“Perfect for a short break!!”
Review of The Ocean Inn

The Ocean Inn
The Ocean Inn
Ranked #307 of 392 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Campbeltown, United Kingdom
“Perfect for a short break!!”
Reviewed 21 December 2013

We thorougly enjoyed our short stay in the Ocean Inn. Rooms are small but cosy. Room and bathroom were really clean!! The owner was nice and friendly and made us feel welcome. Enjoyed the breakfast too. The Ocean inn is really close to city centre. Would recommend to people looking for a value for money stay... Perfect location with clean rooms and friendly satff!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lizlvz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Spalding, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I booked for three nights from last friday, upon arrival was greeted by a rather scruffy unkempt man, who did not introduce himself properly, and informed me he was looking after "the place" for the owner, i was duelly shown to my room, which altohugh was clean and tidy...was cold due to the heating not being on, i was ouf with friends friday evening and upon returing to the b&b it was still cold & the room was very uncomfortable, no one about at that time of day, so it was raised with someone who appered to be the owner at breakfast saturday morning, i say appered as he did not introduce himself either....after breakfast upon returning to my room the radiator was getting warm ??? the said owner later informed me that this rad was on a different circuit to the rest and he did not realise !!!...this continued throughout the weekend, the room was thoughrley cold ! i think the owner is of the opinion the heating only needs to be on when he is on the premises....so please be aware before you book !

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
veggiesam80, Manager at The Ocean Inn, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Dear Paul.

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay firstly a very sincere apology for the issues you suffered. I was advised that there were no problems with heating system itself, it looks like previous guests shut off valve at side of radiator which meant you were unable to turn on heaters we didn't receive any other heating complaints were fully booked over the weekend. The system is on a timer basis they come on throughout the day for a few hours and are then on from 9pm until 8am continuous. In every room there are black information folders they contain all details about the bed & breakfast and what to do if your experience a problem i.e call us or knock on lower level door to access staff after hours.
We reflect value for money as we are a small bed & breakfast offering low priced accommodation for a high quality room. I'm pleased you noticed cleanliness of the property as we pride ourselves in offering clean functional rooms.
We try an informal approach at the bed & breakfast don't address ourselves as the boss ect we would like our guests to feel comfortable and be able to approach us in any situation without worrying about our title however if you asked to speak to the manager this would have been availed to you.

Again my sincere apologies and I hope your time with your friends was a memorable time In Edinburgh.

Sona
Management @ The Ocean Inn

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

The bedroom and bathroom were spotless and it was much appreciated even if they were quite small. We could feel a very warm welcome from the staff and we loved the Scottish biscuits left on the table! We easily walked to the city centre and back, perfect location for a long weekend stay in Edinburgh!

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Ayr, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 November 2013

We arrived early but were immediately let in and taken up to our room. Room was a bit small but more importantly nice, clean and neat.
Breakfast was a hearty cooked breakfast and was served by the owner who was polite and very attentive to listen to our comments. As previously mentioned the area is well served by regular cheap buses, parking was on the street locally.
This was very, very, good value and we will be using this guesthouse again when we are back in Edinburgh.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I stayed here for a weekend whilst visiting friends for a naming ceremony. The staff were polite and the manager was extremely helpful and accommodating as I arrived very early and offered me hot drink and let me sit comfortably as I waited for my room to be cleaned also allowing an earlier check in. It's a small clean guest house with a friendly atmosphere. Rooms are very comfy upstairs and well finished with modern decor. Room was cold but once I turntable the radiator up it warned up quickly. The spoons and cups in the room were dirty but I do believe it was assumed by the cleaner that they were not used as the previous guest had clearly wiped them clean but obviously were not actually cleaned. That was the only fault I can personally give during my stay. Breakfast was warm fresh and efficient and well cooked a nice standard Scottish breakfast and my son had continental (cereal, coissant and banana) tea and orange juice included. Would definitely book again as it was simply for a place to rest my head but I felt quite at home here. Maybe not ideal if you want to be in the hustle and bustle as I have stayed at some of the more prestige hotels in Edinburgh 5* which is an enjoyable experience but this was perfectly suited and affordable for a short visit to my friends.

Room Tip: Ask for the room with suite however if you have chooses shared bathroom ask for room 1 or 3 as the b...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2013

This is just a small bed and breakfast establishment. Rooms are en suite and clean. A bargain at £40 per night single which includes a hearty Scottish breakfast. The staff are very polite and accommodating. The guest house is situated a 10 minute walk from Ocean Terminal and the "Brittania" in Leith. There is a very good bus service 50 metres from the establishment which will take you to the centre of Edinburgh in 10 - 15 minutes. I know if/when I return to Edinburgh this will be my choice of accommodation.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Wales
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We stayed at The Ocean from 14th-18th October, and were delighted! The B&B is warm and welcoming and the staff very helpful and pleasant. It is true they are a new business, but they are doing all they can to provide a satisfying environment, I can see numerous changes and improvements since their earlier photos. The Ocean is great value for money, and we will certainly stay here again as we visit Edinburgh a couple of times a year. We have stayed in the higher end of 4* hotels in the city and as far as value for money goes, The Ocean wins hands down! One of these hotels had a note in the room saying "if you require heating please ring Reception" !!!! In Scotland, in December!!! The Ocean was warm and welcoming, it was a joy to come back to after a day out! We wish you all the best for your business, you deserve to succeed!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
veggiesam80, Owner at The Ocean Inn, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind words it has been greatly appreciated, I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay at The Ocean B&B. Our friendly chats at breakfast will be remembered we hope to see you in the near future.

Sona @ The Ocean Inn Edinburgh