“Best Chinese food we've eaten in ages”
Review of Little Panda - CLOSED

Little Panda
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

We really enjoyed our meal at the Little Panda. The Salt and Pepper chicken wings were super tasty and we also enjoyed the BBQ ribs, Szechuan Fillet steak and Kung Po chicken - easily the best Chinese food we've eaten in Edinburgh in a long time. The staff were very friendly and welcoming - it's a shame the Little Panda is not beside the rest of the restaurants in Ocean Terminal because it's easy to forget it's there but now that we've eaten there we'll remember to go back.

2  Thank KLMack

Reviewed 1 November 2013

We ate at this restaurant yesterday evening and would definitely go again. As we arrived we were greeted at the door by the manager and another waiter as if we were royalty. The staff were extremely attentive and couldn't do enough for us. The manager asked us for the opinion on the food as they were always striving to improve which I thought was really good.

As we found out from chatting to the manager, the Little Panda is a relatively new business (open 4 months) and I think they really deserve to take off. As other reviewers have mentioned (I read the reviews myself before opting to eat there) they are relatively tucked away on the 3rd floor of Ocean Terminal so you wouldn't find it unless you were looking for it. It was quite quiet when we arrived (a Thursday evening) but we had a window seat with a nice view of the harbour and although the restaurant wasn't buzzing, there was a nice atmosphere with background music played at the appropriate level.

We went with a toddler and a newborn and found a highchair waiting for us with plenty of room for the buggy and found the staff to be child friendly.

The food was very good, it arrived hot and portion sizes were massive. As a vegetarian, I appreciated the "V" symbols on the menu. (Perhaps they could also be put next to the sauces of the build your own meal section as some sauces contain anchovies or fish so it would be nice to be sure). I went for the Black Bean Sauce as that is a safe bet for vegetarians.

My partner had prawn in sweet and sour sauce with rice and I had a fried noodle dish with vegetables. I was just thinking as the noodles were put down that there weren't many vegetables in there but that is when the waiter put down a second massive dish of fried vegetables to go with my noodles so I had a two large dishes and in fact completely filled a takeaway container with leftovers (dinner sorted for tonight too!).

The meal prices were very reasonable. Drinks were priced as anywhere else £2.00 for a softdrink but came in large glasses so one drink lasted the whole meal.

They also have a loyalty card where you can earn a free starter and main and they do takeaway.

This place deserves to make a name for itself. The staff are lovely, food is good and I am sure that slowly but surely this effort will pay off and the Little Panda will establish a loyal clientele.

1  Thank JJW972
Reviewed 14 October 2013

This little restaurant should be a lot busier than it was. delicious food!!!!! It is not well advertised within Ocean Terminal which is a shame. Staff are very attentive and friendly. The Little Panda would suit all types of visitor, Couples, Families, Business etc......

1  Thank Lynn D
Reviewed 13 October 2013

First time I've been to Ocean Terminal for a meal and I will admit the name of the restaurant The Little Panda encouraged me to try it out as I love Panda's.
I'm glad I found out about this place on the Ocean Terminal website under the dining section, as I had two of the best Chinese courses I've ever tasted in my life.
I went for Malaysian coconut soup for my starter and was truly impressed with the creamy coconut taste. For the main I ordered a chicken stir-fry which was delicious and healthy.
For two courses and one large glass of coke It came to a total of £13.20 which I think was very reasonable. Would go in the future for another visit whilst in Leith.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

Don't be put off bit the lack of advertising, the chef and staff know what they are doing. Food is very good, and I particularly enjoy the variety of korean, malaysian, japanese and chinese food on offer. The option of making up your own dish from basic components and ingredient is interesting and innovative. Everything we ate was very good, and the staff has been always attentive and polite. We didn't use deal vouchers, and we found the prices to be perfectly reasonable (£35 for two including drinks). They are trying really hard to make the restaurant work, and that works for us, as we live nearby and like to go for a meal and cinema in OT.