My husband and I stayed at this Hotel for 4 nights to attend the World Clan Gathering. I agree with earlier reviews that the location was excellent, however overall we were disappointed with our experience, particularly the size of our room. There are no porters at this hotel and quite a few steps up to the front door, so if you have any kind of disability or frailty, this entrance could be tricky. We arrived to find two of the receptionists engaged in discussion and no eye contact was made to let us know that we had been acknowledged. After check-in we had to 'heft' our luggage down a short flight of stairs to the lift, and then up another short flight of stairs to the lower level 'split floor'. We had a room below street level in what can only be described as a broom cupboard sized room. There is no space in this room to stand side by side. The room was clean as was the bathroom and toilet, however there was just enough space on either side of the small double bed to get into bed and the bathroom consisted of a shower and handbasin with separate toilet. Again, modern and clean but tiny. The whole feel of this lower floor was claustrophobic. It was a non-smoking floor but someone on our floor was either breaking the rules and smoking or our room was receiving passive smoke from guests having to go outside the hotel entrance for a smoke. It was very hot and the room only contained a small fan, which did very little to provide air circulation. Our room was serviced with fresh towels each day but the bathroom mirror and handbasin were not cleaned during our stay. One day I couldn't find my sunglasses, although they'd been on the bed earlier in the day. I searched the room and had to leave without them. We found them inside the sheets that night, where obviously the sheet and bedcover had been 'pulled up' during bed making whilst we were at breakfast! I guess that's called 'straightening the room'. Breakfast is OK and consists of cereals, fruits, toast and pastries along with juices, tea and coffee. It's a little like being in a self serve cafe where you have to place your selected items on a tray and then place your tray on a rack after you've completed your meal. We sent some clothes for dry-cleaning but had to ask at reception for them after 2 days because they're not returned to your room, which we weren't aware of. There is no restaurant, only a bar serving drinks and nibbles and there are a number of beggars in the surrounds during the day and evening. There'es a great take-away fish & chips, pizza shop around the corner to the right and an Italian restaurant a couple of doors down on the left, however the waiters are very rude and arrogant.
Would we stay in this hotel again - probably not, mainly because of the size of the rooms, the claustrophobic feel of the lower floors, the stifling heat and lack of air down there and the lack of full servicing of our room. There are no 'extras' provided and we felt it was akin to a decent motel. I would have expected a Holiday Inn experience to be better than this hotel provides.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Free Internet Access and Free Hot Breakfast. Simply ask for an internet voucher at check in. The hotel offers continental breakfast buffet plus two daily hot options. Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh City Centre is a 5 minute walk to Princes Street & a 10 minute walk to the Royal Mile. Located near the St James Shopping Centre & Edinburgh Playhouse Theatre. The hotels offers free luggage storage and has designated smoking bedrooms. All bedrooms & public areas have high-speed wired & wireless internet access provided by Swisscom. All rates include complimentary EXPRESS START breakfast for all persons. The hotel is within walking distance of Waverley Railway Station and St Andrews Square Bus Station. The Airlink 100 Bus goes from Waverely Bridge to Edinburgh Airport in 25-minutes. Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh City Centre is located near Broughton Street, George Street & Queen Street. The hotel is across from the Omni Centre with a choice of restaurants & a Vue Cinema. This Edinburgh City Centre hotel is a perfect choice if you are looking for a base near Edinburgh Castle, The Real Mary Kings Close , Edinburgh Dungeons and Holyrood or for events at Murryfield Stadium, Corn Exchange, Hearts Football Club, Hibernian Football Club or Meadowbank Stadium. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, IHG, Lastminute, Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre Hotel Edinburgh
- Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre Scotland