“Nice central location and inexpensive compared to similar alternatives”

Ibis Edinburgh Centre South Bridge
Ranked #68 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersSilver level
Oslo, Norway
“Nice central location and inexpensive compared to similar alternatives”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I did quite a bit of research before booking a hotel for our Edinburgh trip. We finally chose the Ibis South Bridge due to the central location and the fact that we got the room for £110 pounds a night, which was relatively inexpensive compared to other centrally located hotels with a decent standard. In the end, we did not regret our choice.

We were greeted by a friendly woman at the reception when we arrived and was given a room on the 7th floor. The room was by no means large, but I big enough for our needs. The bathroom was good and contained a spacious shower cabinet with a nice shower in it - a relief after having had my share of tiny shower cabinets. After having read several comments here saying that the the windows could not be opened I was happy to see that this was no longer the case. We preferred to keep the window mostly shut at night, though, due to some amount of noise from outside.

Our room rate did not include breakfast, but we had breakfast at the hotel the first morning. The breakfast was decent enough, and the breakfast room was quite nice, but also quite small for such a large hotel.

We didn't have that much contact with the hotel staff, but when we did they were always smiling and helpful. The only minus was when my wife asked for a shower cap and they responded "Sorry, we don't do those". I think this is the first hotel I've visited that don't have shower caps in the bathroom. :)

I will definately consider this hotel if I'm going to Edinburgh again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PKF_12
Ioannis K, Manager at Ibis Edinburgh Centre South Bridge, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Dear PKF_12,

Thank you very much for such a great review! I am delighted to see you have enjoyed our central location, but most of all our brand new Ibis rooms and the outstanding service all of my team dedicate themselves to deliver in order to meet our customer needs. I am also taking into consideration the lack of shower caps and will make sure to source some out. Thank you again, and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Stevenage, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Three of us having one room each meant this was not the cheapest of hotels. Staff were all pleasant and polite, bar one who thought I might have made a mistake with the noises I heard at night,, and thought I had mistaken a church 150 yards away for the making of a stage beneath my room by people in an empty Club/shop preparing for the Edinburgh Festival. The manager was an efficient gentleman and the late night bar-woman efficient and pleasant. Rooms were functional and clean.
The hotel was really close to" Greyfriars' Churchyard". A short walk of about 400 yards past some empty shops and some going concerns you reach The Royal Mile. The supermarket is Tescos and is less than 100 yards away across the the main road.

Room Tip: Lower floors i.e. 6 and 7 near the corner of the main road may have units unconnected with the hotel...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Ioannis K, Manager at Ibis Edinburgh Centre South Bridge, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Nick N,

I am glad to see you enjoyed the accommodation offered along with our great central location, which is definitely an asset especially during this festive time of the year. We look forward to another opportunity to host you at our property again, as my team and myself would be delighted to look after your well-being once again. Thank you!
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Being brand new the place is clean and very modern but the location is what makes it. Just a short walk (quite a steep hill, mind) to Waverley station and the city centre. There is a supermarket right next door and a London 2012 gold postbox for Sir Chris Hoy within 2 minutes - what more could you want?! Very helpful staff, excellent air conditioning and a great choice at breakfast. The hotel is nothing fancy and was quite expensive due to the festival and Commonwealth Games but I'd definitely stay again. Also recommend Laila's bistro just down the road.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank rf20132013
Thank you very much for such a good review rf20132013!

My team and I are pleased to see you were satisfied with our brand new hotel, and especially with its very central location and our team who try to make a difference in their every day customer service. We hope to welcoming you back again very soon! Many thansk
Scotland
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Our booking was transferred to this hotel by Ibis and I'm pleased to say we had a very pleasant stay. In transit as usual, we don't normally choose city centre hotels and this hotel proved to be very good.

Staff were friendly and helpful and, although there was a steady stream of arriving and departing guests at reception, I never saw a queue. Coffee is available for guests in reception although I preferred to get refreshments from the restaurant/bar.

Onsite restaurant food is very good and affordable. Service was good and provided these little extras like water, olives and bread without asking. Breakfast was busy but it was easy to access the breakfast buffet without any queues.

Bedrooms are exceptionally clean and of the modern standard that we see in Ibis Hotels.

Just along the road from the National Museum of Scotland- well worth visiting. Within walking distance of the railway station but not if you have luggage. Shops and cafes nearby, great for getting those little items you forget or a morning newspaper.

There was noisy work going on in or near the building but it stopped promptly to allow guests to sleep.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Ioannis K, Manager at Ibis Edinburgh Centre South Bridge, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Thank you very much for such a wonderful review gaeltraveller!

I am glad to see you enjoyed the accommodation offered along with our Fogg's restaurant, which offers a variety of meals from all around the world. We look forward to another opportunity to host you at our property again, as my team and myself would be delighted to look after your well-being once again. Thank you!
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Standard Ibis hotel, this one is new. Location is fantastic, short walk to just about everywhere. Breakfast was good as well as the service from the staff. Will stay here again when visiting Edinburgh.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Ioannis K, Manager at Ibis Edinburgh Centre South Bridge, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Thank you for your review Greame B!

The team and I are glad to hear you have enjoyed your overnight with us, but most importantly our location and customer service provided made your stay even more special. Our team contribute on a daily basis in meeting each of our customer needs which they take pride and pleasure to deliver. Thank you again, and we hope to seeing you back very soon!
Mill Creek, Washington
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Ibis South Bridge is a brand new (opened January, 2014) hotel in the very heat of Edinburgh, about 2 block off the Royal Mile. We've stayed in many Ibis hotels around Europe, but this one is exceptional. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. The rooms, lobby restaurant, etc. are modern and spotless. For it's location, the prices are very reasonable. Ibis is usually considered a "budget" hotel, but this one feels more upscale.

Room Tip: This is a very quiet, well located hotel, so all of the rooms should be acceptable.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Buzzn,

Thank you very much for such an amazing review! This is with great pleasure I am reading that you have enjoyed your stay with us, and most importantly enjoyed our brand new Ibis product in the heart of our Scottish Capital. I will also pass on your kind words to my team, and I am sure it will re-inforce their passion in delivering great service. We hope to seeing you back very soon! Thank you again.