“Awful -poor food and slow service!”
Review of The clock cafe

The clock cafe
Ranked #1,243 of 2,609 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Reviewed 22 February 2014

We decided to get takeaway baguettes from The Clock about 2pm. Unfortunately, we had to wait 30 minutes for our food (the time the waitress stated to the chef when she noticed we were still there!). We had to correct the chef twice, even though the waitress had written down our order clearly on her pad in front of us. The chef then removed the wrong ingredients and threw them back into the main containers which was pretty unhygienic! When we did get our orders, one baguettes was still wrong, barely warm and had little filling. The waitress was very apologetic and I did feel sorry for her as she had had complaints from other customers while we were there. It should be noted that the place wasn't busy and they had two chefs and three waiting staff working. Definitely won't be going back!

Reviewed 19 January 2014

Hiding away just up from Haymarket station heading towards HMFC, passed many cafes but decided to try this one.....WOW! hidden treasure, excellent food, great choice, price, friendly staff and excellent coffee :) Its like the tardis doesn't look very big from the outside but spiral stairs to basement where there is plenty seating. Highly recommend if in the area and very reasonably priced - loved the homemade soup of the day, a must try - gutted didnt have room to try the cakes, will do on next visit :)

1  Thank FifiFizz
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Been here a few times and both the food and service have been great! Love the cosy couches down the stairs, perfect for a coffee and a catch up with friends.

Reviewed 15 September 2013

This cafe is small but has plenty of character (the basement seating area is reached by a rather decorative spiral metal staircase). The menu is tailored more towards lunches and light bites, rather than full evening meals, and hence the choice for evenings is necessarily a little limited. But I enjoyed the meal and would certainly go back there again.

I was particularly impressed by the waitress, who pointed out that the two soups we had ordered as starters would be too much, as they were meant as a lunch option on their own. She advised us to split one soup between the two of us as a starter, and that turned out to be just right. So kudos to her for advising us to spend a little less!

The service was somewhat slow, perhaps as it was a busy Saturday evening. There was a pavement dining area, which looked like a good option in warm weather. In summary, this would be a good option for those who are looking for something relaxed and don't require "fine dining". And the prices were very reasonable!

1  Thank PinkWellies
Reviewed 31 August 2013

I came here as I was looking for somewhere to kill time near Haymarket on my way to a job interview. Was really glad to find a lovely little café and then went downstairs to find a much bigger really nice space.
The staff were really helpful - gave me help on buses and when I forgot my phone and went back they had it saved for me and recognised me to give it to me. (Thank goodness - otherwise I might have been late for my interview!)

If I find a flat in the area I'll definitely be back!