Hotel Ceilidh-Donia
US$207
US$201
  • Restaurant
Apex Grassmarket Hotel(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$150
US$150
US$358
US$325
  • Restaurant
Ibis Edinburgh Centre Royal Mile(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$270
  • Bar/Lounge
Fraser Suites Edinburgh(Edinburgh)
US$182
  • Restaurant
Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$163
US$152
Agoda.com
US$221
US$201
1,080 results
All reviewsarthur's seatcity centresalisbury armsholyrood parkcommonwealth poolminute bus ridea quiet residential arearoyal milesmall hoteleggs benedictgreat hoststriple roombreakfast was includedfrequent busesgreat showerfriendly hotelno lift
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 March 2011

I recently spent nine nights at the Hotel Ceilidh-Donia and I am very happy with the stay. I was happy to find that the hotel is a short 10-minute bus ride from the city center and even walkable if the weather isn't too bad.

Maxx and Annette, the proprietors, are wonderfully friendly people who treat their guests with courtesy and an attractive down-to-earthiness. My small single bed room was cozy and always clean with an en-suite bathroom and good shower. A wide range of tasty breakfasts and dinner (Mon-Thurs) are offered.

Perhaps best of all, the hotel is a good value. Especially for Americans like me who lament how little our poor dollar is worth.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
WarriorPoet55, Owner at Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2011

Annette and I have just came back from a 7 day holiday in Tenerife so we can appraise better what travellers desire when staying with us at the Hotel Ceilidh-Donia.

We agree with this traveler that costs relative to whats on offer in your choice of holiday venue is the most relative guide to a pleasurable stay in your destination of choice but must be married up with a very clean and cozy atmosphere and a great breakfast to start your day of exploration. The Single room occupied by this guest is what we call in HCD a petite en-suite room and as he says it was cozy clean and def good value.

As we are genuinely a Small Family run Hotel in Edinburgh we appreciate sites such as Tripadvisor and their reviewee's for keeping us on our toes and hope to improve its standard with our constant upgrading of Hotel Ceilidh-donia..

Maxx..Annette

Reviewed 22 March 2011

Just recently stayed for two nights.Thoroughly enjoyed all on offer at this hotel.For some it may seem a distance from the centre but there are plenty of buses that go into town.it is a good walk to say the Royal Mile but if you go via the base of Arthurs seat it is picturesque and took about 25 minutes.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
WarriorPoet55, Owner at Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2011

Its great when a Guest can appreciate that although we are not exactly City Center we do have other benifits such as this Traveler found out, the Bus stop is only 300yards away and ten minutes into town and also we are just One and a quarter Miles to the Roayal mile, The Castle, and it is the same distance if you do what they did by walking around our Extinct Volcanoe called Arthurs Seat ( Merlin, Nights of the Round Table, King Arthur ) to Holyrood House, The Scottish Parliament and Our Dynamic Earth..

Edinburgh truly is a great City and what i love best is that it feels like a Human City where most of what you need is on hand and but a short walk away..

Reviewed 6 March 2011

To be honest I almost don't want to write a good review as I'd like to keep this hotel a secret and all to myself! Booked to stay here for a night as part of a whirlwind weekend in Edinburgh with my friend for her birthday. Yes location is not central Edinburgh but this suited us as we did not want the usual hustle and bustle and noise you get from staying in town. Local bus service is fantastic and you can hop on one of the many available by taking a short stroll, 2 minutes around the corner from the hotel. Ten minutes journey time (if that) and you are on Princes Street. Perfect base for exploring.
Check in was one of the friendliest and most helpful I have ever experienced from a hotel. We loved the view over to Arthurs seat from our room, which itself was clean and nicely decorated (lovely shower!). There were lots of little touhes that showed nice attention to detail. Breakfast was superb (no rubber scrambled egg here!), lots of choice, even though I was stuffed from the night before I couldn't resist the cooked option - very tasty! I was so pleased I chose this hotel as it was fabulous and we will be returning, the only downside was (being Doggie people) we did not get to meet the lovely Golden Retrievers on our visit but it gives us a good excuse to go back again. Thanks so much for having us!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Kinkajoo
WarriorPoet55, Owner at Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2011

Wow ! this sounds like I wrote this myself, friendly reception, good bus servise, not central but no harrassles, great views of our Ancient Volcano Arthurs Seat ( King Arthur and the Round Table ) Power showers, great Breakfast and fabby food in our small Metro Restuarant , Annette and I are truly happy when we have Guest leaving our Wee Hotel and think we more than exceeded their expectations.

When Annette and I set out on this wee journey from our previous Guest House called Dunedin House, we decide to try and keep it the same atmosphere, friendly, cozy, unfussy with very clean rooms etc, powerfull showers and great Breakfasts and most of all a Home from Home, oops and Dear Guest I will make sure Keltic and Keilidh our two Beautiful Golden Retrievers will be here waiting for you on your return..

Reviewed 20 February 2011

We stayed at the Ceilidh-Donia for two nights with our two month old baby.
The owners were extremely friendly and helpful and the rooms were of a high quality with an excellent shower.
Breakfast was equally fantastic and if you plan on eating in the restaurant in the evening, I would recommend the lamb - very tasty!
This hotel gives you extremely good value for money and the owners are keen to help you find your way through Edinburgh. Several busses leave from just behind the hotel to town.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank DDC87

Annette and I are delighted that Families with young Children and Babies find our Hotel cozy and comforting when they are away from their own Homes. Annette is our Head Cook since the recession and i am the Waiter ( Think Faulty Towers on my part ) we dont offer full A la carte menus since the downturn but Annette just dreams up a small menu in the morning and prepares it for the evening, so it is great when Guest notice the fresh Lamb that she has cooked.. We hope to see this young family again..

Reviewed 10 February 2011

Had occasion to find myself in Edinburgh to visit family and friends for a few days and wanted to stay away from usual souless chain hotels. Picked Ceilidh Donia based on previous Tripadvisor comments. Sensible decision as it turned out. Excellent room although not enormous for a double but clean and comfortable with internet access. Super friendly owners happy to go the extra mile if anything required. Well worth a visit.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Gieves

We thank this Guest for finding us the Owners friendly, when you work almost 365/24/7, especially since the recession, its great that we still come across as very amialble, also its great whwen Guest notice that we dont charge for the Internet as probable a lot of other places do, Annette and I have never charge for this service in the 16 or so years it has been available..