“Great location” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #97 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Los Angeles, California
“Great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

Nice hotel with double bed and sleeper couch for children which is rare in Europe. Good breakfast and walking distance to all the sites.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Mgtresponse, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Dear Tennis,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay.

We very much appreciate your feedback and hope to welcome you to Edinburgh on a future occasion.

Catherine Fraser.
General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

We regularly stay at Holiday Inn Express hotels and the rooms are what you would expect, basic, but comfortable.
This hotel is perfect for a quick overnight stay if you are going to see a show in the Edinburgh Playhouse, which is situated straight opposite. You are only 5 minutes walk from Edinburgh Waverley train station and Princes street shops.
The hotel has a small car park at the back with limited spaces and charges £10 a night. The NCP car park opposite is £22 for 24 hours.
Breakfast is very basic and if you want a cooked breakfast you can choose from Sausage scrambled egg and beans, so don't expect anything else. However it was hot, fresh and replenished regularly.
The reason I have rated this 3.....On arrival I had a quick shower before going out to see a show. When I went to use the hairdryer it did not work. I rang down to reception to report it and the lady said she would be straight up to have a look. After 45 mins of waiting for someone to come and have a look, we could not wait any longer and I had to leave with semi-wet hair. When we returned later, I checked to see if the hairdryer had been fixed......Answer, no!

Room Tip: We stayed on the 6th floor at the back of the hotel. It was very quiet.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Mgtresponse, Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Dear Pocomas,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay.

Firstly please accept my sincere apologies for the problem you encountered with the hairdryer, and I am very concerned that your request was not dealt with, I shall certainly investigate with the Manager on duty.

I appreciate your informative review, as we do live in a world where reviews are used constantly when making bookings, it’s always great when constructive yet informative reviews are given.

Once again many thanks, and please do not hesitate to contact me personally if you are visiting Edinburgh again.

Clitheroe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

A typical tourist hotel with all that most people could wish for.Good location with some car parking (pay £10 per night if available) which is a bonus in Edinburgh.Situated on a busy street with theatre,bars and restaurants so could be noisy but we had 6th floor room at back and no problems.Breakfast is a bit of a rugby scrum and bar facilities could be better.Bar staff cover reception too at times and this can cause delays in being served.Also when we were there 2 out of 3 draught beers were unavailable but I believe that was due to change in supplier.
All in all,quite a good option for a crash pad while exploring Edinburgh providing you don't pay top dollar.

Room Tip: room 611 was good
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Recordable,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay.

My apologies for the lack of draught available during your stay, this was, as you have mentioned due to a change in supplier, and the stock being changed, this has now been rectified with our new draught options, Magners, Stella and Tennants.

Once again thank you for your review, and I hope we can welcome you to Edinburgh on a future occasion.

UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

Have now stayed at this hotel on 3 separate occasions. Every time it has proved to be clean and comfortable. The Hotel is actually a very nice converted row of Georgian houses, in the New town and rooms are quite big. Facilities are fine and it is located in a super part of the capital, just a couple of minutes walk away from Princess street and surrounded by many cafes and restaurants . It is within close range of many of Edinburgh's finest attractions and also it's main railway station, Waverly . The breakfast is basic but more than adequate and it really belies it's budget status. Highly recommended and good value for money.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Wideeyedandlegless
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your constructive review, it's great to hear such positive comments regarding our hotel and location, and we very much appreciate your loyalty.

We are very lucky to be located within the city centre of Edinburgh and close to all local amenities, and we do pride ourselves on our beautiful building.

Once again many thanks for your review,

Gemma Vincent
San Francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

We Stayed for a quick stop over from London. We selected this hotel because of the value. The room was larger then expected. Simple decor, could have been at a Hoiday Inn anywhere. The things we really enjoyed were the location, the hotel staff and the breakfast. The location is within walking distance to shuttles, bus tours, shopping, pubs and resturants. There is a very delicious Indian resturant at the end of the block and The Conan Doyle on the opposite block. Make sure the resturants you wish to visit are open! We were there on a Monday and some places are closed Sunday-Monday. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful in making suggestions on nearby activities. The included breakfast is a good way to start your day with plenty of options for everyone.
I would stay here again for a quick stop over. If I were spending more time, I would look for a hotel with more character.
Note: the included wi-fi is very, very slow.
Tips: Try the hop on hop off buses. If you are here for 2 days, pay the extra for the 48 hour bus. It allows you to take all 3 buses and will stop at all sites in the city.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Cosmicevil.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay.

I am pleased to see that you found your stay enjoyable, our team work hard to ensure our guests have a great time in Edinburgh aswell as at the hotel.

I hope we can look forward to welcoming you to the hotel on a future occasion.

edinburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

Had to be in Edinburgh for one night mid week with our dog. Struggled to find anywhere that was dog friendly where we could stay until I came across the Holiday Inn which is located opposite the Playhouse, has a car park & was within walking distance of where we had to be in the evening. When I entered the room I couldn't believe how spacious it was. We had just booked a basic room and was expecting something functional akin to a large broom cupboard but was pleasantly surprised by the size of the room. The room was on a corner so that may account for the larger proportions. The shower room was small but adequate. We spent very little time in the room other than to sleep. Breakfast was included which I didn't have, but my husband had some toast and coffee which he said was fine. The hotel has a great location but it is on a busy noisy road (day & night) and as a light sleeper I relied on my ear plugs. However - for the money we paid, the fact that we had a bright large clean room & we were able to take our dog with us - it was more than fit for purpose.

Only very slight niggle was when I checked out. Having been so pleasantly surprised that the hotel had exceeded our expectations I was going to give some nice feedback to the girl at reception but she made no eye contact whatsoever and carried on talking to her colleague without barely an acknowledgement of my presence.

Room Tip: do take earplugs if you are a light sleeper and your room overlooks Picardy Place. Our corner room...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Mgtresponse, Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Dear Dee,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave a review regarding your recent stay.

It is great to see your kind comments regarding the location of the hotel and your room, we are quite happy to accept small dogs at the hotel, and I am pleased that you all enjoyed your time here.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the lack of customer service in which your received from our team member, all feedback is very important to us as it enables us to constantly review our services and standards, and it appears on this occasion we failed.

I am however greatful that you have shared your views on the hotel on this website, and look forward to welcoming you to our hotel on a future occasion.

Ayrshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

I spent a Saturday night in a clean and comfortable sixth floor room at the rear of the hotel with a splendid view of the Forth with its bridges and Fife in the distance.

The excellent location, highly convenient for numerous restaurants, pubs and entertainment venues in the immediate vicinity, does of course mean a lot of traffic by day and people at night, so I was delighted to find virtually zero traffic noise despite constant activity in the busy street outside.

The room was on the small side but pleasantly decorated and equipped with flat screen TV, sofa, comfortable bed, choice of pillows, and a spotless shower room which appeared recently refurbished.

As I primarily used the hotel as a place to crash out after a night out, I was keen on a Sunday morning lie-in. OK, so I was in no shape for breakfast. Unfortunately, while the bed was comfortable enough the lie-in didn't really happen due to people tramping on very squeaky floorboards in the corridor and even normally-pitched conversation from the early risers next door was highly audible. Bring your ear plugs.

A combination of the central location and generally high demand in Edinburgh must add a premium to the price. Even though I didn't pay the rack rate, I still found the price (booked on Holiday Inn web site) was slightly hefty for a solo stay - probably OK for two - but for me this is simply good, clean, business class accommodation, no more, no less.

The one thing I would note is that the offhand attitude of the member of staff who dealt with my checkout certainly left a slightly bad taste in the mouth. That's a shame as I'd otherwise recommend the hotel for convenient city centre stay, although you should look closely for the best deals or consider other options.

Room Tip: Request a room at the rear of the building, preferably on a higher floor to keep away from street no...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear ColinAustin,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review regarding your recent stay.

Thank you for your constructive comments regarding your experience, and please accept my apologies for the below par standards of service you received, I shall certainly investigate with the team on duty on your day of departure as to why this happened.

Once again many thanks for your comments and I do hope that we can welcome you to our hotel on a future travel occasion.