“Super”

Price range: US$11 - US$23
Cuisines: Seafood, Thai, Street Food
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Broughton & Calton
Description: Port of Siam offers Thai Fusion in the vibrant heart of Edinburgh. Chef Phaitoon and his team blend authentic Thai spices with locally sourced fresh fish and seafood from Newhaven Fish Market, merging traditional Thai cuisines with modern Scottish cooking to create our delicious seafood dishes. Quality Scottish farm produce is also sourced to re-create our traditional Thai dishes and inspire many of the contemporary creations on the menu. Enjoy our excellent wines and the amazing cocktails prepared by our barmen in the Bangkok Bar, a small, but stylish bar that adjoins the restaurant and also serves an alternative daytime and evening Thai Street Food menu. The Bangkok Basement is our latest addition to facilities along with Port of Siam and the Bangkok Bar. A standalone music and Karaoke venue, the Bangkok Basement offers a great way to wind up that night out, or just come down for some great music and drinks. Open to all until 1am at weekends and also bookable for private events, this is a great new party place on the street.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Super”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Had been to the sister restaurant in Newhaven, so choose to try Newtown when asked by family where I wanted to go on fathers day. We had spent the day at the zoo with 2 kids, fantastic place, years since I'd been would also recommend a day there with/without kids.
We decided to share three starters between 4, veg tempura, flash fried prawns and chicken satay all fab, kids loved prawns. My wife had a massaman curry always her favourite, I had a sirloin done as a stir fry, delicious, and both kids loved their pad Thai. Again a couple of deserts shared with four spoons, could not fault the place.
Friendly service, nice cocktails a great fathers day out. Will definitely be back.

“Fan bloody tastic”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

The food, the wine, the service was absolutely phenomenal.

The port of Siam cannot be faulted and I'll be back very soon. Well done to all staff and management! Keep this up.

Highly recommended.

1 Thank Sean9000
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Drinks yes, food not so much”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I am a big Thai food lover and decided to try here as I was really attracted to their "Bangkok Bar" next door. Anywhere combining Thai food with cocktails is a winner for me.

The restaurant is lovely inside with a nice ambience. We ate from the pre theatre menu which was just ok. The choices were quite generic, limited and not very inspiring. I had the "flash fried prawns" for a starter which consisted of 4 tiny prawns which was a bit underwhelming. Mine and my partners curries (Massaman and Red) tasted and looked pretty much exactly the same and served with miniscule amount of rice. The desserts sounded really exciting and we got a lemongrass and white chocolate crème brulee and a lemongrass panacotta. We wish we hadn't bothered. Both were completely tasteless and really disappointing. However, the cocktail menu was great and the drinks that we chose both went down well but that was really the only positive for me.

The most unusual part was that they took three times to give us the correct bill when all we had ordered was 2 pre theatre menus and a drink each but for some reason they kept charging one of us full a la carte prices for all 3 courses and couldn't seem to correct this. Not great.

Definitely would not rush back for food but the bar is worth a try.

1 Thank Sarah488
Musselburgh, United Kingdom
“Fantastic value! Great food!”
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

Me and a friend had lunch here yesterday and choose to eat from the lunch menu (2 course £9.95) I had the prawns and she the chicken satay! Both delicious and good serving , presented beautifully. The waitress was very helpful and polite! The main courses arrived and I was blown away! Huge portion of amaZing vegetarian pad Thai which was delicious , and full of flavour (the plate looked very well presented also) my friend had the sea bass tempura and she also had a very good portion with fries which she commented was very good! I would have tried but I was so full from my own. At 9.95 for a filling 2 course I will definitely be visiting more often. Well worth it and one of the best lunches iv had in a long time ! I didn't try any dessert but next time I can't wait to have the coconut Ice cream! 5 stars everything !

1 Thank Kirky9788
Paris, France
“Excellent food and Service - Highly recommended”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Very good service, personnel was very kind and very careful at any time of the Dinner
Variety of food choice, high quality food, high quality wines
Last but not least the Lemongrass Strawberry Daiquiri is a must try !!