“A bit of a disappointment!”

Ibis Edinburgh Centre South Bridge
Ranked #65 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Diane & I booked here after reading great reviews on Tripadvisor and following a very nice stay at the Carlisle Ibis last year. We travelled by train into Waverley and were immediately thwarted by directions to the hotel - after half an hour or so we eventually found the Ibis Royal Mile where Staff kindly directed us round the corner to South Bridge (problem is that it's on an elevated roadway and not clear on 2D maps! Our return to the station took about 10 minutes on foot, easy when you know the way!). We entered a Reception jam-packed with a bus-load of American tourists and it was a little disconcerting (and perhaps a taste of things to come?) to reflect that perhaps their - presumably planned - arrival should have better organised in advance. We checked in without issue and were impressed by the premises and facilities on our way to our room (768) which appeared on the face of it (see later!) to be clean and well stocked. After unpacking we decided to explore and found Receptionist Calum to be a mine of local information - well supported by leaflets etc - and worthy of a mention for his excellent Customer Service skills. Unfortunately, things were rather downhill from there! Upon retiring we found the bed contained biscuit crumbs and were distracted by noise (of the a/c unit?). We rose the following day and enjoyed the sights and sounds of the City. On our return we found the Coffe m/c in Reception to be inoperable: no cups and full drip trays! The guy on duty (unfortunately not Calum!) just shrugged and didn't attempt to put things right! In our room, towels & cups hadn't been changed and the bed was unmade - not a major problem but given the cost of the room I'd have expected this.

Quetionable value for money, methinks!

1  Thank Bruce H
Ioannis K, Manager at Ibis Edinburgh Centre South Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Thank you for your review Btuce47!

Your feedbacks are the greatest measure of quality to my team and myself, and I would like to confirm you we are taking everything very seriously in order to improve our services. Callum certainly is an asset to our team, and his customer service has proven to exceed our guest's needs. I will make sure to pass him on your kind words, and I am sure he will be delighted to hear he made your stay even more enjoyable. I will also report your comments to my housekeeping team, and I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused. It does not reflect our standards and I will make sure it will not happen again. Finally, our Ibis has the privilege to offer complimentary Nespresso coffee to our guests (the only Ibis within the United Kingdom) which I hope you appreciated the gesture. Having said that, I will make sure my team always look after the station so everyone can enjoy the service provided. Thank you again for sharing your feedbacks, and we hope to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon!

There are newer reviews for Ibis Edinburgh Centre South Bridge

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank Barbara T
Ioannis K, Manager at Ibis Edinburgh Centre South Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Stayed in a twin room with my mother. Can't fault anything about the hotel. Staff friendly, professional and helpful. Rooms clean and warm, beds comfortable, bathroom spacious and tea and coffee available. Great location as near the Royal Mile, everything within minutes walk but far enough away from the bars/pubs to miss kick out time.
Breakfast great choice and nice food, evening bar service again lovely staff and plenty of space to sit down.
Our room was especially quiet as we didn't have neighbours 801 if you're a light sleeper.
All in all great value for money, I am going to return to here on my next visit. My only suggestion would be a wider choice of teas in the room, maybe some herbal ...?

Room Tip: 801 does not have neighbours, lovely and quiet
1  Thank cazrss

Thank you for your review Cazrss! I am glad to hear you have had a hassle-free stay at our brand new property, and would like to thank you to share your feedbacks which I am sure will help future travellers in their decision. We hope to welcoming you again very soon!

Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Im firstly going to say that we was both impressed with the cleanliness of the hotel and the friendliness of all staff the bed was comfortable and pillows to. the wc shower room was a bit strange but again functional.
My main complaint is the noise from the club/bar from street behind on all 3 nights we stayed only got 3 hrs sleep I ended up buying ear plugs but still no sleep each night music went on until 3.30 am
If you do stay here ask for room at front of hotel or one with no windows.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Peter H
Ioannis K, Manager at Ibis Edinburgh Centre South Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Dear Peter H,

Thank you for taking the time in sharing your experience with us. I will definitely pass on your feedbacks to both of my Front of house team & Housekeeping team. I am also sorry to hear you have faced an uncomfortable stay due to external noises, which I would like to inform you we are taking the appropriate measure based from your review to reduce any other disturbance. Thank you again for your help, and we all hope to welcoming you back again in the nearer future.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank airforce872
Ioannis K, Manager at Ibis Edinburgh Centre South Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Have just returned from a one night stay in this new hotel, it's very contemporary with high levels of cleanliness. Centrally located, 10 min walk from train station and only 5 mins away from the Festival theatre. I didn't book breakfast at the time of making the booking but we were offered the option on checking in. Breakfast had a good choice of cooked or continental options. Plenty of staff on hand replenishing items as needed.
We booked a twin room which was perfectly adequate for our requirements and had tea/coffee making facilities if we needed them. The only gripe we had was that there wasn't any sockets near the bed for plugging mobile devices into to listen to music in bed. There was a flat screen tv on the wall opposite the beds for those wanting to watch tv.
There was an ensuite wet room that suited us perfectly.
All in all would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a reasonably priced clean friendly hotel in Edinburgh!

Room Tip: We were on 6th floor out of 9 and didn't find any problems
2  Thank J0J0P

Dear J0J0P,

Many thanks for your positive review! I am glad to hear you have enjoyed your stay at our brand new Ibis Hotel, which we proudly opened 3 months ago. We hope to seeing you back very soon!

Reviewed 14 April 2014

The Ibis South Bridge is an excellent clean & comfortable hotel in a great location - 3 minute walk to the Royal Mile & 10 minute walk to the castle :-) The bar is comfortable and freindly with plenty of room - we did not eat there so can not comment on the food but it is very clean and modern.

2  Thank DebsGregan
Ioannis K, Manager at Ibis Edinburgh Centre South Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Thank you for your great review Debs! I am glad to see you have spent a good time while with us. Our restaurant "Fogg's" offers a great variety of international food from all over the world to meet everybody's taste which we hope you will try on a future occasion. We hope to seeing you back very soon!