“UK 2013” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Portsmouth,RI
“UK 2013”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2013

My family spent two nights at this B&B. It was a very nice experience. We were able to park our car for free right in front of the Inn. The room fit the three of us comfortably and the bathroom was huge. Breakfast was lovely each morning and the service was very good.

The innkeepers were very helpful and more than happy to engage in conversations on a variety of subjects!

Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
WarriorPoet55, Owner at Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, responded to this review, 22 May 2013
Dear Reviewee

Thanks for the comments, and yes some of our en-suites are on the small side but we are actively trying to alter some rooms to make our en-suites larger, time and money seem to go in hand with this task, especially in a recession.. I am delighted that you both enjoyed our Breakfast options.

Online Travel Agents like all Middle Men take a percentage of business but with a Company like Tripadvisor allowing Hotels etc. to advertise our Businesses with the www. , e-mails and direct phone numbers it certainly puts the Power back into the Travellers hands where you can make Direct contact with your chosen destination..

All Hotelier's and Guest House Owners in Edinburgh and Scotland who have Old Buildings have the same problems that all Rooms are not purpose built and Rooms are different shapes and sizes. We do not distinguish individually between our Double Room, Twin Rooms or Singles. We do not say that some rooms are De-Luxe, Superior or Executive, Indeed we do not also charge for our Rooms in this manner, we just hope that our Guests enjoy the quirkiness of our Wee Family Run Hotel.

Maxx..

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Hebrew first
Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2013

real good B&B. staff real nice, prices great. not sure about location but was perfect for me as i was heading out of town. breakfast was decent (although a little slow. bed very comfortable. rooms nice a clean. has real good and free WIFI. i've stayed there twice now and will be stayign again!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
WarriorPoet55, Owner at Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, responded to this review, 20 May 2013

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

The best of compliments is when a Guest’s wants to return many times so Many Moons of thanks for this review.

Breakfast is this Hotels and no doubt other Hotels most stressful time, with not only making Breakfast but Check out's and Check Inns and Guests needing Information for their day ahead, and of course if all Guests want to come down at the same time then I am afraid it is Impossible to have quick service for everybody, with that In mind we enjoy the daily challenge of meeting our Guests needs, we never forget that it is the Guest that is on Holybaggs..

Inverness, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2013

Stayed there last night and had very enjoyable time. Location could seem a little far out and to be honest was further from the centre than I'd realised. That said, the hotel, room and staff was very warm and welcoming.
The room was a good size, the bed large and although ensuite a little tight, more than suitable for us. Breakfast in the morning was very good with an excellent range of menu choice.
One tip from the owner was that going directly to the hotel to book will always be cheaper than booking through online web retailers as the cut they take is so large the room price has to be upped. So I for one shall remember that for future bookings. And yes, I would definitely return!

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank mactefl
Dear Reviewee

All Hotelier's and Guest House Owners in Edinburgh and Scotland who have Old Buildings have the same problems that all Rooms are not purpose built and Rooms are different shapes and sizes. We do not distinguish Individually between our Double Room, Twin Rooms or Singles. We do not say that some rooms are De-Lux, Superior or Executive, Indeed we do not also charge for our Rooms in this manner, we just hope that our Guests enjoy the quirkiness of our Wee Family Run Hotel.

Macungie, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2013

I chose the hotel Ceilidh-Donia based upon the great reviews it received on Tripadvisor, and I was NOT disappointed. Understand, I am fussy about the places I stay and have been known to walk out of hotels once I have seen my reserved room.

After making my reservation I received a welcoming email from the owners of the hotel, which included a mention of their fellow inn keepers, two Golden Retrievers. I am not a dog person. In the part of the US in which I live, too often, dogs are poorly trained, ill behaved and intrusive, and the thought of a hotel with dogs was not something I relished.

Those two beasts were the most beautiful, well-behaved creatures, and they only added to a wonderful experience at this small hotel. So, if you are a dog lover, you will be thrilled, and if you are not, you will be so very pleasantly surprised!

I met my daughter (lives in France) in Edinburgh. My flight arrived at 10:30 AM local time, and after customs, etc. I arrived around noon. Prior to my arrival, the owner graciously accommodated my request to leave my bags even if my room was not ready so that I could begin my exploration of the city, even though my daughter would not arrive until 7 PM. To my delight, when I checked in, our room was already available, which was great as I really needed to do some personal "Maintenance" prior to going out.

I cannot recall what our room number was, but it was at the top of the steps on the top floor. Beautiful, newly remodeled bathroom, comfy beds and a big triple-paned window set into a slanting roof with a terrific view of Arthur's seat.

When it came time to find places for dinner, the owners gave outstanding recommendations (Reverie, Salisbury Arms), responded to internet connection issues immediately and called fro transportation as we needed it.

On top of all this, each morning we enjoyed great breakfasts! My daughter and I hope to return soon.

Elizabeth (and Christina)

Room Tip: Ask for the room at the top of the stairs on the top floor - great view, really nice en suite bathro...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Elizabeth M
Dear Guest

Thank you for your Sparkling review of The Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, and I am doubly glad that you did not walk away and very happy that you appreciated our pre-arrival e-mail which has Maps and other Information, we like to try and give our Guests a good Idea of our Location and Proximity to the City Center and all the Restaurants/Pubs and amenities close by.

Aha someone at last that does not mind climbing the stairs to the 2nd Floor and glad you were rewarded with a great View of our Local Volcano, I believe that Edinburgh is the Only City in Europe that has one inside the City..

Sad to tell you that Ruaridh our Puppy has gone to the Kennels in the Sky, he had a Heart defect but we decided to let him have a real Puppy life and not wrap him up in cotton wool..

Evanston, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2013

A most welcome retreat after a day walking about Edinburgh. An easy bus ride to the city center but tucked away in a quiet neighborhood. The hosts were most accommodating, the room comfortable, and the amenities more than adequate. Wholeheartedly recommended.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Bob M

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest

Thanks for your review and I would say that, " Aha" the word retreat is a great one to describe our Hotel and its Location, quiet Neighborhood, Parks, Golf Club, Tennis Courts and the Commonwealth Swimming Pool and health Club and all within 3 Minuets walk from our Hotel..

Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

Stayed here over the bank holiday weekend with my girlfriend. The hotel is situated a little out of the town, but within walking distance of the town centre, and with good bus routes close by. It's very close to Arthurs Seat (a big hill/small mountain) which gives a more scenic and quite strenuous walk into town, but well worth the effort.

The rooms were clean, and more than adequate for what we needed. The staff were friendly, and the breakfast was great.

I'd definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank James W

I'd definitely consider staying here again.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

We are Indeed well placed for a short walk into Town and just 2 minutes walk away from the Bus Route . I am afraid that you have hurt my Local Volcano called Arthurs Seat's feelings by calling it a Hill or Small Mountain, ahem ! Volcanoes do have feelings you know, Tee hee heee..

Washington Twp, MI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

First B&B and would go back in a second. Great owners, great food, clean, quiet. Good location to walk from, no problem. Got a good night sleep there. The bus line is easy to use and the PU and drop point is very close.
Terry & Laurie P

Room Tip: You will love it.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Terry P
WarriorPoet55, Owner at Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, responded to this review, 1 September 2013
Dear Revieweee

Many Moons of thanks for a Sparkling review, I am sorry this review is late, I missed it somehow.
Delighted that you enjoyed your first ever experience in a Small Scottish Hotel and that you would consider coming back to us, thanks..