Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre
US$218
Travelocity
US$678
2,189 results
All reviewsomni centreplayhouse theatregreat locationpicardy placehi expressjohn lewisfree breakfastthe breakfast areahot itemsthe sofa bedcity centreroyal miletram linetesco expressyork placeprinces streetper night
Reviewed 27 December 2012

I lived in Edinburgh for 15 years so I haven't stayed in many of its hotels, but from the ones I have stayed in I would say this is an average hotel for the area.

"Average" is ok. It's fine if you just need a hotel for a meeting or if you're visiting friends etc.
To be fair - that's probably what the Holiday Inn Express is all about.

I wouldn't say it's somewhere to go for a romantic break, or if you are trying to impress someone.

The breakfast is fairly basic. The downside with it wasn't what was on offer - that was fine - instead it was the rather chaotic nature of the setup and the fact that you're table is likely to get cleared away if you leave it alone to go and get some toast etc.

The rooms were clean and of an OK size.
I was on the top floor so I didn't get any nice from above, but based on the squeaky floors etc I fear that the lower rooms may suffer from noise above.

There is a small car park at the rear. I didn't need to use this so I don't know what the charge is - if any.

I didn't deal with many of the staff, but the ones I did speak with were pleasant / polite.

There are some fabulous bars and restaurants in the immediate area, and if you are working or visiting the Playhouse Theatre it's right across the street.

I will probably look at other hotels when I next need to stay in Edinburgh, but if this one offers the best deal I will happily stay in it again.

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor at the rear. If nothing else - its a nice view..!!!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Mgtresponse, Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2012

Dear Scot,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following on from your recent stay.

We are aware breakfast can be busy at peak times and have tried to set the area up in order to serve maximum guests, however as it is a buffet it can become busy, I do apologise if you were inconvenienced.

Thank you for your detailed review and photos they are very much appreciated.

I do hope you will consider us on a future occasion or indeed one of our IHG property's within the city.

Sales Manager

Reviewed 22 December 2012

Stayed here for first time for short city break. Lovely hotel and room was very comfortable. Really handy as only round corner from train station and in prime location for shops restaurants and the theatre. Got late check out upon request and free wireless access. Staff very polite. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Andrella2012
Reviewed 17 December 2012

This was my 2nd stay here and got a quiet room to the rear, excellent service and great value, will definitely use this hotel again. We stayed Friday and Saturday after going to a concert across the road, great location for restaurants, pubs and entertainment.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Ian A

Dear IanA,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, we certainly appreciate all feedback.

We are very proud of our location and as you have indeed mentioned we are very close to the Playhouse Theatre and many local attractions, bars and restaurants.

Many thanks once again for your review, and we hope to welcome you to our hotel on a future occasion.

Reviewed 17 December 2012

The outside of this hotel is rather non-descript (we almost walked past it), probably because it is a landmark-building. Front desk was courteous and allowed us an early check-in. Late check-out is available upon request. As I had to check-in for our return flight, we were given vouchers for the business center (with 2 pc's & printers) which was very handy. The internet there worked fast enough.

Our room was on the 4th floor at the back of the hotel at end of the hallway which was ok with us (quiet). It is alway sort of a shock when you enter an european hotel room. This one, with 2 single beds, was tiny to say the least. But the decor was modern and light with open closet space, flatscreen tv, coffee/tea facilities & hairdryer and the room itself was clean. Bathroom (shower only) also was tiny but reasonably clean (mold on the showerhead). No washcloths, just a paper towel you're suppossed to use. One of the beds was about 10cm from the radiator, which didn't invite us to put on the heating, especially not at night (the room was not very warm). No airco, but a fan is provided and I think the windows can be opened. It took us a while to figure out how to work the lights (you have to place your keycard in the slot on the wall) and the switches seemed to be in a random order.

Free breakfast is served on the 2nd floor. It was decent with lots of choices but only just enough seating. And it was very warm and stuffy in the breakfast-area!

For the purpose of our stay (visiting a show at the Edinburgh Playhouse) this hotel was ideally situated: right across the road! The Omni-center (with restaurants&cinema) is next to the theatre. St James Centre (small mall) is also close by. Princess Street is a 10 min. walk as is the Airlink (direct connection to Edinburgh airport, takes about 30 min.) busstop. Edinburgh itself is absolute fun to visit with the winterfestivities going on.

We would probably stay here again, but maybe in a larger room if available.

Room Tip: If you like a quiet room, ask for 1 at the end of the hallway.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Anika,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at our hotel.

We appreciate your informative review as this allows other travellers to be provided with additional information regarding our hotel - I must however apologise if you were unhappy with some of our amenities, we normally receive such great feedback, all Express property's across the UK and Ireland provide showers and do not have baths, with regards to the heating the setting at the highest is very warm however we do understand tastes differ and apologise if you were cold and it is not our intention for our guests to be uncomfortable.

Once again many thanks for your review and I certainly do hope you choose our hotel on a future occasion.

Reviewed 16 December 2012

The Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre is situated in a prime location. It is in the middle of New Town and only a short walk to Calton Hill and Old Town. In addition Picardy Place is the centre of the pink triangle.
The room was clean, spacious and tidy. I felt very comfortable. All in all the hotel showed a high standard - enough clean towels, a kettle for tea and coffee, a television and free complimentary Wifi. The bathroom and toilet was very clean. Everything seemed quite new and modern. We had a view out of the window.
Please make sure you have your room card with you at all time. My boyfriend left the card with me in the room as he went down to have a cigarette. As it was still in the morning and the doors locked he had to ask the reception to let him in. The receptionist, Max, would not believe that he stayed in the hotel and was a bit rude. In this minute I just came downstairs as well and could clarify the situation. All the other staff during this stay was incredible friendly and helpful.
There was a free breakfast buffet we enjoyed every morning. It was simple but very nice.
Me and my boyfriend arrived early but the hotel gave us the chance to lock away the luggage until the check-in. As we had a late flight, we were also able to put the luggage into a save place after our check-out.
I would come back to the Holiday Inn if I was returning to Edinburgh. It is an ideal place to stay. Make sure to book your stay in advance so the lower fares apply.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TobWeb
Mgtresponse, Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2012

Dear Tobweb,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review following on from your stay at our hotel.

We do pride ourselves on our central location and friendly team, I am very sorry to hear of your experience with one of our team members, I can only assume Max was following the correct guidelines we have in place for security and do apologise if he seemed rude I am quite sure this was not his intention, I will however be sure to follow this up with him.

I am pleased that otherwise you enjoyed your stay and do hope you will return to us on a future occasion.