“Great Location although hard to find”
Review of Old Town Chambers

Old Town Chambers
Ranked #4 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Birmingham
“Great Location although hard to find”
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Booked a two bedroom apartment. It is a new complex built in the 'alleyways' of Edinburgh so initially can be hard to find. Note that there are a number of stairs to contend with which you need to be mindful of when booking.

Overall was a very nice apartment but the WiFI was very poor along with the heating. One bedroom was very hot the rest of the apartment would not rise above 18oC.

A huge plus point is that from 12.30pm on Sat there is free on-street parking 2 mins away on St Giles Street which lasts until Mon am, outside Frasier Suites. Great if you are planning a weekend away.

It is walking distance from Edinburgh Castle plus very easy to get to Waverley Bridge from where all the bus tours start.

If the sort the heating and WiFi out would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: The two bedroom suite comes with a Sofa bed so can accommodate 4 adults and two children
1 Thank SinghUK
Merchiston R, General Manager at Old Town Chambers, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review. I am very sorry to hear you had issues with the WIFI and heating. I would be grateful if you could email me on Julie@thechambersedinburgh.co.uk and let me know the date you arrived and the apartment in which you stayed so I can sort out these issues.

Our WIFI is actually a leased line from BT with a huge capacity. As it is uncontended our WIFI should be much faster than normal broadband and so your details will allow me to resolve the issue.

As you know from staying here our heating is a multi zone system and so once again I am sorry you had these issues, when I hear from you I will be able to sort out the issue.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Fountain Hills, AZ
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Positives: helpful, friendly staff. Very modernly appointed apartment`Nice to have kitchen with everything you could need utensil-wise, cookware, glassware, toaster diswasher, coffee maker with coffee, cookies, living room area with huge flat-screen tv, free wi-fi, 2 bathrooms, washer/dryer in apartment, iron/board, nice lines/towels, personalized keypad entry access to apartment lobby and to room, location of apartments is right in the Royal Mile making this ideal for walking to just about everything we did from touring to lunch or dinner. Small grocery store nearby. Negatives: upon arrival, reception sent us up to our apartment after a very warm welcome; however the room was not ready and housecleaning was in process. We were able to leave our bags; but I think our presence discombobulated them as the kitchen was not cleaned as I would have expected - crumbs on kitchen table, what looked like sauce stains on kitchen faucet; hair in the sparkling white shower floor and tub in both bathrooms - gross. The hairdryer is located in the closet of bedroom plugged in so that it is somewhat awkward to dry your hair with short extension cord and more HAIR from previous guests in closet! I will point out that because of the positives of The Chambers and otherwise very spotless cleanliness of apartment, I could overlook the hair. Logistically, I knew that stairs were involved no matter which way you attempt to get to property, but it is pretty inconvenient with luggage to cart around - if you arrive by way of St. Giles church and Blue Angel restaurant and walk through the way - much easier - coming from train station - you will hike up a mile of stairs! Workout time for sure. This may be a problem for some folks. However, staff helped us with luggage upon leaving which was so wonderfully awesome! I also wish that The Chambers would invest in cleaning the way from St Giles Church and Royal Mile. Very dirty and disgusting. A good power washing is definitely due. I know I am a germ freak, but seeing spit, bird poo and who knows what just about does me in. It may sound like I was not happy here - but I was pleased - just want to be honest about the pros and cons.

Room Tip: Ask for room with a view - staff is very helpful at assigning you.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review and I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay, however I am hugely disappointed to hear about your issues with cleaning. I would be really grateful if you could email me on Julie@thechambersedinburgh.co.uk to let me know the date of your arrival and the apartment in which you stayed, to allow me to speak to housekeeping. None of the things you mentioned are acceptable and it is certainly not our usual standards.

It will also help me find out what has happened to the hairdryer, we specifically bought hairdryers with a 3 metre cord.

I look forward to hearing from you and thanks again for your valued feedback.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I don't really want to share this wonderful Edinburgh city centre secret as I know the next time I visit Edinburgh, it will be more difficult to get a room. But, it is such a great place to stay, they deserve this review. You will read from previous reviews that the access is slightly difficult when arriving and leaving....yes it is but it's all part of the charm and worth it for the location and the quality of these apartments. We stayed in a few different apartments at the Chambers and they were all slightly different. The rooms are really modern and beds ultra comfy. The kitchen and laundry facilities were such a welcome as we were travelling with kids and didn't want to eat out every night.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review of our apartments, it is always great to hear that our guests have enjoyed their stay and we really appreciate your comments about us being worth visiting. We hope we will see you again soon!
BERKS
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Excellant accomodation and central location. The rooms were spotlessly clean and looked like new. The bathrooms were all a great size and well stocked with toileteries. the beds were enormous and very comfotable. The kitchen / lounge dining area was huge. We faced a courtyard and so couldnt hear any traffic noise outside. Overall an excellant place to stay. The only down side - could have done with a peg or two to hang coats up, a kitchen tea towel would have been handy and maybe a mirror in he bedroom. woould definitely stay again

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Hello there. Thank you very much for your review, it's great to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Coat hangers are on our list to add to the apartments, but I am disappointed to hear you didn't have a tea towel, these should be in each apartment. I am also confused about the mirror as each wardrobe should have a mirror in it, next to the hairdryer. If you could take the time to email me on Julie@thechambersedinburgh.co.uk and let me know which apartment you stayed in, I would really appreciate it.
I hope we see you again soon.
Belfast
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Let me just say that this is not your run of the mill apartment, it's first class on par with a suite in 5 star hotel. It is huge! Our 1 bedroom apartment is gorgeously furnished in a modern cozy style, with lots of high end high quality finishing with Siemens kitchen and Duravit bathroom fittings. The contrast of dark wooden flooring and grey walls interspersed with cream walls made it very cozy. Very impressed with the furniture as well, some 70's style chair in leather and sofa which can also turn into a sofabed. Fresh milk is free, coffee and tea and biscuits provided. Nespresso coffee and coffee maker in the kitchen. I was impressed with the kindest service I've received. When we arrived, there was a cot and baby high chair already! Wow! The manager on site, Gaia and her evening colleague was ever so helpful and unbelievably nice to us. She took us to our room and anything we needed she was at hand to assist; including slippers and toiletries and this is even better than the last 5 star hotel we stayed in Chicago in June. She was so kind to even let us leave an hour later at 12 on checkout; and we were so lucky to get in early at 11 as I had a Fellowship ceremony at Royal College of Physicians at 12 and needed to dress up. We will come back when we're back in Edinburgh.

Room Tip: Check out the three bedroom penthouse
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Thank you so much for your kind review, it is lovely to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you will be back. Congratulations also on your Fellowship. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Lehighton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 12 October 2013

We stayed in a two bedroom, two bath apartment with our twenty-something daughter for one night while enroute to the Isle of Skye. The apartment was first-class! We each had our privacy while enjoying the common area, as well. The location, although difficult for the taxi driver to find, was wonderful being right in the heart of the Royal Mile. I'd recommend downloading a small map with its location to alleviate the potential taxi problem.

Room Tip: Higher floors less likely to be bothered by some ongoing construction nearby.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Chris M
Merchiston R, General Manager at Old Town Chambers, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
What a lovely review, thank you for taking the time to post it. We are delighted to hear that you took full advantage of our apartments, they are great when there are more than one party who want privacy but also a shared space.
We are finding that taxi drivers often know where we are now, but if not just ask to be dropped off next to the restaurant Angels with Bagpipes and walk down Roxburgh's Close and that's where we are!
We hope to see you back soon!
New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment at The Chambers with my parents during a 3 day trip to Edinburgh, and we all agreed that it was the perfect place for us! The apartment itself was beautiful with a large living area, fully equipped kitchen, one king-sized bedroom, one queen bedroom, and two full en-suite bathrooms. The decor was modern with some cute little old-world touches. We had a lovely view of the Balmoral Hotel from our bedrooms, which looks beautiful lit up at night.The Chambers is situated right on the Royal Mile, and it is a great location for sight-seeing. The castle is a short walk in one direction, and the Holyrood Palace a slightly longer walk in the other direction. The hotel itself is a little difficult to find if you don't know where you're going. Luckily we had a very friendly taxi driver from the airport who dropped us off right in front of Roxbury Close, and from there it was a few steps down to get to the hotel. Just beware that there is no way to get to this hotel without going up or down stairs. From the Royal Mile it's a few stairs down, and from Cockburn Street (near Waverley Bridge) it's a whole bunch of stairs up. We even had to go down stairs once we went in the front door of the apartment to get to the living spaces. We were happy to deal with the stairs in order to find this little gem of a hotel, though. Being able to stay in same place without having to pay the price of two expensive hotel rooms was really wonderful for us. We would definitely stay here again. Hopefully next time we'll have a slightly longer trip to enjoy beautiful Edinburgh.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Faith S
Merchiston R, General Manager at Old Town Chambers, responded to this review, 11 October 2013
Thank you for your lovely review, being situated in the heart of the old town of Edinburgh means there is nothing we can do about the stairs up to us, but I am glad the taxi knew to bring you to the High Street, which is by far the easier entrance. We look forward to seeing you again when you return!