“terrible croissants!”

Dining options: Breakfast
Neighbourhood: Princes Street and Gardens
Description: Lovingly handmade cakes
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Well this was a surprise. I thought the French could make croissants ! The one I bought was solid, dry and tasteless. Avoid !

Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

There are cafes and then there is Patisserie Valerie!!!
My wife and I were visiting Edinburgh and as our hotel was only 3 minutes walk we decided to go for breakfast.
We were greeted like long lost friends, order was prompty taken and our food arrived well presented and looked great.
The staff were attentive without being pushy and our waiter Michael could not have been better.
We were so impressed that we decided to return for "afternoon tea". Yet again Michael greeted us, remembered us from earlier in the day and continued his excellent service while we tried to cosume a couple of wonderful but large cakes (you'll never eat all that he said to my wife). But we did.
We repeated the same procedure the following day by which time we felt so welcome we thought we were about to be invited to the staff party.
If this is the standard at all of their cafes around the country the competition might as well give up.
Beat a path to their door, you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

Sunday morning around 9.30. Looking for breakfast away from our hotel.
Found this cafe with an incredible range of beautifully presented cakes in the front window, a breakfast menu and looking clean and well presented inside.
We were served by a friendly waitress without delay.
A decent range of breakfast options available, including vegetarian. I had salmon and scrambled eggs. Nicely presented, plenty of both, with toast and butter included. I enjoyed the decaff cappuccino too.
Overall, decent value and less than we would have paid at the hotel.

Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

I'm usually a Starbucks girl but called in here as it was raining and couldn't get a seat in Starbucks or costa. My order was wrong - I got 2 caramel lattes instead of a caramel and a vanilla (ok everyone makes mistakes and I was ok to drink the caramel) but I wouldn't particularly say it was fantastic coffee. Then I ordered chocolate brownie and they had run out of those - it was only 12.45! I had a chocolate mousse and it was very sickly and dense! Itcame to £12.00 - very overpriced for what we had. I will stick to starbucks in future!

Reviewed 21 January 2014

We opted not to have breakfast in our hotel and settled on this place instead. The staff were friendly and quickly took our order. The coffee arrived quickly and was very welcome on a cold morning, but the wait for the food was longer than we expected given that the place was almost empty. When it arrived, all was as it should be, not spectacular, but average. The fruit salad was fresh, but not particularly imaginative and the eggs benedict were very pleasant. Overall, a pleasant and relaxed way to set up for a morning wandering around Edinburgh. Would we return, maybe not.