“Overpriced toot pedalled by staff who though they were selling holy relics”
Review of Old Town Context

Old Town Context
Ranked #90 of 200 Shopping in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Owner description: Every item at Old Town CONTEXT is handpicked, creating a veritable treasure trove of items you won’t find anywhere else. Harking back to a bygone era of sophistication the collection includes exclusive Scottish designed and made souvenirs, unique gifts and cards - nautical items, vintage flight models, retro toys, traditional games, sporting memorabilia, nostalgic brands and local artwork.
Reviewed 22 July 2016

Whilst out with some friends visiting Edinburgh today I had the utter misfortune to cross the threshold of this retail establishment otherwise known to most as a shop. It took no time at all to feel like we had wandered in to someone's secret precious place that they'd rather the great unwashed steer clear of. My friend's son committed the cardinal sin of picking up an imitation leather football and didn't put it back down correctly on it's wooden plinth to the horror of some precious thing custodian who tutted and made some comment about how if you don't put it back properly it rolls off and could cause literally tens of pounds worth of damage. I doubt if there was anything in the shop worth more than £200. At this point my friend actually made a purchase engaging a less offensive precious thing custodian in a retail transaction - you know, paying their wages. Whilst observing this I noticed that the other custodian was essentially following customers around returning the things THAT THEY SHOULDN'T BE PICKING UP to north north west like every good shop girl with mild OCD. All the while refraining from a smile or any degree of warmth or hospitality. Just horrible. It wasn't until we all left the shop that we really fully appreciated how hostile the environment was. It was all we could do not to return and move things around on every shelf, whilst buying things that we simply didn't deserve from their emporium of wonders. Old Town Context? I'll give you some context... Drop the attitude, you only work in a shop you know !!!

2  Thank JoshBeGosh1971

Reviewed 23 September 2015

Depending on your interests this nice shop could warrant a 3 or 4 rating.
Winding from the High Street of Old Town Edinburgh down to Waverley Train Station, Cockburn Street (pron. Coburn) is lined with shops. In the 70s and 80s they were funky clothing stores and record shops that added up to a hip 'n' happening market vibe. Today there is an assortment of shops too diverse to suggest there is any prevailing vibe, though some of those shops are more 'touristy' than in days of yore.
Old Town Context is one of those. But don't hold that against it, because not only does it stock some some items definitely suitable as take-home souvenirs of beautiful Edinburgh, it contains some fun/interesting/curious items that warrant a second look, even a purchase by locals. I was travelling light so settled on some nice fridge magnets and postcards. But I also enjoyed a pleasant chat with the staff (who were, wisely given the amount of traffic in the shop, ever attentive throughout). Given the nature of the inventory I am of the impression that the stock here changes constantly, so more than one visit during a holiday is recommended, just in case there is something wildly appealing that arrives the day after your look around. And if nothing appeals, then at least get some of those wonderful fridge magnets for you and your friends.

1  Thank Wayne B
Reviewed 16 August 2015

Some really nice things in this little shop, good fridge magnets and a nice range of metal wall signs

2  Thank Kath B
Reviewed 3 July 2015 via mobile

I phoned this shop today to ask if they had an item in stock .On the first phone call a lady picked up the phone and put it back down ,so I rang again thinking I had lost the connection as I was ringing from south wales. on ringing again a lady answered in a hostile tone and huffed down the phone I'm with a customer and slammed the phone down on me .I was taken aback and didn't know what to say I was in shock that somebody could be so rude , I was also a customer well I was, as I will never order or buy from this shop or company again .Terrible customer service

4  Thank carolinesurridge