“Stay here if you like sleeping in a broom cupboard”

Ranked #102 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Melbourne
“Stay here if you like sleeping in a broom cupboard”
Reviewed 22 August 2009

My husband and I stayed at this Hotel for 4 nights to attend the World Clan Gathering. I agree with earlier reviews that the location was excellent, however overall we were disappointed with our experience, particularly the size of our room. There are no porters at this hotel and quite a few steps up to the front door, so if you have any kind of disability or frailty, this entrance could be tricky. We arrived to find two of the receptionists engaged in discussion and no eye contact was made to let us know that we had been acknowledged. After check-in we had to 'heft' our luggage down a short flight of stairs to the lift, and then up another short flight of stairs to the lower level 'split floor'. We had a room below street level in what can only be described as a broom cupboard sized room. There is no space in this room to stand side by side. The room was clean as was the bathroom and toilet, however there was just enough space on either side of the small double bed to get into bed and the bathroom consisted of a shower and handbasin with separate toilet. Again, modern and clean but tiny. The whole feel of this lower floor was claustrophobic. It was a non-smoking floor but someone on our floor was either breaking the rules and smoking or our room was receiving passive smoke from guests having to go outside the hotel entrance for a smoke. It was very hot and the room only contained a small fan, which did very little to provide air circulation. Our room was serviced with fresh towels each day but the bathroom mirror and handbasin were not cleaned during our stay. One day I couldn't find my sunglasses, although they'd been on the bed earlier in the day. I searched the room and had to leave without them. We found them inside the sheets that night, where obviously the sheet and bedcover had been 'pulled up' during bed making whilst we were at breakfast! I guess that's called 'straightening the room'. Breakfast is OK and consists of cereals, fruits, toast and pastries along with juices, tea and coffee. It's a little like being in a self serve cafe where you have to place your selected items on a tray and then place your tray on a rack after you've completed your meal. We sent some clothes for dry-cleaning but had to ask at reception for them after 2 days because they're not returned to your room, which we weren't aware of. There is no restaurant, only a bar serving drinks and nibbles and there are a number of beggars in the surrounds during the day and evening. There'es a great take-away fish & chips, pizza shop around the corner to the right and an Italian restaurant a couple of doors down on the left, however the waiters are very rude and arrogant.

Would we stay in this hotel again - probably not, mainly because of the size of the rooms, the claustrophobic feel of the lower floors, the stifling heat and lack of air down there and the lack of full servicing of our room. There are no 'extras' provided and we felt it was akin to a decent motel. I would have expected a Holiday Inn experience to be better than this hotel provides.

3 Thank AussiejOy_9
Mgtresponse, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre, responded to this review, 19 October 2009
Dear Aussiejoy_9
I was sorry to read your comments about the size of our bedrooms and service here at Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh City Centre. This hotel is not a Holiday Inn or Crowne Plaza hotel and therefore a luggage porter, restaurant with table service, delivery of laundry back to guest bedrooms or a full 'turn down' housekeeping service are not provided. The size of our guest bedrooms meets the standards as laid down by Visit Scotland and Inter-Continental Hotels Group and the hotel does not have bedrooms as you described in your review. However, I appreciate that you may have been short of space if you were unpacking clothes from large suitcases for a four night stay.
I am sorry if the hotel failed to live up to the expectations of a Holiday Inn hotel as it is not the intention of the team to cause distress or discomfort to any of our hotel guests.
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Tripadvisor and for the positive score regarding location and cleanliness.
Regards
Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2009

Just got back from Edinburgh after staying for one night. When we arrived we were early for check-in but the offer of a bag drop was very handy. Very pleasant staff to welcome us and give us advice on the hotel facilities.

Returning from a very rainy city centre, we were able to check in without a hitch. When we got up to our room, the room key was temperamental as it was throughout the stay. After a minute we got in. The room was spacious and was the perfect size for two people.

We were on the trip with my sister who was given a room on the top floor, however being able to access her room was easy as well with the stairs being situated opposite our bedroom, though they were not noisy at night.

One of the best features of this hotel was the ease of getting food. Opposite was the Omni Centre (an entertainment centre with a cinema and eateries), so dinner was sorted with all members of the family happy with Frankie and Benny's.

A good quality bed with very good pillows ensured for a good nights sleep. You could not hear any noise from outside despite the hotel being located at a major roundabout in the city centre.

Woke up the next morning feeling very refreshed. Good 'all you can eat' continental breakfast with newspapers to read.

One final thing. We wanted to make the most our of our time in the city, so after asking we were allowed to leave our luggage there until we needed to depart the city despite having checked out. Thank you very much.

A very good city centre hotel which would make a perfect city centre base for any traveller to the city.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Many thanks for leaving such a positive review about the location, bedrooms, staff and breakfast at Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre. I was delighted to read that you found the hotel to be a great base while you were in Edinburgh. I have passed your feedback on to all of our hotel team and I look forward to seeing you again at the hotel.
Best wishes
Tennessee
Reviewed 11 August 2009

Although this hotel is not the Express on the Royal Mile... it's within walking distance of the Royal Mile, great shops (there's a mall just a block away) great food, and some great tours. We walked to Holyrod Palace, Edinburgh Castle, and quite a few other places while we were there. We just stayed for one night, but the staff was very accommodating and moved us from a smoking room to a non smoking room. The cafe down stairs was also a nice place to wait out the rain-- which there was A LOT OF. Don't go to Scotland or Ireland if you get grumpy in the rain.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone passing through Edinburgh. One thing to keep in mind though-- the beds are small. Two of us stayed in the room and we had two twin beds. If you are booking, make sure to look at what you are booking because you won't get the giant beds you're used to at HI Express in the States. We didn't care about it, and the bed was quite comfortable.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
Thank you for the review of for highlighting the fact that Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh City Centre is within walking distance to the Royal Mille, Edinburgh Castle and Holyrood Palace.
Where possible, we do try and help guests to get their room type preference when they have booked a standard bedroom and I wad glad to read that the team was able to assist with your request. Holiday Inn Express hotels in the UK do differ from Holiday Inn Express hotels in America. All of our twin bedrooms have two single beds and our family bedrooms have a double bed and sofa bed.
I was pleased to read that you found the beds to be quite comfortable and thank you for the great ratings.
Regards
England
Reviewed 28 July 2009

We stayed there two nights, the first night was just two of us which was great for our room. But the the second night we stayed there with 4 adults and it was so crowded and the extra bed (the sofa bed) was small and VERY UNCOMFORTABLE! I would NOT recommend this room for more than 2 adults (maybe 1 or 2 kids could sleep comfortably on the sofa bed but then there is not much walking space left in the room).

The hotel itself was great. Great location, good service, and breakfast pretty good (but crowded). I was a bit disappointed in the lack of toiletries available in the room. They only provide a combo shampoo/body gel in the shower but no lotion or shower cap or even bar of soap...I expected more from the Holiday Inn chain and therefore didn't bring that kind of stuff (but ended up having to go buy it at the local Boots).

This hotel has an unbeatable location and the price is reasonable. I would recommend it for no more than 2 adults!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
Mgtresponse, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre, responded to this review, 29 July 2009
Many thanks for leaving a review about your stay at Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre. I was glad to hear that you found the hotel to be in a great location and that the bedroom size was comfortable for two persons. The family bedrooms at Holiday Inn Express have one double bed plus one double bed and will accommodate up to 4 persons. I was sorry to hear that there was not much space in the bedroom when the bedroom was occupied by 4 adults. I was also sorry to hear that you had purchased additional toiletries, however the hotel does meet the brand standards by offering shampoo / shower gel and liquid soap. Body lotion and bars of soap are avaialble in executive bedrooms at Holiday Inn and Crowne Plaza properties. However in response to guest preferences, we do stock bars of soap at Reception and please just ask should you prefer soap to shower gel. Many thanks again for taking the time to leave a review about the hotel.
KInd Regards

Liverpool
Reviewed 27 July 2009

Everything about this place was superb. Reception very welcoming,Room larger than average and very very clean.Bar very comfortable and reasonably priced.Breakfast buffet excellent in every way.Excellent location only 5 minute stroll from Waverley Station.Best of all were the staff , everyone of them pleasant and polite at all times.Thank You , will deffo be coming back.

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to go on-line and leave a review about you stay at Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre. Our management team welcome all guest feedback and I always review all guest comments. I was really glad to hear that the Reception, lounge bar, breakfast area and bedroom all exceeded your expectations. As you said, the hotel has an excellent location and is really handy for Princes Street and Edinburgh Waverley Railway Station. I have passed your comments on to all of the team and I look forward to seeing you at the hotel the next time that you come to Edinburgh.
Kind Regards
Angus, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2009

Before arriving at The Holiday Inn Express, Edinburgh, I already had an idea of what to expect. On entering the reception area I was pleasantly surprised, yes it was quite small but, it was relatively modern and well presented. We were met by efficient staff who were helpful and attentive, answering any questions that I had.

We were given a family room (no 103) which was adequate for our overnight stay. The room and bathroom were clean and tidy, the only small issue I had was that it got a bit warm through the night (it is summer), however there was an oscillating fan which helped.

A continental breakfast was included in the price which had the usual cereal, croissants, toast, hot and cold drinks and other items. The dining and food area was modern and clean.

I have only one small issue which is with the parking, nine spaces for a hotel of this size is inadequate, to soften the blow guests are given a 20% discount if the NCP car park is used in the Omni centre, however this is still allot more expensive.

This was the cheapest/best situated hotel for two adults and one child for an overnight stay in the centre of Edinburgh on a budget, I would recommend this hotel for budget travellers and I would stay again myself.

Always remember that it is a Holiday Inn Express, but it was value for money in expensive Edinburgh.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay at Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre. I was glad to read that you were plesantly surprised by the hotel, staff and facilities. As the hotel is located in the middle of Edinburgh City Centre, only a limited hotel car park is provided and this is clearly shown on our hotel web-site along with alternative arrangements at NCP Greenside Row / Omni Centre. Many thanks for the comments about our prices and I was happy to read that you found that the hotel offered good value for money. I hope to see you again at the hotel on the next time that you visit Edinburgh.
Best Wishes
Picardy Place Edinburgh
(Opposite Edinburgh Playhouse Theatre)
Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed 7 July 2009

We spent a weekend at the Holiday Inn Express and enjoyed it very much. The location is excellent, 5 minutes from Waverly Station, with light baggage you can easily walk it. Plenty of bars and restaurants around. Ask the front desk about restaurant recommendations, we followed their advice and had outstanding dinners, close from the hotel. We had a room on the rear side, towards the parking. It was relatively quiet, we could hear some music from somewhere, but it was not bad. The room itself was all fine, we had a family room with double bed (very comfortable) and a sofa, which could be transformed into another double bed. Bathroom was very modern, Kettle for tea/coffee, fan (no air-con).

The staff was very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was excellent, a nice buffet, which is open till 10h30 on the weekend and till 9h30 on weekdays. On Monday morning between 9 and 9.30 it was very crowded. My suggestion, to ease the situation, would be to keep the buffet open till 10h30 daily, or at least till 10, so the guests would not come all at the same time.

The hotel would definitely be my first choice for a future stay in lovely Edinburgh.

Thank luke.traveller
Dear Tripadvisor Member
Thank you for the great comments about our location and facilities here at Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh City Centre. The management team make every effort to read and review all feedback left on Tripadvisor as this helps us to improve our guest service. I hope to see you again at the hotel on a future visit to Edinburgh.
Best Wishes