“Flexible in some ways, but not all!”
Review of The Ocean Inn

The Ocean Inn
The Ocean Inn
Ranked #311 of 392 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Selkirk, United Kingdom
“Flexible in some ways, but not all!”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I originally booked the break but had to rearrange due to a family bereavement. With no refund possible the owners were good enough to allow me to transfer the booking to another night rather than lose my money completely.

The room was clean and although small, my son and I had a restful nights stay.

Despite no mention on the website we were disappointed to find the rigidity of their breakfast serving times (8am to 9.30am). As we had to be somewhere for 8.30 this serving time was too late, and when we asked if we could perhaps have a breakfast option slightly earlier (by only 15 minutes!) the answer was a flat no! Be warned, if you are a business traveller or have an early morning commitment this place might not be for you. I'm sure it would be fine if you like a long lie!.....

Appreciated the flexibility shown in the first instance, but not regarding breakfast. I have stayed in Edinburgh hotels for 40+ days this last year, but sorry to say I won't be back here. In life it's the small things that make a difference, a little extra effort here would have given a better impression.

I appreciate at £55 per night for the two of us it was pretty cheap, but hopefully this feedback will give you a chance to improve your offering.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
veggiesam80, Manager at The Ocean Inn, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Dear Ian

I'm disappointed with your comments as I tried my best to accommodate your needs at our loss.
Cancelling day before arrival would have meant complete loss of your booking through agents.
I still offered you accommodation at no extra charge for a different date and a different room. You originally booked a double then asked for a twin which is more expensive but still did not charge you any extra understanding your difficulties with your circumstances.

We run a strict timetable as this allows us to keep our staff timings accurate. I did state you may come for 8am sharp for continental option as our cooked service is made to order not pre cooked which could have delayed you. You did not take us up on this offer.

We now understand why online agents advise a straight cancellation to be strict regardless of circumstances as even bending over to accommodate your needs at NO extra charge you were still disappointed.

Samantha

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Newcastle, UK
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I booked a night here on the strength of the reviews. It sounded like a bit of a gem. It wasn’t.

Check-in was fine, and the manager very friendly. The room was a bit tatty and smelled of damp, but I was willing to forgive that based on the price - £35 including breakfast. I was even able to ignore the couple having noisy sex in the room next door(!) - hardly the fault of the owner.

It was in the morning that things really went downhill. The shower in my room (#5) was a pitiful dribble, and the towels must have been bought during the great towel shortage of 1946. Absolutely tiny! More of a flannel than towel.

I tried to make a cup of tea in the kettle, but it had something unpleasant growing in it, so I thought the better of that.

Then I went down to breakfast, only to find the door to the breakfast room locked. A different man was there collecting keys and simply said ‘sorry there’s no breakfast this morning’ No explanation or alternative option. No real apology either.

I shall be seeking a refund, and I wouldn’t recommend a stay here. Clearly not enough attention is paid to the place.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
veggiesam80, Manager at The Ocean Inn, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Dear Richard

Firstly we would apologise for any inconvenience suffered whilst staying with.

Your comments on shabby room was harsh as you have not elaborated on what was shabby about the room therefore making it hard to comment on the bb opened only last year all rooms are newly furnished and decorated with plasma tv and great hospitality tray. I've investigated your comments on so called growth in kettle not to be seen....

The towels in single room 1 bath 1 hand 1 face cloth. Theses are of standard size bath and hand face towels used in industry again all very new. Again hard to comment on the size reference as they are standard sizes not small.

As for breakfast you personally told me on Saturday when you checked in that you will not be having breakfast and would be leaving early we were fully booked our guests being marathon attendees breakfast was being recorded for times you requested no breakfast how can you accuse of not getting your breakfast. This is a very dishonest review please feel to personally contact me to discuss further.

As good as Trip Advisor is it can be very detrimental to a business if false information is left I would strongly recommend you contact me to discuss your concerns further.

Sona
Management @ The Ocean Inn

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

the room was tiny but nice; however, some people (I assume staff members) turned on some music in the communal room after midnight and started to walk about and talk really loudly. I asked them to turn down the music which they did but it was still audible plus they continued to make a lot of noise till ca 1am. Same thing happened at 7 am when breakfast was being prepared in the kitchen. Given the location of my room, it's not surprising that I could hear every little thing. So I'm more wondering why they'd let people stay in that room. Definitely not very hospitable

Stayed March 2014
Amble, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Booked this last minute for a stay at Christmas and have to say we were not disappointed. The owner was lovely and very welcoming to us. The rooms were nice and clean. The bathroom was small but clean. Breakfast was lovely and included in the price. Great for somewhere to stay to see the sights as the bus stop is just across and takes you to Princes Street or the Royal Mile. You only pay a one off charge and can use it all day and then there is a night bus so even though its in Leith its great as just jump on the bus. I Leith its near Ocean Terminal and the Royal Britannia. There is a cinema and eating places in Ocean Terminal so best of both worlds. My partner forgot to hand the key in on check out but we rang the owner and asked if we could mail it back first thing next morning and he got back to us and said this was no problem. Great for a short break. I had a experience recently with a 5 star rated B n B and I have to say was treated very poorly compared to the welcoming we received by the Ocean Inn. Sometines star ratings are not always a true reflection.

Room Tip: Check the bus numbers before leaving as we had a little trouble finding it but once you know its eas...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Campbeltown, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 December 2013

We thorougly enjoyed our short stay in the Ocean Inn. Rooms are small but cosy. Room and bathroom were really clean!! The owner was nice and friendly and made us feel welcome. Enjoyed the breakfast too. The Ocean inn is really close to city centre. Would recommend to people looking for a value for money stay... Perfect location with clean rooms and friendly satff!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lizlvz
Spalding, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I booked for three nights from last friday, upon arrival was greeted by a rather scruffy unkempt man, who did not introduce himself properly, and informed me he was looking after "the place" for the owner, i was duelly shown to my room, which altohugh was clean and tidy...was cold due to the heating not being on, i was ouf with friends friday evening and upon returing to the b&b it was still cold & the room was very uncomfortable, no one about at that time of day, so it was raised with someone who appered to be the owner at breakfast saturday morning, i say appered as he did not introduce himself either....after breakfast upon returning to my room the radiator was getting warm ??? the said owner later informed me that this rad was on a different circuit to the rest and he did not realise !!!...this continued throughout the weekend, the room was thoughrley cold ! i think the owner is of the opinion the heating only needs to be on when he is on the premises....so please be aware before you book !

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
veggiesam80, Manager at The Ocean Inn, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Dear Paul.

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay firstly a very sincere apology for the issues you suffered. I was advised that there were no problems with heating system itself, it looks like previous guests shut off valve at side of radiator which meant you were unable to turn on heaters we didn't receive any other heating complaints were fully booked over the weekend. The system is on a timer basis they come on throughout the day for a few hours and are then on from 9pm until 8am continuous. In every room there are black information folders they contain all details about the bed & breakfast and what to do if your experience a problem i.e call us or knock on lower level door to access staff after hours.
We reflect value for money as we are a small bed & breakfast offering low priced accommodation for a high quality room. I'm pleased you noticed cleanliness of the property as we pride ourselves in offering clean functional rooms.
We try an informal approach at the bed & breakfast don't address ourselves as the boss ect we would like our guests to feel comfortable and be able to approach us in any situation without worrying about our title however if you asked to speak to the manager this would have been availed to you.

Again my sincere apologies and I hope your time with your friends was a memorable time In Edinburgh.

Sona
Management @ The Ocean Inn
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

The bedroom and bathroom were spotless and it was much appreciated even if they were quite small. We could feel a very warm welcome from the staff and we loved the Scottish biscuits left on the table! We easily walked to the city centre and back, perfect location for a long weekend stay in Edinburgh!

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends