“Ok for a short stay!”

Ranked #99 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Ok for a short stay!”
Reviewed 6 March 2012

The Hotel was modern and clean, not too far away from local attractions. Staff were friendly. Unfortunately the hotel was very noisy, from 6am all I could hear was people banging about, opening and closing doors and talking, so if you are a light sleeper I wouldn't recommend this hotel due to thin walls!! The bed wasn't the comfiest but was ok for one night! Didn't make it down to breakfast as it was too early for my liking, 6am till 9.30am. The kettle in the room was in need of a good clean as when we made a cup of tea there was black flakes floating in it! The cover for the sofa bed (Which we didn't use) was a bit stained but the rest of the room was clean enough.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Mgtresponse, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
Dear Debsboo.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay.

I am disappointed to hear that the kettle in your room was dirty as well as the sofa bed, please be assured this is not to our usual standard, and I shall certainly investigate with our housekeeping team as to how this happened.

Once again we appreciate your review, and hope to welcome you back to Edinburgh on a future occasion.

Alex Cameron
Deputy General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
Richmond, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2012

I stayed here recently and overall it was a very pleasant stay. The staff are friendly and helpful and the location is ideal for all the city centre attractions being only a 10 min walk (if that) from Princess St. The rooms are modern, comfortable and clean. My only criticism is the breakfast "experience". It was basically a free for all with no structure in place with regards staff or guests. There was no supervision and you had to literally grab a table as soon as one became free. Some people were stood with trays of food waiting for tables to become free which isnt acceptable especially if you have children with you. Overall though the food was ok.
Despte this criticism, we would stay there again as it does provide good value for money.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Mgtresponse, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
Dear Andrew,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

We appreciate your kind comments regarding the location of the hotel and cleanliness.

I am sorry to hear of your experience regarding breakfast at our hotel, our buffet is available between 6.30 - 9.30am on weekdays and 6.30 - 10.30 on weekends, occasionally during peak times the area can become busy, we do however also open our downstairs bar area, to allow for the overflow, as well as welcome guests to take breakfast back to their room.
Our team work hard to replenish and clear tables as quickly as possible and I do apologize for the inconvenience that may have been caused by you having to wait for a table.

Once again thank you for your review, and I do hope we can welcome you to our hotel on a future travel occasion.

Catherine Fraser
General Manager.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2012

Given that breakfast is included and this hotel is so central, it is very reasonable. The staff gave me a friendly greeting and breakfast was very pleasant.

My only gripe was that my room must have been near an extractor fan - it smelt of greasy food a bit.

Room came with free internet, but that was a bit temperamental.

Would definetly stay again.

• Stayed March 2012
Mgtresponse, Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre, responded to this review, 5 March 2012
Dear JamesShelly,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay.

We appreciate your kind words regarding the location and friendly staff that you encountered during your stay, we pride ourselves on our friendly team, and it is great to see that they are being recognized.

Although we do offer complimentary internet connection, this is fairly basic, and if guests wish to download etc, we do advise paying a fee for a higher quality.

Once again thank you for your review, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on a future travel occasion.

Sales Manager.
liverpool
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Family of 6 just returned, the hotel was clean, and rooms good, rooms were warm, but after enjoying a meal out returned to the hotel bar for a few drinks, the bar area was freezing, we asked for the air conditioning to be turned down, then after ordering drinks which the one of the staff did incorrectly, we were talked down to, like we were children, because who orders a double,double drink? Also with regards to the parking, this becomes really expensive if you dont get a parking space in the hotel, we had to park two cars in the carpark over the road, at a extra cost of £96 for 2 days. Breakfast???? All I can say is get ready to rumble, you attempt to get your breakfast, people leaning over you to get the things they want, and tables there is a shortage of them. Would we stay again i dont think so.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank lisa m
Dear Lisa M,

I am very sorry to hear of the experience you encountered when having a drink at our bar, this is certainly not to the standard our team normally adhere too, and I shall certainly investigate as to what happened on this occasion.

I am not sure why your car parking was £96.00, I can only assume it was because you had more than one car, as the usual cost's for using the NCP are around £24.00 per 24 hours, you are correct in stating it is expensive however the hotel cannot be blamed for the cost's charged within a public national car park. We do have limited parking at the hotel, however these are on a first come first serve basis, and as you can imagine are used quickly.

My apologies that you were unhappy with breakfast, again this can be busy if allot of guests are using the breakfast room at one time, which I believe is what happened during your stay, and whilst this is not ideal, our team do try their best to clear away the tables and replenish as quickly as possible.

Once again thank you for your review.

Sales Manager
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I stayed recently as a solo female traveller. Room was on the 4th floor, and I had no issues whatsoever with noise or room size as others have noted. However, I was staying Monday-Friday and not over the weekend which may be why others experienced problems with noise.

The room was clean upon arrival, and more than enough room for one person. The bathroom was also a good size, and the shower in particular was excellent. Location is also great - about 5-10 minutes walk to Waverley Station.

The only downside I found was the breakfast - I understand it is a limited stay hotel and breakfast reflects that. The hot food items were not nice, but if you're happy to eat cereal then you won't go hungry.

For the price I paid I was very happy, and would stay again when I return to Edinburgh.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Mgtresponse, Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre, responded to this review, 22 February 2012
Dear MsG,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay,

We appreciate all feedback and this enables us to constantly improve and work on our service.

I am pleased to see that you found your room to be of a good size and clean, our showers are power showers we often receive great feedback regarding these, so thank you.

Please accept my apologies for your dissatisfaction regarding breakfast, the quality of our items is to the highest quality, and I am concerned to hear you were unhappy with the item's offered, I shall certainly review this.

Once again thank you for your review, I hope we can welcome to the hotel on a future travel occasion.

Sales Manager.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Central Hotel, decent, clean, warm & well serviced rooms....view of the Forth if you stood on tip toe otherwise we could see the loading bay !

Breakfast bit basic but adequate....

all in all a positive experience

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Aitchabea,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay.

We very much appreciate your comments and look forward to welcoming you to the hotel on a future travel occasion.

Alexander Cameron
Deputy General Manager,
Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2012

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for our anniversary, Firstly our room was down below street level, and fairly small, On arrival we found the toilet had not been cleaned, there were excrement stains on the bowl,and the complimentary coffee/tea cups had been used so we had to wash them, cobwebs adorned every corner of the ceiling. The noise from the street and other rooms was overwhelming,so two very disturbed nights sleep.This hotel maybe very convenient for the playhouse and close to town but this is reflected in the price, We have stayed at lots of hotels and paid a lot less for dinner bed and breakfast than we did here for just bed and breakfast.

Room Tip: Do not let them give you rooms 1 to 25
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Mgtresponse, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre, responded to this review, 20 February 2012
Dear Jim S

Thank you for your response during you stay at the Holiday inn express Edinburgh I am sorry to read that you had problems while you stayed in Edinburgh

I am sorry to hear that you were disturbed by noise during the stay as it is not the intention to cause distress or discomfort to any of our guests. The soundproofing in the hotel is as per building control standards and with regret any noise from adjacent buildings is outside the management of the hotel.

I am not sure if you contacted the reception team to inform them that your room was dirty on arrival. The hotel team could have resolved this for you by offering another room and to find out how on this occasion a clean room was not provided, for this i wish to apologise as it is not the intention of the hotel to cause stress to any of our guests.

I have read through many trip adviser reviews and have never had to respond to one with issues as you have had and once again wish to apologise. I do just wish that you had allowed the team to resolve your issues before leaving the hotel as the team are disappointed with your review.

Once again thank you for your review.

Kind Regards,