“EASY ENJOYABLE FRUIT PICKING HERE...!”
Review of Craigie's Farm

Craigie's Farm
Ranked #195 of 418 things to do in Edinburgh
Reviewed 3 August 2014

As I was making some jam this year I decided to bring my daughter and my 3 yr old grandson for a nice day out picking some fruit and this being our first time here, we weren't disappointed either. However the very small porta cabin was the biggest let down, talk about chaotic ? There were people entering and exiting from both ends with full & empty baskets, and with a friendly young guy serving plus doing his best to remain calm, made this a long wait as you have to keep your £2 entry fee receipt for when you come back to have your fruit weighed and is refunded.... The good thing is they do provide you with a small handy map of the berry site showing you where the fruit is, as I was here for the juicy strawberries, raspberries, and red berries and was not disappointed either..
What I found really unique too was the strawberry plants were off the ground and at waist height, making picking so much easier and saving one's back. We soon had our baskets full in no time at all, and making our way back to the porta cabin to get them weighed I noticed the queue was outside on both sides again , with one young lady now serving politely talk about chaos ? After some time we finally got served and pushed our way out the other side, the owners should really look into this sore point which was annoying a lot of people no end and this was midweek? I'd honestly hate to see this on a weekend, it's just not organised at all. Perhaps TWO porta cabins might help one for weighing and one for entering ?
Moving on, They do have a lot of interesting farm animals to "Pet" and look at, including the unexpected "Biology " lessons with the amorous pigs which takes a bit of explaining to younger visitors.! There is also a Deli / Restaurant attached too which serves pretty good food and local produce at a price one would expect with any UK based attraction these days, which is a sure sign of greedy Governments past & present hitting the haulage & farmers with fuel prices and being part of the E.U and controlled by Brussels, as I work in the haulage business I know this only too well. Unfortunately Craigie's have no options either to survive as just a farm, hence the tourist prices. And perhaps if the same people who complain on here about the price of produce and fruit had of complained to the politicians years ago about the price of fuel, we wouldn't be paying through the nose for anything today. But, of course people just accept it and carry on complaining about the weather or something else mundane..!
Now I would definitely recommend this place for a family day out especially for berry picking and enjoying a bite to eat in the restaurant, even if they need to get the serving sorted out there, and remember it's a bit pricey too. I paid 40p for a free range egg and I bought six Ouch ! My grandson also had a brilliant time in the safe outside play area with all the chutes / swings etc, he kept talking about it all day in fact. One thing I would point out though is the owners need to get their main sign on the road replaced or painted as I drive past there most days and half of it is missing, perhaps a lick of paint might help ?

John S, Owner at Craigie's Farm, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to give us such a full and detailed review, it is really appreciated.
I am delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable day with your grandson, the summer has been great and the fruit has been a real hit this year. I suppose that has also created some problems, the main one being the one you identified. We doubled the size of the cabin and put an extra till in this year. If we get another summer like this one we need to look at either a bigger cabin or as you suggested a second one.
Yes, the pick your own free range eggs are expensive at 40p but we could sell them 10 times over! These eggs are more about the experience of kids being able to pick freshly laid eggs straight from the hen house. We do offer free range and organic eggs in the shop that start at 25p per egg.
Thank you again for taking the time to give us your feedback and we will work our way through all of your comments. Hope to see you again soon. John

Reviewed 1 August 2014

This is a lovely location for breakfast, coffee or lunch. The quality of the breakfast is good, though bizarrely the coffee wasn't great when we went. It's nice to have your eggs cooked to order though.The bakery products are very good and there is usually Gluten Free chocolate cake available. Prices are a bit high but it's worth it for the overall experience.

I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your visits to Craigie’s. The kitchen team do take great pride in making lovely homemade products for our customers to enjoy. I am sorry to hear that the coffee did not come up to your expectations, perhaps you could email me with more details?
Thank you again for taking the time to give us your feedback and hope to see you back again soon. John

Reviewed 26 July 2014

In my youth (admittedly a long time ago now), the idea of a fruit farm used to be that inputting your own labour to pick the fruit meant you could buy it at much lower price per kilo than you could get for fruit picked by someone else, and then you would use your "cheap fruit" glut to do all manner of freezing and jam making. The fruit prices at Craigies (per kilo) are however roughly comparable to the supermarket - in other words pretty dear.

It doesn't seem to make much sense to me to pay top dollar for fruit to make jam with.. and presumably most people would find the pre-picked tesco boxes a more convenient size for making your average pud? Be aware that there is a minimum £2 per person aged over 5 - so if you turn up with a family of 4, your minimum spend on soft fruit will be £8. I thnk that is probably ok once in a while, but is more than I would normally spend on my average weekly shop.

In others words, this is only really worth doing if you want the "experience" of picking fruit. It is very much a "Featherdown Farm" type experience, with scary price tags. So, for example, you can collect an egg to buy from the chicken run, at the princely sum of 40p per egg, or you can buy a frozen scone to take home and bake for 75pence each! Or you can buy a made up pavola to fill with your pyo strawberries for £7. Ouchy ouch!

The cafe is ok - £2.60 for a coffee is sort of Edinburgh average... and there is a nice view out to Cramond and a play park with a slide and swings. Lots of well- heeled folks in Edinburgh, and this is clearly a popular package, judging by how busy it was. If you're on a tight budget I reckon you could achieve the same with a bit of brambling and a trip to the City Farm at Gorgie.

1  Thank EdinburghSusan
John S, Owner at Craigie's Farm, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.
At Craigie’s we have never tried to compete with supermarkets or indeed other local PYO fruit farms. We are now the only PYO farm around Edinburgh (there used to be 6!) but there is lots of supermarkets. There is no doubt that for certain things supermarkets are a lot cheaper, there is no way I can compete with them. When it comes to our fruit our ready picked strawberries are on par with the local supermarkets, all of our other fruit (including our jam strawberries) picked and PYO are cheaper at Craigie’s. That is by chance more than design. We run a business; have wages to pay, rent, rates, electric, the list goes on. We cannot afford to have lost leaders to attract customers in. Yes I am sure that you could make a scone, a pavola at home a lot cheaper but lots of our customers choose not to.
Supermarkets do cheap food very well so if that is what you are after I would suggest that is where you go. What we try and offer is a different experience and I am sorry that you do not like this.

Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

Visit was spoiled by the ridiculous price of £2.49 for a child's animal biscuit. Wish I had put them back!

May return but not in a hurry.

3  Thank Ross B
John S, Owner at Craigie's Farm, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Ok...... Thanks for taking the time to review the price of the homemade cookies, sorry you didn't see the alternative factory made cheaper alternatives that we also stock. Hope you enjoyed the free entry to the play area and the animal area......
John

Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

We decided to do something a bit different from the usual stuff, so we decided to go fruit picking at Craigie's Farm. The weather was really wet but we had phoned ahead and were told that there was lots of fruit in the tent tunnels. We picked two large boxes of strawberries, raspberries, red&black currants and gooseberries. The kids picked their own little box and seemed to enjoy it. We also seen the chickens & pigs and let the kids play in the swing park before leaving. The farm was a tad tricky to find at first but we got there in the end. Overall a good little trip and it was great making fresh fruit smoothies when we got home. Recommended.

John S, Owner at Craigie's Farm, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. Delighted that you came up on a wet day, the tunnels really do help make it a great day out whatever the weather. Hope to see you back again soon, just bring the sunshine the next time! John