“Genuinely lovely” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Genuinely lovely”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

Stayed 5 nights B&B over the Hogmanay 2014 at Ceilidh-Donia. There was a warm and informative welcome from Annette on our arrival. The room ticked all the boxes, Warm with plenty of hot water and a comfy bed. The breakfast spread was fresh, tasty and plentiful. The owners generosity extended to bottles of Prosecco and chocolate which were left in the room and Maxx's offer of a wee dram of 18 year old Malt at breakfast. Loved our stay in Edinburgh and a big Thank you for our great stay at this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank nova390
WarriorPoet55, Owner at Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Dear Revieweeee

Many Moons of thanks for your Sparkling Review of the Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, thanks for noticing the things that Annette the Staff and I think are Important when Guests Travel to a destination for a Holiday break, Clean Rooms, Powerful Hot Showers, Great Choice at Breakfast some little extras in the Bathrooms and Bottles of FRESH Water awaiting your arrival and we hope a Warm Welcome as well and well glad that you both enjoyed a Wee Dram of our 18 year Old Bowmore Malt Whisky or was it two maybe at our Hotels Traditional New Year Breakfast..
MyKy
Maxx..

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Hebrew first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

As a lot of the other reviews have mentioned lovely and clean ,great breakfast and very quiet -I have a few minor quibbles which in the grand scheme of things aren't that important -parking anywhere near is a nightmare (I was told I would have a space reserved but such a thing doesn't exist ?!) other point is the position of the tv in the room -it's impossible to watch from anywhere except the bottom of the bed as I said very minor quibbles and they wouldn't stop me staying here again but I would advise to avoid top floor room the stairs are steep

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank David D
Dear Reviewee

Many Thanks for a thoughtful review and letting us know your minor problems, the thing is some Rooms in an Old Town House Hotel are genuinely almost Impossible to get everything in their perfect place and I think from your description that you were in our Room 13, which to its credit it does have some great views of our Volcano, Arthurs Seat which is 823 feet high.

Glad that the rooms were clean and that you thoroughly enjoyed your Breakfast every Morning.

I see that you had a problem getting parked, sorry about that, we do have only two spaces available but it is FREE parking on all the roads around our Hotel, our Policy is to find a space for our Guest even if it means moving our Hotel Cars around to achieve this, HHhhmmm did you ask myself or Annette to help you ?, please e-mail us to let us know who you spoke with on arrival..

Parking is not just a problem for our Hotel or Indeed City; I suspect that it is a Worldwide problem. There are 70 Odd B/Bs, Guest House and Hotels in this area and I know of NONE that can accommodate all their Guest Cars at the same time and as for the Hotels in Edinburgh City Center it is probable impossible but I guarantee all Future Guest we always get the Cars Parked up for you and will bring them back to the hotel should you wish

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

We arrived and were greeted with a warm welcome by the hotel staff. The room was at the top of two steep flight of stairs-something to consider if mobility an issue. The room was comfortable and we appreciated the chocolates and bottled water! The only slight complaint was that the bed was rather squeaky! Other than that the owners were incredibly friendly and helped us with some local knowledge and things to do. The breakfast was tasty and included within the price (an added suprise for us)! Overall a really enjoyable stay with great bus links into Edinburgh City.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AtcoSimon
Dear Reviwee

Many Thanks for your thoughtful review, sorry about the Bed but if you can e-mail us so that we can identify the Room and can fix it please, and yes we are a typical Scottish/Edinburgh Town House and the Stairs feel normal to Scots and us Edinburgers but I do understand that to others they look like a challenge every Day, so as you say to other readers, please tell us in advance if they may be a problem to you..

Glad that the little extras were appreciated and the great breakfast that you did not knows comes with our Price. Annette and I know that it may be the NEW way to run a Guest House or Hotel But when Guests Book our Hotel, The Great British Breakfast will ALWAYS be FREE, FREEEDOMM, ha ha ha ,..

Clent, Worcestershire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013 via mobile

I stayed for one night whilst working in Edinburgh and can't fault this place.

Small but excellently presented single room, very clean indeed. Great dining room, very good breakfast.

Free wifi that worked! Friendly staff.

Great value too!

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Ian B
Dear Revieweee

Many Moons of thanks, you were here for One Short Sweet Night and you left our Hotel with One Short Sweet Review, Thank You..

Minnetonka, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

We stayed two nights while visiting Scotland. It was a wonderfully comfortable and beautiful place with warm hospitality. So much better than a big chain hotel. A great place to meet and visit with fellow travelers from around the world. Delicious breakfast included with a huge variety of options. Tucked away in a quiet neighborhood right off the bus line. I highly recommend staying here. You won't be disappointed. Thanks Annette and Maxx for your hospitality!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jan406
Dear Revieweee

Many Moons of thanks for a Fabby Review, Yea A Know What Ya Mean about Small sometimes is more Beautiful, I like to Sing : Take These Chain Hotels from Ma Heart, ha ha ha, tee hheeee just Joshin, but I do what you mean, Big Hotels can certainly be Beautiful but Small Hotels should be Cuteyfull, oops there I go again inventing new words, must be the Poet in me, thanks Hank Williams and you for your kind Review, a New Friend of the Hotel Ceilidh-Donia..

Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

I loved this hotel! The beds were so comfy and warm, and the shower was heavenly. Breakfast was delicious every morning, and there was coffee, juice, etc. too. One night, I was too tired to go out somewhere for dinner, so the woman who runs the hotel made me a delicious sandwich right on the spot, and she offered to mail my postcards for me the morning I left. It was very quiet and in a quiet neighborhood as well. It is a bit of a hike from the city center, but I like walking so I walked to and from the city center instead of taking the bus-- but there were several bus stops very close by for those who don't like to walk longer distances. I would definitely come back here next time I'm in Edinburgh!

Room Tip: My room (13) was on the top floor, but had a beautiful view of the extinct volcano, King Arthur'...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank CRiley231011
Wowee (Wow is a Scottish Word from the 15th Century) thanks for a Terrific Review of our Hotel, not exactly City Center, hey but lots of Fresh Clean Air wafting in from our Arthurs seat and the Bird Sanctuary at the bottom of the hill and of course Prestonfield Golf Club which is only 1 minutes’ walk away..

Birmingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

Just got back from a thoroughly enjoyable two nights in Hotel Ceilidh-Donia. Was a great location (a ten minute bus journey from the next street to the Royal Mile) - but with it it brought a nice break from the winter hustle and bustle of the city centre. Gorgeous townhouse on a quiet street - Annette and Maxx are clearly proud of their hotel and couldn't have asked for better hosts. Great breakfasts with lots of choice, beer on demand from the bar and just generally a warm feel. Can't wait to go back at some point!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ipodge
Dear Reviewee

Many Moons of thanks for a wonderful Review, it is great when People find us and want to come back, I think that is always the best compliment, hope that you notice some new changes if you do come back, changes and continual improvements are our Two Standard Bearers.