“Wonderful experience”

Ranked #10 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Bruges, Belgium
“Wonderful experience”
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Stayed for a week and was satisfied with the service. From a budget hotel like this you could not expect more but this one was beyond my expectations. Easy access by bus or even walk will do- centrally located in Edinburgh. Check in was a bit slow but manageable. Max and Annette were the best host ever- friendly and hospitable. Room was nice, spacious and well maintained. There was a fan and TV in the room (*channels were limited). Breakfast was good especially the eggs benedict, my favorite- served hot and fresh. Staff was courteous, a special thanks to the owners (and their dog which was not at all a nuisance) for making my stay comfortable.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank michael_aiden2013
WarriorPoet55, Owner at Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Dear Revieweee

Many Moons of thanks for a Magic review, Beyond Expectations, Wowee, that’s Great, Hmmm I think I feel a Book coming on ha ha ha, and yes check in can be slow at times depending on many variables, also the TV has five main channels but also has Freeview with app 80 other channels, faffing about with some remotes can be difficult even for me but they are there.
Hopefully we will Install Smart TVs soon in all Room’s, Wow will Guests ever leave and go out, tee hee hee.
I will tell Annette and Janet that they are still hitting the mark with their Hot Breakfast and especially the eggs benedict..

Maxx..

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Hebrew first
North West England
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I spent 2 nights at the C-D hotel in Edinburgh. My single room was cosy/small but perfectly formed and very clean and in good condition. The bed itself was comfy although I found the duvet way too thick and hot for me personally. The bathroom was very clean with plenty of shower gel/shampoo etc.. how they got everything into that tiny space and still made it feel roomy I'll never know!! Breakfast was served downstairs in a red and black room - that was certainly different for a breakfast room! Cereals, and cooked breakfast were available plus a few pastries, fruit, yoghurts and juices. Enough to get you well set up for the day ahead. If you want sweetners instead of sugar for your drink, there are some on one of the shelves by the pastries - I found them too late for me. I only have one niggle which was that when I arrived I had a heavy bag and I personally found it was a struggle up 2 flights of stairs - some help would have been appreciated especially as the staircase was twisty, steep and unfamiliar and I felt quite unsteady, even using the rail.
Although the hotel is not bang in the middle of Edinburgh the buses are very regular outside on the main road around the corner from the hotel. At rush hour it took what felt like forever to get to the hotel but during the day it was much quicker. The 14, 30 and 33 will get you into Edinburgh/Royal Mile/Princes Street and the 2 is very useful if visiting the National Museum of Scotland - that will drop you right nearby Chambers Street/Greyfriars Bobby. To go to Ocean Terminal you are better going to Edinburgh Princes St then transferring to one of the many direct buses from there. Likewise if you visit Holyrood the 35 will take you back up the Royal Mile from Holyrood if you do not feel like taking the hilly walk back up. To return to the Airlink Buses in Edinburgh get the 30 or 33 as they stop just past The Balmoral Hotel which is nearer for the Airlink stop than using the 14 as that goes towards Leith. The Day Ticket for £3.50 is a bargain and allows you to use the buses all day.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank the_crafty_traveller
Thanks for a splendid review, well glad that you like our roomy toilets, tee hee he, we do have other lighter duvets available should you return.

Aha the breakfast Room!?, Black and Red! well my design Idea was Scottish, there a surprise, the structures and colours were dreamed up as follows, in the Glassed over Roof we have a Boat that took Scotland’s Brave Pioneers and the great many disposed people away to America, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, the boat is Blue and White as is the Flag of Scotland, this Boat eventually brought back the Diaspora to their Heartlands as Tourists.
The upper walls are Grey as are the walls of Edinburgh Castle, the Doors are Black as is death, and the lower walls are Blood Red as is our Countries History.
Next to this part is the Castle Palace with a selection of Scotland’s Tartans hanging to remember the Fallen Heroes who have defended Scotland over the many, many Centuries, and the wee bity next to this is the Dudgeon with its Port Cullis where Guest get locked up if they do not like my Whiskies ha ha ha, and in the distance is of(a picture) the Eilean Donan Castle sitting in a Loch to symbolise Scotland’s True and everlasting beliefs, there I have said it at last, tee hee heee, I keep meaning to put that wee story of the Breakfast room in my Breakfast Menu’s.

Oops I nearly forgot we also have the Flag of Scotland on the Floor, Rabbie Burns (National Poet)looking down on us and Twin Towers on the wall to remind all peoples of the World that Freedom is a Picture and it does Indeed Paint a Thousand Million WORDS - FREEDOM.

Newtown, Connecticut
Reviewed 20 October 2013

My wife and I enjoyed three nights at Hotel Ceilidh-Donia and it felt like a home away from home for two main reasons. First, the hotel is actually a very nice home in a quiet neighborhood on the outskirts of the city. More importantly, the owners, Annette and Maxx, made us feel that we were part of the family - looking out for all of our needs and providing suggestions and guidance that helped us to thoroughly enjoy our time in Edinburgh. The staff members we encountered were equally courteous and anxious to be of service. Our accommodations were quiet and very comfortable and breakfast was like eating at home. The hotel is about a 10 minute bus ride to the Royal Mile and there are restaurants within walking distance. Our three nights and four days in Edinburgh could not have been more fun. There is so much to see and learn about the architecture and history of this magical city. And Annette and Maxx provide the perfect home to escape from the hustle and bustle of the center city. Make sure you ask Maxx for some "flapjacks." They make a great snack.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tmcct
Dear Revieweee

Many Moons of thanks for a Sparkling Review, and for saying that you felt like you were in a Home away from Home, Wins it for us every time, we are not luxurious and we hope not pretentious but we are Happy running our Family Hotel in Edinburgh, and having a Business in Edinburgh is part of that, it is a truly Wondrous City to visit or to live in.
The Hotel always has Staff on duty from 7-00 am until 12-30 am (mostly Annette or myself) our three Key Staff Members, Janet, Anne and Jill have been with us for 18 years on average and also love working in the Hospitality business, and boyo can Janet Cook and what parts of the Hotel have Anne and Jill not cleaned! ? .
Magical City is exactly what Edinburgh is, sometimes called The Athens of the North or what Paris ought to have been, we had Skyscrapers (16 stories high) hundreds of years before New York, A Volcano, eat your Heart out Rome, Europe’s longest artificial Ski-Slopes and Portobello Beach, true many, many places have more Sun but Edinburgh will always have the Universe at its HEART..

P.s Flapjacks anyone..
New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 October 2013 via mobile

This friendly b&b is located a bit outside the city, but easily accessible by bus or on foot. Service was warm, welcoming, and very helpful. The furnishing is not luxurious, but good quality and comfortable. The mattress was firm and comfy, with nice sheets. The bathroom was small, but had absolutely amazing shower pressure. Thhotel also has a small bar and lounge that is perfect for relaxing after a long day. Breakfast is cooked to order and delicious. A few nice extras: free bottle of water every day, freee DVD borrowing, a nice selection of books and board games.

Would definitely return. I was a bit suspicious of the low price, but I spent nearly twice the price at another hotel for about the same thing. The good value definitely boosts my eating fro four stars to five stars.

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank M N
Dear Revieweee

Many Moons of thanks for a glorious review, I see you though that our Good Value helped us get another notch, thanks. Hotel costs now though are not as simple as they were before On Line Travel Agency came on the scene, previously Hotels etc could set their price and come and go a wee bity but with over 55 O.T.As coming through our Eviivo Hotel Computerised System now with varying deals to be had I really hope that you and future Guests appreciate that we are not always in control as we were 5 years ago.

We decided 14 years ago to stay with Pine Furniture (sustainable wood) and yes your right Pine is not exactly Luxurious but it is really, really hard to refurbish all our Rooms at the same time, we try to upgrade 4 Rooms every year from the 18 we have so it does take 5 years sometimes to complete the cycle.

Glad you like all the little extras that we provide free and now with our new Wi-Fi units (Desk Point Pro) located in all Rooms we hope trouble free Surfing for all our Guests..

York
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Well what can we say about this place .... absolutely nothing negative.
The room we had was lovely and cozy, warm and most of all had a comfy bed for a good nights sleep that everyone needs after a busy day in Edinburgh.
There is a lovely walk into town or back if you fancy following the walk past Salisbury crags into Holyrood or you can get the bus and the bus stop is two /three min walk.
The owners are lovely and the rest of the staff are a credit to the place.
Breakfast there is something for everyone and if you opt for the cooked breakfast to it proper sets you up for the day.
Would we go back and stay there oh yes!!!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cathrine b
Dear Revieweee

Many Moons of thanks for a great review, cozy, warm and comfortable is exactly the kind of Stay at The Hotel Ceilidh-Donia we hope our Guests enjoy when in Edinburgh with us. Thanks for pointing out our great location and the Bus service into Town, and delighted our Cooked Breakfast set you up for the Day and hope you do came back for another visit..

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2013

A charming B&B-style hotel set in a residential street, about a 20 minute walk from central Edinburgh (or a 5 minute taxi/10 minute bus ride if you're feeling lazy!).

The rooms are very warm and are quaintly decorated - some people might find the decor a bit old-fashioned, but I think the appeal here is that it feels homely rather than a fancy hotel. Ours looked over the garden - we keept the window open at night and are happy to report we weren't disturbed by any noise!

Breakfast was really lovely - cooked to order, and just the right amount of food. I liked the teeny black pudding and haggis! If you go for the full 'British' everyday, you'll probably be grateful for the walk into town.

The staff were exceptional too, very friendly and welcoming. All in all, a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MrsT28
WarriorPoet55, Owner at Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, responded to this review, 9 October 2013
Dear Reviewee

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review, all our rooms have different décor and we try to upgrade all rooms every four to five years, so hopefully when you come back the room you will get is our Victoria Beckham Gold Room, ha ha ha, sorry for that just my sense of humour, I don't think I would want to stay in a room like that either .

We set out 15 years ago to be an honest unfussy Wee Scottish Hotel and to be here for our Guests so I am delighted that you felt like you were at Home, thanks for your compliment..

Janet and Annette cook the breakfast and after 25 years working together here and in our last Guest House they have mastered the art of getting lots of orders onto the plates HOT, that is why some of the 5 Star places let themselves down as their Breakfasts all lie in wait for the unsuspecting Tourist and usually they are cold but because people pay a fortune to stay there they rarely complain..

Walnut Creek, California
Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

Like a bid house. Friendly staff. Good breakfast selection. Cozy room. Loved the powerful shower. No bath tub. Steep stairs. No elevator.

Bus stop just around the corner get familiar with that. It's grand. Taxi can get expensive. Bus top tours was the way to go on a two day adventure. I don't recommend the boat tour.

What stood out most- Service. I asked where the nearest ATM was. I had no cash for bus fare and was going to walk. Without hesitation, Owner gave me the coin I needed for the bus fair. Much appreciated, I paid him back two fold.

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank Moeontheloose
Dear Reviewee

Many Moons of thanks for this Gold Dust review, we certainly hope that we are good value for money and after all we are classed as a Three Star Metro Hotel but we do try to match the little things that some Five Star Hotels provide in their rooms and other areas but at the end of the Day when you Book with us, you know that all that you will pay us is what you thought that you would when you booked to stay with us.

Our rooms are by no means plush but we have every other thing that can help small Hotels to punch above their weight, reasonable priced Bar, great fresh Breakfasts, Power Showers and one of them is being here almost 24/7 for our guests and going that wee bit extra, we never forget in the Hotel Ceilidh-Donia that it is you that are on Holiday..