“Great B&B with excellent service.”
Review of Fraoch House

Fraoch House
Ranked #7 of 396 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I have just returned from Edinburgh where I stayed in this great little guest house. I knew before I arrived, as a result of Gareth's helpful and accommodating telephone demeanor, that the service and hospitality was going to be second to none and I was right. As soon as I arrived, he was friendly, funny and eager to accommodate. The room was a little blandly decorated but I gathered it was a relatively newly available room for disabled visitors, as I am. The television didn't work but there was a DVD player with a good selection of DVDs to choose from. Beds were comfortable and I had no problem sleeping. The wardrobe didn't have any coat hangers but that is just nit picking, it didn't matter. The bathroom was faultless and there were even complimentary toiletries supplied.
Breakfast was superb. Lots of choice and all nutritional needs were catered for. I was able to skip lunch because of the sheer volume of food.
The location was great, close to the city centre, train station and all the places of interests. Both Gareth and Kat (who took over the running of the guest house over the weekend) were happy to answer questions about the tourist hotspots in the area and give directions.
I will not stay anywhere else whenever I am in Edinburgh as long as Fraoch House is open. Thanks Gareth, Kat and Andrea. See you soon, I hope.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

After a long flight from the US we were warmly welcomed by Kat and immediately felt right at home. She showed us to our spacious and inviting room and then left us to unwind a little before venturing out. Our room was delightfully decorated and the bed was especially comfortable. The wi-fi in the room was excellent.

We had a rental car and were able to find parking on the street just a few car lengths down from the front of Fraoch. The location is superb, an easy 15-20 minute walk to Edinburgh's central area or there is a bus stop (No. 11 bus) right in front of the house that will take you down to the National Gallery area.

Breakfast is superb, with continental items (yogurt, bakery delights, cereal, juices, etc) as well as cooked to order selections. The breakfast volume is huge and was so filling we actually skipped lunch.

From the moment we arrived until we left, the hospitality we received at Fraoch House was truly remarkable. Kat was absolutely wonderful and couldn’t do enough for us. We missed meeting Gareth (he was on his honeymoon) but look forward to seeing him when we return and we definitely will.

Fraoch House was a wonderful introduction for our first trip to Scotland. It is THE place to stay when visiting Edinburgh.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 May 2014

My wife and I have just spent 3 nights in this lovely b&b. We would normally stay in a hotel,but decided to try a b&b and we got really lucky when we found this gem, from the moment we arrived until we left we were treated like family gareth could not do enough for us,when we return to Edinburgh we will stay no were else.
n,

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I found my stay at Fraoch house very comfortable especially as a lone female staying on a business trip. Gareth is a wonderful host and the accommodation is first class , clean & comfortable . Wonderful choice for breakfast so much to choose from.
Thank you Gareth hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

We stayed in Room 9 down the stairs and having a separate courtyard. This was a fabulous room modern, spotlessly clean and large in size. Kat looked after us as Gareth had a few days break before his wedding. Kat was a delight and couldn’t do enough for us. We got a quick hello from Gareth on a short visit to the Guest House and he also was a welcoming host. We instantly felt at home. This is an excellent base to stay if visiting Edinburgh. We had a car and Kat explained where to find places of interest.

While we can only comment on our room and experience, we couldn’t fault this excellent accommodation venue. The beds were very comfort, breakfast was so filling we skipped lunch and were still feeling full by dinner. Nothing was a problem and we had the most enjoyable stay in Edinburgh, made possible by such a nice accommodation venue and hosts. We will be back at Fraoch House if we are in Edinburgh again and I have already recommended it to family.

Room Tip: Loved Room 9 but it may also be very popular as often mentioned in reviews as are all the rooms said...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 May 2014

The rooms were beautiful and the place smelled like fresh flowers. Breakfast in the morning was really delicious with fresh fruit and pastries and a really great menu. My bed was amazing. You know it's a good bed when you get back home after 2 weeks and are disappointed to fall into your own bed. Gareth was super friendly and so helpful. The location is great. There's a bus stop right nearby but I chose to walk whenever I went to the Royal Mile area. It was a really nice walk. If I ever visit Edinburgh again I know where I'll be staying.

1  Thank Bexxie B
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I have visited Edinburgh often. I'm from Hillsborough in Northern Ireland. Previously I stayed in 3 star hotels which I liked (despite their expense!) The welcome I received from my host Gareth made me decide that future stays will be at Fraoch House. My room was well appointed, spotlessly clean and offered great value for money. The breakfast is cooked to order and is of excellent quality. The breakfast volume largely reduces any need for lunch (a money saver!) The house is within easy walking distance of the city's central area. If you wish to take it easy there's a bus stop seconds away from the door – a double Decker service that offers cheap, frequent and efficient public transport. I have no hesitation recommending Fraoch House as a place to stay while exploring beautiful historic friendly Edinburgh.

Room Tip: Rooms to the front of the house are closest to the road and traffic noise may annoy. It did not anno...