us.

1  Thank Ruth A
Reviewed 20 September 2013

Went for lunch with 2 colleagues. Service was friendly enough and when I asked whether chilli oil or chilli sauce would be available with the lunch, I was told they had some special homemade I could try. Orders taken quickly and served in good time.

Spring rolls were minute and with very little filling. Seemed similar to ones you can buy frozen in supermarkets. I asked for soy sauce and it came but no sign of the chilli. The waiter I had asked was also no longer anywhere to be seen and the other staff seemed to busy themselves with other things and managed to avoid eye contact, so I gave up on the chilli.

Sweet and sour chicken and beef in black bean sauce were tasty and plentiful. Huge bowl of fried rice to share and a plate of noodles. All tasty, however, half way through the rice bowl, we found a hair. This put us off a bit, but as we had nearly finished lunch by then, we weren't going to have the rice replaced. We told the waitress about the hair and she could see for herself in the rice, as it stood out. She was apologetic and offered a fresh bowl of rice, which we declined. However, our drinks were removed from the bill as compensation.

Overall, ok food, but staff seem unwilling to make themselves available for assistance. The hair in the food was off putting and showed a lack of attention to detail, but this isn't the first or last place to serve hair in food! I'd consider going back.

Reviewed 31 August 2013

We loved the friendly, attentive but unobtrusive service, generous BYOB policy (no corkage charge) and delicate, delicious flavours. £18 for a whole lobster with subtle ginger, garlic and spring onion sauce is incredibly good value - the serving would have been more than generous for two slightly less greedy people.

2  Thank EmCee2013
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Lovely new restaurant. On a friend's recommendation we popped in for dinner after work. We had steamed dim sum platter then szchezwan sizzling fillet steak and salt and chilli squid with noodles and beansprouts. It was all excellent. The squid was the best I've ever had. Byob with no corkage. The bill was £34 which was great value.

Pleasant staff. Decor nothing to get excited over but the food was the star. Will definitely be back.

1  Thank Hazeleeno