“I recommend it!”
Review of Fraoch House

Fraoch House
Ranked #9 of 393 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Upon arrival we were welcomed with tea and cookies. Lovely clean room, excellent choise of food for breakfast and homey atmosphere. Bus (n°11) for Princes street just in front of the house. If you like walking, Fraoch house is situated just 25 minutes from Princes street. Gareth is a great host. I highly recommend it!

There are newer reviews for Fraoch House

Reviewed 15 August 2013

We arrived to Fraoch House via cab, but that is because we were not familiar with the bus system, which is very good in Edinburgh (the number 11 stops right outside). We were greeted very warmly by Garreth upon arrival and he took our bags up to our room, while we had tea and coffee, which after all the travel was very much appreciated. He was extremely informative about how to get around in Edinburgh and thanks to his advice and the maps he provided we did adequately well. We stayed on the third floor, which was fine for us, but if you have problems getting around, get a room on one of lower levels. I really appreciate it when someone goes above and beyond, but I appreciate it even more when going above and beyond is the norm and that is how it feels at Froach House. The room we stayed in was not overly spacious, but more than adequate (and I feel it might be big for an Edinburgh B&B). Also, it had a private bathroom with a shower only. The bed was very comfortable, which allowed for a fantastic rest followed by a delicious breakfast. I feel that with all the walking and site seeing we did in Edinburgh, I would not have made it with the normal hotel amenities. Perhaps the best way to describe my stay at Froach House is the feeling of gratitude I feel towards them.

Reviewed 13 August 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights in early August. It is such a great alternative to staying at a standard hotel. Easy to find, great location, wonderful (huge) breakfast, immaculately clean, large rooms, on the bus line, and easily walkable to many locations are just a few of the reasons to stay here. Gareth and Kat are very personable, giving tons of information and advice about everything and anything to all who asked questions. I would return and stay here again in a minute.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2013

How many ways can I say that we loved this place. Stayed here for three nights for the Tattoo which was excellent.
The day before arrival Gareth emailed me to get an approx arrival time. Following my reply I got an email reply with map directions for driving from Manchester where we were.
When we arrived Gareth was there to greet us with a great pot of brewed coffee and shortbread biscuits. Perfect for recovery after a drive. Whilst we drank, he explained the local lay of the land including sites, bus services, restaurants etc.
The room was smallish but then again I'm a big lad. it was well appointed with a superb bathroom with a great shower. Nice comfortable bed for a good sleep. Great choice of breakfast including a veggie option. He makes great porridge.
It's a bit of a walk uphill to the Old Town and the Castle area but there is a bus stop right outside if you need it. Get the £3.50 day rover (exact change needed).
Wouldn't hesitate to return even though my knees didn't enjoy the 2nd flight of stairs. Ha ha.
Gareth, you're a champ.

Reviewed 28 July 2013

A very elegant place, the room was quite big, the bed was comfortable, and the shower was great. The breakfasts were terrific. It's about a mile walk to Princes Street, which was fine with us but if you're not a walker keep that in mind.

Reviewed 26 July 2013

Gareth is the friendliest host, with great advice about places to see. He and his team make sure your stay is thoroughly enjoyable. Fraoch's House location is really great, in Leith, 15 minute walk to the tourist attractions in Edinburgh but on a really quiet street, away from all the bustle. Free parking is available right outside, on the street, a definite plus if you have a car.
The decor is lovely, each room unique, and the curtains really block all the light from the outside, which is great during the summer if you are a light sleeper like me.
Breakfast is fantastic, lots of choices (all delicious) and quite generous.
There is a computer with a printer for guest use, which I found very thoughtful.
All in all, amazing value for the price. Would definitely come back.

Room Tip: Room 7 is equipped for accesibility.
Reviewed 26 July 2013

We stayed two nights at Fraoch House in June this year and it was wonderful. Gareth is one of those excellent hosts who gives excellent succinct advice, provides you with a map, has a great sense of humour and makes you feel right at home :) We loved the sunny dining room where we enjoyed gorgeous fresh berries, yoghurt, fresh bread (still warm!), cereals and any cooked breakfast we liked prepared- eggs, waffles, pancakes etc. The room was lovely and clean and had everything we needed - complimentary chocolates are always a nice touch. This place has ample street parking and a bus stop two doors down. It is nice and close to all of the good spots in Edinburgh and walking distance to a couple of great restaurants and bars. If you are lucky enough to stay here you will love it too!

Room Tip: We were on the top floor which has a nice view out to the park, however it requires carrying cases u...