“Lovely authentic chinese food ”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of HEI Chinese Restaurant - CLOSED

HEI Chinese Restaurant
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: West End
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Lovely authentic chinese food ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Best authentic chinese food ever (not in China)! We had lunch there - and both prices, staff and food was perfect.

Even though the restaurant it self looks a bit boring and weird - the food is not!

Try the black bean-dish, it is jummy!

“ignore the decor as the food is good!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

Following previous Tripadvisor recommendations , we
went on "spec". It was a Saturday night about 6pm, very quiet just us and one other table. The decor lacks ambieance but the food is good and reasonably priced. The staff are good and helpful. Quick service with good quality should mean more cusrom. Perhaps it gets busier later

Visited May 2014
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Excellent Chinese food in Edinburgh”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

This is some of the best Chinese food I've eaten, anywhere. The staff were involved and insightful,helping us to choose from the menu. Delicious dim sum and ribs to start, followed by excellent mains of crispy chicken in a very spicy chilly sauce and salt & chilli king prawns with a side of pak choi in garlic sauce which helped balance the chilli heat, with rice & noodles. BYOB but we had jasmine tea. Approx £25 a head for a stellar evening meal. The Chef was apparently brought over from Southern China and the restaurant set up by three friends. I've no interest in the décor of a restaurant. Based on this first experience, if they keep this up, I reckon that Hei is set for stardom in Edinburgh.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank Stuart B
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Excellent food, lovely staff, not over the top decor, but that doesn't matter”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

Really good food. Varying from the usual Chinese fair to way more special. Try something different and you will be rewarded ten fold. Clay pots (almost like a Chinese paella...crusty flavour full rice, sweet Chinese sausage,....or other choices...fresh vegetables ). Dim sum excellent, fish brilliant. All fresh tasting and not full of sugar or food colourings. However, if you like standard fair e.g. sweet and sour ( and I do ) it's still great. You get the taste without the artificial colouring or flavour.

Staff are so helpful, if you order something they think doesn't work, e.g. If it might be too dry, they'll suggest a sauce on top. We've been six times, initially we over ordered, but the staff will definitely help to find what you would like. Our last visit, they were spot on with recommending the amount of food.

Attentive but not in your face service: topping tea cups up; leaving you till your finished. Maybe also, if it's not busy, the chef comes out and checks how his food is going down. Not in your face, but from afar, just keeping an eye on your smiles..to see if you're enjoying it. Then when you give him the thumbs up he beams with pride.

Very reasonably priced, homely atmosphere. Not white table cloth dining but relaxed and comfortable.

My partner and I have been to this restaurant/cafe 6 times now and never been disappointed. We always order something new because of the range of dishes we've never tried.

• Visited April 2014
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Mixed feelings”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

Really not sure about this place...went with my wife and 2 boys on a recent visit to Edinburgh. On a Thursday night, it was quite quiet, only another table and us. We were stared at all night by a couple of older Chinese gentlemen (possibly the owner and a friend) sitting at a table in the back area, which my wife found uncomfortable. Food ranged from poor (salt and chili ribs were particularly poor) to sublime (salt and chili squid was one of the best I've ever had). At the end they overcharged us by £10 which I wanted to challenge but my wife felt too unnerved to let me do it. So I paid and left without leaving a tip. 200 yards down the road I turned round and our waitress was chasing us to return the £10...perhaps they'd noticed me scrutinising the bill. Trying to pull a fast one? Who knows, but my over-riding feeling is the people are a bit strange and the food mixed..wouldn't go back if ever in Edinburgh again. Maybe we got them on an off night.

Visited April 2014