“relax and inhale”

Salt Cave Edinburgh
Ranked #28 of 78 Spas & Wellness in Edinburgh
Reviewed 12 June 2014

first session we fell asleep, so relxing, sound of the sea and pan pipes. cleared my headaches for four days too. second visit was not as relaxing as lady kept flicking pages reading. but sure that be a one off. any way was very sick that night, and to my shock all clear phelgm came up, so does relieve asthma. i hope to visit soon, and if you have asthma why dont you try

3  Thank fiona152

Reviewed 15 March 2014

All thanks to a friend's recommendation, I discovered this hidden gem of a place earlier this month and experienced my first hour's salt therapy session. The benefit was immediate and, such were the effects, that when I eventually got home I had to turn down the volume of the TV! And, I slept right through that night congestion and cough free.

Having been born with a twisted septum and been through two nose ops as a kid to try and rectify the problem, I've always been prone to sinusitis and severe coughs and colds/flu every winter. The wet and windy winter of 2013/14 was no exception.

The first salt therapy session was free. I arrived early for my appointment and received a very warm welcome from Pete Flynn who explained the therapy and gave me a Patient's Questionnaire to complete. Then it was through to the Locker Room to hang up my coat and scarf and secure my handbag in a numbered locker (I retained the key), donned disposable light blue plastic overshoes and a hairnet and then I was shown through to Treatment Room 1. This is a warm, cosy cocoon of a chamber with loose salt on the floor, (it's like walking on soft sand), Red Sea salt on the walls round a 'magic' circle of comfortable chairs - and footrests if you so desire. Putting your feet up is optional and there's a good selection of magazines available if you don't come prepared with a book or a newspaper.

Treatment Room 2 is for parents with youngsters of any age, even for babies from 6 months old. This chamber is arranged in much the same way as Treatment Room 1 except for the presence of toys and other distractions to keep the young ones from getting bored.

I paid my second visit to the Salt Cave last week as I felt I needed another 'blast'. This second appointment was courtesy of a £10 voucher from Amazon Local. The number of treatments recommended depends on what conditions are being treated - but the range is wide - from respiratory and breathing problems to skin conditions. The folders of testimonials from satisfied patients, newspaper articles and photographs all attest to the benefits of salt therapy which originated way back in the mists of time or, more recently, the salt mines of Eastern Europe in the 18th century.

The Salt Cave is well served by Lothian Buses. Nos. 19 and 34 almost stop at the door while Nos. 4, 5, 15, 26, 44 and 45 stop at Meadowbank just a short walk away.

I can highly recommend this treatment, which is also NHS recommended. It affords a most welcome opportunity to grab some quality me time out of a busy schedule.

12  Thank MadamZsaZsa
Reviewed 6 October 2013

i suffer emphysema , and my daughter treated me to a session at the salt caves , i went into a room covered in salt , walls were salt , floor was salt , i sat on a deck chair , the lights were dimmed , and i chilled listening to relaxing music for an hour
it was the most relaxing hour ive ever had
once i came out , i didnt feel much different , just relaxed , but as time went on and the days went by , i felt my breathing was a lot better
i would definetly reccomend the salt caves for anyone suffering from breathing difficulties

6  Thank glesgagal10