“One of thye best places” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Old Town Chambers

Old Town Chambers
Ranked #5 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Bogota, Colombia
“One of thye best places”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

We stayed at this hidden hotel for 3 days at the end of July, and were impressed with several things. In first place, it is an architectural tour de force. Located within a historical context, with neighbouring buildings which date from several centuries, the architects managed to build a contemporary, respectful and surprising building. The colors, the spaces, the apartments, are a showcase of excellence in design. Our beautiful apartment allowed for a private room and a living space with bed nook for our daughter. The staff, corteous and helpful, always displayed the best of attitudes. As it is accesible only through a small passage from the street, it is quite silent in spite of the festivals and stret noises. Probably one of the best places in Edinburgh.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank CARLOS_MORALES_HENDR
LateralC, General Manager at Old Town Chambers, responded to this review, 2 October 2014
Thank you for this lovely review, we are honoured to read you think we are one of the best places in Edinburgh. We are delighted to read you enjoyed our stay and I hope we will see you back soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Miami, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

For sure it's not a 5 star hotel. By US standards, it's just like any 3 star extended stay hotel.
The entrance to the hotel was hard to find because it's inside a courtyard with a small entrance from the main street. Not very attractive.
The lady at the front desk, Gaia, was just fantastic. She gets one star all by herself.
The apartment was very small and dark with a view of the neighbors across the street. (No privacy at all.)
No place for our luggage because the closet was too small. The hair dyer was connected inside the closet. Hard to dry your hair.
During our 4 night stay, they never changed the linens or towels and the cleaning was very poor. They just made the beds and picked up the garbage.
When I tried to use the toaster, all the lights went out.
5 star price for a 3 star hotel. I would not recommend this hotel to any of my friends!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
4 Thank lucitas2014
I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your stay.

For guests reading this, I thought I would address your points:

We do make it clear that a one bed apartment with a sofa bed is not large enough for 4 adults.
In the apartment in which you stayed there is a large closet next to the wardrobe in the bedroom, it sounds like you didn't find this.
Our processes mean we change towels on request and all linen is changed on the 3rd night, perhaps you missed this also.
Perhaps also you didn't notice that the apartment has a privacy film on the windows that means you can see out but passer-bys can't see in.

Ultimately we are a five star serviced apartment, we don't purport to be a hotel, we offer space and independence but it is important that you book the correct size of apartment for your party.

I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations, sometimes guests who book us would be better served by booking a hotel.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

Situated in an ideal location, walking distance of many popular tourist attractions including the Edinburgh Castle and the Royal Mile being a stone's throw away, this is an excellent place to stay! The front desk were very kind and helpful. Reception lady showed us to our room straightaway. We had a family apartment, which was very clean and spacious. Facilities were excellent. I personally loved the kitchen as it was even equipped with coffee/espresso machine. The only thing that bothered me was the amount of noise which was coming from the room above- we could hear people manically walking throughout the night, this was a little disturbing, however, all the other perks definitely outweigh this minor occurrence. Would definitely recommend to couples and families.

Room Tip: I'm sure all the rooms are good
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for your lovely review, which makes our hard work worthwhile.

Could I bother you to tell me which apartment you stayed in so that we can try to resolve the noise issue, julie@oldtownchambers.co.uk.

I hope we see you back soon!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

LOVED IT.
We stayed in a 2 bedroom lofted unit, 2 kids 2 adults. My son could have done laps around the unit and was tempted to exercise his world cup skills!! 2 40 inc Tv's back to back bed to lounge certainly didnt let down the viewing experience. The urban integrated warehouse concept was perfectly executed by the architects and interior designers. touches of modern and old. material selections were flawless. Function and form, the place exercised both, all you need in the kitchen, without spending a fortune outside on breakfast, a comfy bed, strong hot showers, place to throw your bags- love the long seat against the window for this. Mind the workers playing away in the office next door, this is a true Urban hotel so be prepared to draw the shades on the way in or bear it! Staff were foreign and maybe lacked full knowledge as someone mentioned in a review but hey isn't everyone misplaced these days! The Italian next door is great for the family and the discount comes with staying at the Chambers is also welcome.
We have a Boutique, and I wouldn't go easy on this review.
Well done

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
What a lovely review, thank you so much for taking the time to give readers such detail. It is great to hear you enjoyed our apartments so much.

I hope you will return to us soon.
reno
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

The rooms are great, location superb and overall a very good choice. Went there during fringe and cost was high compared to service. One would think that for $500 a night one would get shampoo or coffee refilled? Front desk was very nice. However as they were all foreign we really couldn't use them much for any concierge services. It is a 5 star room w housekeeping.

• Stayed August 2014
      Location
1 Thank kgrimm_1999
Thank you for your review. I am slightly perturbed about your "they are all foreign" comment. As I have explained previously our Housekeeping team are main Polish, as is the case in the majority of housekeeping teams across the UK. However our Concierge team is a mixture of Scottish, Italian, American, German, Indian and Polish, which allows us to offer 13 languages to our guests, over half of which are from overseas.
They are all extremely knowledgeable about the local area and of course the booklet which I composed gives an almost street by street guide of our personal recommendations.

I am sorry your shampoo was not refilled had you asked a reception, this would have been taken care of and as I have also mentioned tea and instant coffee is refilled every day, the initial nespresso pods and milk are a welcome item.

I am glad that overall you enjoyed your stay and our location and I do hope we will see you back again soon.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

Stayed fir a weekend with the family

Accommodation is one if the best places to stay in Edinburgh

Location is a few feet from royal mile but still remains very quiet.

Staff very professional and friendly.

Second stay and we'll be back

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Location
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
LateralC, General Manager at Old Town Chambers, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post this review and thank you for choosing to return to stay with us again. It is great to hear your lovely comments and I hope we can welcome you back again soon.
UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

I don't often write negative reviews. (Only one other really bad one for a very very poor place in Nairobi- also claiming to be 5*.) Here has provoked me to write my second really damning one. I'm there now trying to write a review with my laptop balanced on my knee because there isn't even a desk or a table to write on... or to eat off. This is not a good thing for what's advertised as a 5* self catering apartment at £200+ a night . (We've loaded up some photos of the two tiny tables- really only suitable for placing coffee- on that I guess you're supposed to eat on. And another of the surface area 36 ins wide and 12in deep you're supposed to prepare a meal on...)

I could go on...anyway here's a more concrete set of concerns- and some +ives:
* the apartments are in a good place in the middle of town
* the fittings seems to be of a good standard- and there's a washing machine, cooker, toaster, a nespresso machine,dishwasher
* good quality linen and a decent bed + charming reception staff

The bad news:
* the photos on the website might relate to some rooms but they certainly don't relate to the matchbox sized room 34- which seems to be in another building
* the photos on the website are for sure of another building- and to get to where we are involves a trail up and down stairs and across one of Edinburgh's not-so-pretty open-to-the-skies closes
* likewise the beautiful baths might well be in other rooms but we have a pretty small shower and lavatory- but seem to have paid the same price...
* the room- did I mention this?;-)- is tiny even by NYC and Paris standards. And much smaller than the rooms we normally get when renting an apartment in Edinburgh. (So we have a good idea...)
* worst of all really is that despite all the pretty fittings it's impossible to make a meal in the room- there's not enough room to chop things and it it would STINK of food if you did cook.
* likewise there's no real space to store even a box of cereal... and while we travel pretty light the space for clothes is really small- and nowhere for a dress.

So my advice is under no circumstances,well maybe for 50% of the price- accept room 34. And ideally insist you should be in the main building which seems very nice if the photos are true. (The bit we're in seems to be a new bit the owners have developed and bundled in with the other building.)

Room Tip: See above- avoid room 34!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Bernard R
I am genuinely sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us, as other guests reading this may notice we have very positive comments on our studios, in relation to size, storage, fit out, etc. however clearly this has not been your experience.

I do wish you had come to speak to us with these issues which would have allowed us to let you know the following:

Our studios are deigned with compact kitchens, but there are shelves in the unit above the washing machine or fridge where items such as the nespresso, kettle and toaster can be stored to allow you to have preparation space for a meal. This also serves as storage for cereal, etc and of course you have the fridge for other food items. I do think tidiness helps in these studios.

The tables you photographed are there to be used as you wish, but there are also large trays in the cupboard to help with meal eating if eating in is what you choose to do.

You mention there is nowhere for a dress, perhaps you didn't notice the hanging rack in the hall which is perfect for any longer items of clothing that you did not want to hang in the cupboard (which is one metre in length with a shelf above it).

Our studios are based in Adam Bothwell House which is off Advocates Close, this is less than 2 minutes walk to reception should you need us.

I was glad to read your positive comments about location, fit out and staff and having read your review several times because I was so disappointed with your reaction, I think that should you choose to come back to stay with us for again for a period then perhaps choosing a one bedroom apartment, which has separate rooms may be a better fit for your requirements.