“Great Food and Tremendous Value”

The Atelier Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Atelier Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #44 of 2,446 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: US$13 - US$26
Cuisines: European, British, Scottish
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: West End
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Great Food and Tremendous Value”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

My girfriend, my mum and I went to the Atelier for lunch yesterday and it was excellent. The service was great - our waiters were polite, attentive, punctual and friendly (as they also were when I phoned up to book). The food was equally good and the meal was superb value for money.

I started with a smoked duck and feta salad with pomegranate seeds and orange. It was really lovely, as were the spring onion, asparagus and pea soup, and salmon (the two other starters at the table that I managed to pinch some of).

For my main I had a really delicious mushroom risotto with a bit of truffle oil. It was creamy with different cuts of different types of mushroom and had some very nice slightly crispy stuff on top (roast parsnip I think) which worked really well. If I had an issue it was that the rice was a little more al dente than I like, but it certainly wasn't close to being undercooked and I know that for most risotto should have a little bite. So not complaining that my own, perhaps idiosyncratic, preference for mushiness wasn't quite catered for.

My pudding was a passion fruit fool, served with a mango foam and some very tasty raspberry sauce and another light green sauce of some description. All of the flavours worked together very well, with my girlfriend rightly pointing out that the fool itself tasted an awful lot like a Solero (the traditional orange coloured variety - 'exotic'?), which we all agreed was no bad thing. For me it was a little too sour, but I think that's the nature of passion fruit rather than any fault of the kitchen and the other two thought my dish was the best of the three deserts so I'm putting this very, very minor objection down to personal taste again. For me the super light ginger poached pair or the chocolate brownie with icecream and chocolate orange ganache were both slightly nicer (though all three deserts were delicious).

All of the dishes, especially the chicken the others ordered for their mains and the puddings, were very well presented, with thought and effort clearly having gone into the making each plate as visually appealing as possible.

What made the delicious, clever plates of food so impressive was the cheapness of the meal - 14.95 a head (plus twenty something quid for a bottle of wine). I'm not sure there are any better value lunches in Edinburgh, and while, though delicious, it isn't quite up to the level of some of the pricier set meals available in city it offers outstanding value for money. Will definitely be going back - hopefully very soon!

1 Thank Andrew D

Stirling, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Fabulous - excellent”
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I were in Edinburgh for the weekend and prior to arriving checked TripAdvisor for a good restaurant for dinner. After reading the reviews we booked a table for last night and were not disappointed! Presentation was lovely, food absolutely excellent. Hubby and I both had the delicious scallops, I then had the lamb - amazing, hubby delighted with his steak and we then shared the panacotta - wow what a meal, we both thoroughly enjoyed! Lovely small restaurant with a great atmosphere. Very friendly and attentive staff. Thank you so much, we shall definitely return when next in Edinburgh! Highly recommend.

Crowborough, United Kingdom
“Absolutely Delicious!!”
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I went here when I was on a girlie weekend. The food was fantastic and beautifully presented, the service was relaxed but very attentive, nothing was too much trouble. I' will definatly be returning.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Delicious but not big enough”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Booked a table for 12.30 and we were the first ones there for lunch but the restaurant quickly filled up. To start we had the soup of the day, which was said to us to be butternut squash but we heard some guests being told it was sweet potato, and the duck which was very small. We followed with the braised beef with oxcheek and hake for mains. The dessert was a delight - passionfruit cheesecake with mango mouse. All of the food was delicious albeit on the small side (other than the soup). Good value at £11.90 for two courses and £14.90 for three courses but I was still hungry after eating three courses.Service was slow and so we had to wait quite a while between courses.

• Visited April 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Brilliant... go ... now!”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Went with a friend while up in Edinburgh for work. Service was pleasant; the food was sensational. The menu was one I could have quite happily eaten anything off, and was inviting rather than arthouse tasting nonsense. Everything both looked great and tasted better.

If you took the precision of 1 star michelin dining, stripped away any pretension and went for options that put a smile on your face, and then serve it to you at very reasonable prices then you have Atelier.

I've eaten at pretty much every top rated restaurant in Edinburgh (travel a lot with work) and this the best- though timberyard is VERY good, and Papii for a coffee is great.

• Visited April 2014