“Clean and Cheerful”

Ranked #68 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Ioannis K, Manager at Ibis Edinburgh Centre South Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Write a ReviewReviews (2,438)

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Location
- convenient located next to Sainbury (a grocery store) and Piemaker (a famous local restarant)
- 10 minute walk from the center of Royal mile
Facilities
- small bed (as wide as a pillow); however, it is very comfortable
- The room is on a different connecting building. So it makes getting in and out of the room quite a long walk. But I and my wife got used to it after the first few days.

Suggestion
- There should be a microwave in a room or in the shared laundry room.
- I can not plug in my laptop since there is no universal adaptor. Can't borrow one from the counter

Will I return to this hotel?

Review collected in partnership with Ibis Hotels

Thank you very much for your great review Sira S!

My team and I are pleased to see you have enjoyed our very central location, but most of all our "Sweet Beds" by Ibis which have proven to be a successful launch worldwide. We hope to seeing you back again very soon!

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Ioannis K, Manager at Ibis Edinburgh Centre South Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Reviewed 18 August 2014

We stayed in an IBIS hotel before so the rooms are mostly all alike in what to expect. What was disturbing here is that we asked for a quiet room and we ended up just above the local supermarket & on the side of South Street - but as they were fully booked, there was no possibility to change rooms. Unfortunately, even with the double glaze windows, we had a lot of street noise and also VERY early in the morning, the shop noise of moving foodcarts woke us up by 5am - 6am. The breakfast was in a big bright room and it was just great with lots of choices and very accomodating staff who made sure every table was cleared asap. The location is great, 5mins from the castle, 10mins to the bus (direct connection with the airport) & train station, as well as the nice restaurants & shopping streets. Like I said above, only the room location was dissapointed.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms on the South Bridge street side.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Mieketing,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. I am glad to hear you have found our very central location convenient, but also truly sorry your quality of sleep got disturbed with outside noises. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies, and we hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the ibis Edinburgh Centre South Bridge and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Lovely basic hotel, friendly helpful staff, great location but do not stay in room 327. Arrived at dinner time and dropped our bag in the room and the noise from above was pretty bad sounded like someone dragging furniture around but went out and didn't think any more about it. When we came back late that night it was still going on and sounded like someone was having a shower in our room, hurendous we kept thinking it will stop in a minute not wanting to complain. At 1.30am enough I went to reception he was very nice he had no answers but would try and move us. The duty manager came he was also very nice and got us another room by now it's 2am so tired from all the walking (not a young couple) but could not get to sleep. So overall this spoilt our stay in Edinburgh as we have come back home very tired after 2 very long days instead of being relaxed. Not even a complimentary breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2014

Dear 123gottogo,

Thank you very much for your latest review! I am sorry to hear your stay was disturbed with unexpected noises, which I would like to confirm to you I am currently investigating the internal reasons in order to minimise the discomfort. I am hovewer re-ensured and please to see my 24/7 team attended your request and provided you with a swift room room. We hope you will give us another chance to welcoming you back again for a hassle-free stay. Thank you again

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Can't fault the excellent sevice, comfortable rooms, central location and value for money. Unfortunately we had no sleep at all in rooms 435 and 441 for the first two nights due to the unberaable noise of a nearby club open till 5am. We understand that this nightclub only runs during the Edinburgh Festival (August) and we were moved as soon as the hotel were able. . I advise you not to accept a room overlooking the C Venue building.

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Ioannis K, Manager at Ibis Edinburgh Centre South Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Dear mdevon,

Thank you for your latest review about our Ibis hotel. Firstly, I am sorry to hear the comfort of your stay was disturbed with the local but temporary festival activities. However I am relieved to see my team responded & aknowledged quickly to your request and moved you to a more comfortable bedroom. All of our guest service agents are constantly looking after our customer's well-being and I hope the rest of your stay was hassle-free. We hope to seeing you soon once again at our hotel!

Reviewed 15 August 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights during the Festival Fringe. The location is great, easy walking distance to most of the Fringe venues, and just around the corner from the Royal Mile.

I initially booked for 2 nights, then needed to add another night, and although their system wouldn't allow an ammendment to my original booking (prepaid advance booking), the reservations staff were able to link my 2 separate reservations to ensure we wouldn't need to change rooms. I also contacted the hotel before our stay to check the availability of iron/ironing board, and although the rooms don't have them, there is an ironing room on most floors, which was very handy (and they responded to my email to inform me very quickly).

Check-in was simple, and although breakfast wasn't included in our rate, it was offered to us at the same rate (£7.95 per person), which we booked for our first morning only. The breaksfast was good - buffet style - hot & cold, including bacon, eggs, sausages etc., plus a selection of cold meats/cheese, plus fruit/yoghurt and pastries. There's also 2 coffee machines to make and a juice 'dispenser', along with normal sized glasses (my pet hate in hotel breakfasts is the thimble sized glasses for juice).

We decided to have breakfast on the last morning, and we were able to just walk up, and have it added to the bill (same price).

The room was modern (the hotel only opened earlier this year), quite small, but has a place to hang clothes, a few shelves somewhere to sit & free wifi. The bathroom, although functional, is a bit odd, but spotlessly clean. There is a gap (about an inch) under the bathroom door though, so if you don't know your travelling partner well before your stay, you certainly will after!

Our towels were changed each day - they were hung on the hooks though, rather than being folded (but they were definitely clean towels).

Our room faced onto South Bridge, but we had no issues with noise (possibly due to the double glazing - and be careful, the panes of glass are about a foot apart, and when I first tried to look through the window, managed to headbutt the glass!).

We left our cases with reception for a few hours after we checked out, and we weren't charged for this.

If we come back to Edinburgh, I'd definitley not hesitate to stay here again.

1  Thank tigga23

Dear FNT35,

All my team and I always appreciate such a great review! Our location definitely is a major advantage, and I am glad you have enjoyed our all-you-can-eat full Scottish breakfast offer at our Fogg's restaurant. We hope to seeing you back in our beautiful Scottish capital very soon!