“Clean, comfortable, great value”

Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre
Ranked #99 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Dublin
“Clean, comfortable, great value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2011

Arrived in the late evening to this hotel after a flight, check in was no problem, and it was easy to find. The room was big enough, very comfortable and well equiped, and if you forget anything just ask for a complimentary replacement at reception (i got a toothbrush and paste, duh!). There do seem to be quite a lot of families at this hotel, we were woken quite early by the kids in the next room fighting! Breakfast was as is to be expected from a buffet breakfast, a good range of choices though, and the option to take it back to the room is very helpful, as the dining area was packed!
Staff are very helpful and all in all I'd definitely stay here again, it was fantastic value for money.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Mgtresponse, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre, responded to this review, 25 March 2011
Dear KClarkDublin

Thank you very much for the great feedback about your stay at Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre. It was wonderful to read that the hotel was able to meet and exceeded your expectations and I have passed on your comments to our team as I know they also feel motivated when they read excellent comments.

I was delighted to read that you were able to use the forget something products which are kept at reception for our hotel guests.

I look forward to seeing you back at the hotel on a future trip to Edinburgh.

Catherine Fraser

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
Berkshire, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2011

Great hotel and location. Staff very good and attentive. We had a room at the back of the hotel so we didn't have much issues with noise. one thing I think they skimped on is the room walls, partitions were rather thin, other than that the room was of a very high standard. Shower was good. Ironing boards were located on the 4th floor.

Breakfast was basic but adequate, two of the following was available - scrambled eggs,bacon or sausage then there were cereals, juices, toast, croissants, the usual continental options.

Parking is only available in the Omnicentre opposite, where as a guest you get preferential rates, you just collect the token at the barrier, park up at car park, then when you check out, hand the token to reception for the discount rate. At time of writing it was £10 for 24hours parking.

If you're looking for snacks, newspapers etc.. there is a Tescos Express a few doors down.

The walk to centre of town took around 10-15 minutes, not far at all.

Reception were very friendly and efficient. We got a 2 for 1 deal, so we paid only £60/night. Check out their own website for special offers (it's were we found our deal)

We enjoyed our stay throughly, would stay there again.

1 Thank johnnyuk
Mgtresponse, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre, responded to this review, 19 March 2011
Dear Johnnyuk

Thank you for the great review about Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh City Centre. Our aim is to ensure that the hotel offers consistently high standards of service and facilities. I have passed your comments on to team and I know they share my aim of providing a genuine and welcoming service to our guests.

As many reviewers have stated the hotel is in an excellent location with many famous Edinburgh landmarks in close walking distance.

I was glad to see that you had used our web site to book your hotel accommodation and get the 2 for 1 offer as this offers great value.

I was really pleased to read that the team delivered great service and I look forward to seeing you back at the hotel on another trip to Edinburgh.

Regards

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2011

Me and my boyfriend stayed at this hotel in late January for four nights. The manin purpose of our visit to Edinburgh was sightseeing, so all we needed from our hotel was a comfy bed and filling breakfast. We were not disappointed, the location was very good, we could walk everywhere we wanted to go, which saved us on transport costs! Also there is a Tesco about a minutes walk away which came in handy! Our room was a bit small, but it was well presented, the towels were lovely and fluffy, the bedlinen crisp, the bed very comfy, and a good selection of teas and coffees. Breakfast was lovely, especially the scrambled eggs. My only issue was the toasters, which were located between the hot food and pastries, so the queue was held up while people were waiting for their bread to toast. Also I am vegetarian, so would have appreciated vegetarian sausages.
But all in all, a nice and comfortable stay, excellent value for money, will definitely be back should we visit Edinburgh again.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear TimeaRose

Thank you for the great comments about the hotel, location, staff and complimentary breakfast buffet. I am glad that you found the hotel to be a good base for exploring the many attractions within Edinburgh. Indeed as the New Town and Old Town parts of the City Centre are quite compact then it is easy to walk to most places.

I am sorry that the hotel did not have vergetarian sausages on this vist however If you have a special request please let our reception team know on check in where this can be organised for you.

Many thanks again for taking the time to add your comments on to Tripadvisor. The team looking forward to seeing you again at Holiday Inn Express on a future visit to Edinburgh

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2011

The hotel is right across the road from the Playhouse theatre and 2 minutes from the bus station. It is a very clean and tidy hotel, rooms are spotless too. The rooms are on the small side, along with the bathroom, no bath just a shower cubicle. My husband is over 6ft tall and his feet were sticking out the bottom of the bed and the duvet didn't cover him! Breakfast is a very chaotic experience with everyone waiting for the toaster which is right next to the 'hot food' buffet (a dish of scrambled eggs and hard, burnt bacon) This results in a queue of about 12 people blocking access to everything else! They really need to get things rearranged. Staff were not the friendliest, the only smile we got our entire stay was from the Polish cleaner! Reception staff seemed to think they were doing us a favour by attending to us, we felt we were interrupting their conversation.
We got the hotel through a special offer but if I had paid full price for it I would not have been too impressed.

1 Thank aberdeenquine09
Mgtresponse, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre, responded to this review, 15 March 2011
Dear aberdeenquine09

Thank you for the comments about your stay at Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh City Centre. I appreciate your positive feedback about the location and bedroom cleanliness.

The Holiday Inn Express offers standard double beds. I was sorry to read that you felt it was not large enough. The Holiday Inn Express brand standards are that all our rooms have power showers in them and unfortunately no baths.

I am sorry that you found our staff unfriendly on reception however I feel this not a true reflection on reading other reviews and I am sorry on this occasion that this was the impression that you got.

The complimentary breakfasts are normally the areas that get positive comments and I am sorry that you do not agree. I am sorry if the breakfast offered did not meet your expectations. The hotel offers a complimentary breakfast buffet with fruit juice, a range of hot drinks, Kellogg’s Cereal, Muesli, fresh fruit, fruit segments, toast, preserves and yoghurts as well as two daily hot options of scrambled eggs and bacon or sausage served on alternate days.

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review. The hotel management read all reviews as this helps to maintain and improve our service in order to meet and exceed the expectations of our guests.

England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2011

A good value hotel in a great location. Directly opposite the Edinburgh Playhouse Theatre and the Omni Centre which includes a cinema and a wide range of restaurants. There are also several bars and restaurants nearby the hotel. John Lewis is also facing the hotel, the other side of which is Princes Street, so good for shopping. A taxi from Edinburgh Waverley Station costs less than £5.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Mgtresponse, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre, responded to this review, 15 March 2011
Dear Jackie_England

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review. The Holiday Inn Express – Edinburgh City Centre does appreciate your positive feedback.

The hotel management read all reviews as this helps to maintain and improve our service in order to meet and exceed the expectations of our guests. I hope to welcome you back on a future occasion to Edinburgh.

Regards

Alex

Alexander Cameron
Front Office Manager
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2011

My now fiancee and i stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in march and the hotel staff could not have done any more to make our stay as pleasurable as possible . The room was perfect for what we wanted - somewhere clean to sleep after a full day sightseeing and the breakfast was second to none it was that good it kept us going untill dinnner so saved us on lunch costs! :) Overall a very enjoyable experience and i will be recommending this hotel to friends and family. I found the reviews on trip advisor very helpful when i was choosing a place to stay and this hotel lived up to all the good things that were said about it.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Mgtresponse, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre, responded to this review, 13 March 2011
Dear M Healy9

I appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel and thank you for your kind comments. The front desk Guest Service team work tirelessly to ensure all guests have a trouble free and enjoyable stay – I am always pleased when this is recognised by guests. I will pass your kind comments on to all the team. I look forward to welcoming you back to Edinburgh City Centre in the future.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2011

I booked two family rooms at the Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh City Centre for 6 of us girls who were on a city break for the weekend.

The hotel is around 15 minutes walk from Waverley Station, which was very convenient, with shops, pubs and restaurants all within easy reach.

The two rooms we had booked were different sizes, with one being bigger than the other - in the smaller room it was a bit of a tight squeeze. The rooms were clean and beds were comfortable with a choice of pillows (firm or soft!) which was a nice touch. The sofabeds were made up ready for us.

We loved the buffet breakfast and I thought it was very good value for money that this was included in the price. Filling up at breakfast meant there was no need to buy lunch!

Staff were friendly and helpful and were happy for to store our baggage for us after we had checked out.

The only criticism I have of this hotel is that the key cards kept failing. We must have had to get replacement keys at least three times during a two night stay - very annoying.

I would highly recommend this hotel, and visiting The Basement Bar around the corner for dinner - the food was fabulous!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
Mgtresponse, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre, responded to this review, 7 March 2011
Dear RSL1

Thank you so much for the great feedback regarding Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh City Centre. I am really pleased to read the positive comments about the hotel, location, staff and breakfast.

I was sorry to read that you had issues with your room key card unfortunately sometimes they do de activate.

I have passed on your comments to our team and they were delighted to hear that overall you had an enjoyable trip to Edinburgh.