“A good place”

Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre
Ranked #106 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 14 May 2014

This is a rather good hotel. The rooms are clean. In each room there is a teapot, cups, etc, so that you can drink tee. Breakfast in the hotel is also good. Each morning you can get a free fresh newspaper.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank A2230NV_
Mgtresponse, Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Dear Amma,

Thank you for your review, I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us! We hope to see you again soon!

Sales Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,124)

Reviewed 13 May 2014

The work 'express' speaks for itself. This is a simple hotel with basic amenities and room facilities. It is suitable for guests staying for only one or two nights. Anything longer this hotel can get quite frustrating. The room does not have a safe deposit box, ironing board and enclosed cupboard. It has very limited TV channels. The complimentary breakfast is decent. However, the restaurant area is small making it very crowded during busy times. If I require to stay in Edinburgh for more than two nights, I would opt for another hotel because I will require better room facilities.

Room Tip: Opt for a room that is not on the 5th or 6th floor. There are two lifts in the hotel. The first one...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank rob_faris

Dear Rob,

Thank you for your review I am sorry to hear you were unhappy with the facilities within your room here at the hotel, we do not as a brand offer safes within our rooms however we do have them available at reception and of course are more then happy to store anything that is required.
We have an ironing room on the fourth floor of the hotel.

Once again thank you for your review,

Reviewed 12 May 2014

This is a good hotel in an excellent location for the city. Didn't eat there but standard HI fare. My biggest criticism is the parking, a real pain in the neck if you are using a car as you aye to move all the gear up a lift, down the road, across the street etc etc

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Mgtresponse, Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Dear Giles,

Thank you for your review, I am sorry to hear you were inconvenienced by the lack of parking at the hotel this is due to the fact that we are within a central location, we do have limited parking however just 9 spaces, the NCP is across the road from the hotel as you have highlighted, once again thank you for your review.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Fantastic location,close to main shopping area and Royal mile,staff very friendly and professional room was spotless and comfortable,very enjoyable breakfast plenty of choice.
Will be my first choice hotel next time I visit Edinburgh

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank FGGglasgow

Dear FGGlasgow,

Thank you for your lovely review, I am very pleased to see you enjoyed your stay, we do have a fantastic location here in Edinburgh and we certainly hope you will return again soon!

Reviewed 12 May 2014

I travel the world for business in which I must stay in a minimum of 30-60 hotels each year and this one is by far the best I've stayed in for a few years. When I first arrived around about 8PM the hotel looked warm and cosy and a member of staff greeted me with a smile soon as I walk through the door. Checking in was fast and the receptionist explained everything from breakfast times to where my room was then went on to speak about a reward system that I'm ashamed I never joined before with the amount of times I must have stayed in a hotel with a same type of system. The room was clean, tidy and the bed was comfortable, I slept like a baby. Breakfast was really good even though I was hoping for bacon but couldn't complain because the sausages was really nice compared to other budget hotels I've stayed in. Checking out after my stay was easy and fast and once again was greeted by someone who was happy to help and made me feel welcome. I wish that all the hotel destinations I stayed at was as good as this one. I definitely recommend it and I would stay again. Thanks.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank lloydie29

Dear Lloydie,

Thank you very much for such a kind and positive review, I know our team will be delighted by your feedback, we certainly hope to welcome you again soon!

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Advertised as having guest parking. There are a handful of places, continuously occupied. It does not even have anywhere to unload luggage - at least legally, without stopping on double yellow lines. We drove round in circles for most of an hour, pending our fellow travelers trying to sort out what to do. When raised, they were told "park in the glass building across the road". Guidance as to how to find the entrance to that, from a non-native speaker of English (and no doubt non-driver) receptionist via in-car hands free mobile was nothing short of pathetic. It took a full 1/2 hour in heavy, often one-way traffic, to find the car park entrance. Why, for goodness sake, doesn't their website information give maps on instruction to park cars - which they advertise as there - rather than leaving it to an untrained poorly communicating, non-driver who obviously had never been shown how to find Holiday Inn's overspill parking?

Then there were the beds. The cheapest of cheap mattresses. Recipe for back aches - all included, free of charge. How expensive would it be to buy semi-decent mattresses?

Then the room did not provide any hotel information! Phone calls to reception for everything. There was no shampoo or conditioner! We had to provide our own / buy some from the Tesco Extra nearby. The extractor fan failed to work.

Breakfast: reconstituted egg powder masquerading as scrambled egg: a good rubber substitute. Sausage look-a-likes: good if you fancy eating rusk. No bacon or any traditional Scottish item. At least they could not ruin the beans or toast.

Then, during our 48 hour stay, we had to return to reception on at least 6 occasions to have the room swipe cards reprogrammed. "Most of our guests have had this problem" - so why not get a new programmer?

The only mitigation was location. It could so easily have been better, with just a bit of thought, training and just a few £ spent to avoid the cheapest of the cheap - which is what you get at this holiday Inn Express.

Avoid.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank A_TravellerFlorida
Mgtresponse, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2014

Thank you for your review, I am sorry you felt that the hotel was not to your expectations, however as you will see from our many other 4/5 star reviews this is not the norm. I have spoken to the staff concerned regarding directions to the car park and we also have printed directions available from reception.

We pride ourselves on our customer service and hope you would return to give us the opportunity to restore your faith in our hotel.

Kind Regards
Alex Cameron

Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

Probably one of the worst hotels in terms of service in fact saying that they don't know what service means would be a understatement... Location and rooms are a thumbs up though...we asked for simple things like..water, cutlery and it crossed the limit when our rooms phone wasnt working and we asked if we could make a local phone call from the reception for which I was ready to pay, The receptionist asked me to go out and make that call as she said she couldn't make the call for me,late in the evening and pouring rain in Edinburgh..and the cherry on top of this rotten cake is that she said she wouldn't give me an umbrella. It is ridiculous that we pay our hard earned money to be treated like unwanted thugs!!! My advice: go for a hotel where they would try and make your stay more comfortable and not in one where you are treated like a burden and a botheration!!

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Pankaj M
Mgtresponse, Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Dear Panjaj,

Thank you for your review, I am very sorry to hear you were unhappy with your stay, however I must admit I am very surprised by your comments as we normally receive such fantastic feedback regarding our team members.

We do have a payphone within our reception area and are more then happy to provide umbrellas should they be available, we charge a £10.00 deposit for these which is given back when the guest returns the umbrella, I can only apologise if there has been some misunderstanding and please be assured I will certainly investigate with the staff on duty as to why this happened.