“Excellent value and great spot”

Hotel Ceilidh-Donia
Ranked #8 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
Toronto
“Excellent value and great spot”
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

Great stay in Edinburgh. I was travelling alone and felt very safe and comfortable here. Good location, easy bus into the core. The staff/owners were very friendly, helpful and accommodating. Would definitely go back.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank etteliuj
WarriorPoet55, Owner at Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Dear Revieweee

Many Moons of thanks for a Fabby Review, delighted that you felt safe in our neighbourhood and also in Edinburgh, although not crime free (where is) Edinburgh is possible on of the safest places for Tourist in the World.
We send out our own Map and other Info in advance of our Guest arrival and hope that it makes them feel orientated and safe when they arrive..

Maxx...

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Hebrew first
Long Beach, New York
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I stayed here for five nights; I booked a room for two. Pre-arrival, Maxx delivered some superb customer service and forwarded me a map and other useful information to make my arrival to EDI/the hotel seamless. I was so pleased with the straightforward check-in process (checked in around 8:30 AM and was given a room right away), the staff, the golden retriever (what an angel!), the room, the breakfast, the delicious Scottish beer, the tea/coffee/hot chocolate/biscuits/chocolates in the room...I'm sure you get the idea.The room was super comfortable and had its own strong, fast wi-fi connection - getting on was never a problem.

The hotel isn't very far from many of Edinburgh's beautiful sites. The walks to Holyrood Park and the Palace of Holyroodhouse were nice; with that said, we got to know the 14 and 30 bus lines pretty well.

I'm looking forward to staying here again the next time I'm in Edinburgh!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Revieweee

Many Moons of thanks for a Sparkling Review, glad you like all the pre-arrival Info that we send out to all our Guests, I am really good with my sense of direction usually but when travelling many years ago I got lost before arriving at my destination and I thought Maps are good but they are not personalised so all these years later we send out our own Map and other Info so that People know in advance our Location, Bus routes, Airport and Railway Stations, Pubs, Restaurants and their relevance to the Hotel and of course the costs involved getting to us

Well glad you like the Room and all the little things that our Room Angels put in them..

happy2help

Stroud England
Reviewed 15 January 2014

We read reviews on quite a few hotels in Edinburgh and decided on this one and were not disappointed. Due to flight times we arrived about 9.15am, way before check in time but no problem - we were immediately offered a full cooked breakfast. The room was very clean and tidy and overall a very friendly hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ColinFranklin
WarriorPoet55, Owner at Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, responded to this review, 25 January 2014
Dear Revieweee

Many Moons of thanks for a Terrific Review and choosing our Hotel from the many many choices that you had in Edinburgh. Late or early, snowy or sunny we are here 24/7/365 for our Travelling Guests, we never forget that it is you that are on Holiday, OOPS but we do take our Woofy Dog Keilidh (Golden (White) Retriever) for walkies sometimes when all our Guests have checked in.

Reviewed 14 January 2014

I stayed here for a short weekend getaway in November. I booked a single room, because it was just me traveling and I was looking to save money. Did I ever get a deal! The hotel was very clean, comfortable, and very welcoming. They did everything right including the small things, like tea and biscuits in your room. You can order breakfast each morning or enjoy quick continental fair. Although it is out of the centre a bit, it is conveniently located near two different bus stops that will have you in the city in no time. If I were to go back to Edinburgh I will be sure to stay here.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Jessica B
Dear Revieweee

Many Moons of thanks for a Fabby review, great to see you like the little touches that our Room Angels think of and hope that you come back another time for a Deal

Well glad that our Location was more than suitable for you, not City Centre but just a 20 min walk from the City Center, but we do have a Golf Course just 1 min walk, Swimming Pool 3 min walk, University Campus 2 mins away, and the Glorious Volcano called Arthur Seat 15 mins, where just today we had an Orienteering Competition, Arthurs Seat has Three Lochs, a Bird Sanctuary, Two Golf Courses, a 700 Year old Pub and a 1000 year Old Church, The Commonwealth Swimming Pool and Edinburgh University Campus and all within its environ..

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2014

This has taken me a while to write due to heavy work schedule,me and my wife stayed here in November for 3 nights it was Fantastic,the room was big and so clean had everything you could need nice little touches and wifi strong and quick,flat screen,tea and coffee making facilities,took us around 30 minutes to walk here from Waverley station,but there are many buses that drop you about 2 minute walk away from hotel and it's around 3 pound for an all day ticket.the owners of the establishment are very welcoming and extremely helpful.breakfast was lovely and there was a lot of choice and it was nice to be able to get a drink in the evening from the bar.if you find a better BnB for the same price I will be very very surprised.will be staying on our next trip to Edinburgh 100%

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank arnie112118
Dear Revieweee

Many Moons of thanks for a Wowwee Review of our Hotel, it certainly Smiles me up in the dark of Britain's Winter months to get such a warm review, hope I am not repeating myself to many times but we never take Guests Reviews for granted and neither do our Staff especially Janet our Breakfast Cook, and Gill and Anne our Room Angels who get the rooms all sparkly again for the new Guests.

I see that you found our Location to be good to walk into Town or to get the Buses, which are just 3 minutes’ walk away. Edinburgh will have our brand new Trams System working in June this year and with the Best Bus Service in Britain what more could you want, OH I KNOW a FREE Wi-Fi and guessed what all of Edinburgh's City Center will have free Wi-Fi and all of its Buses and Tram's and all for a £1.50 fare or a £3.50 One Day Ticket, what’s not to like..

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Stayed 5 nights B&B over the Hogmanay 2014 at Ceilidh-Donia. There was a warm and informative welcome from Annette on our arrival. The room ticked all the boxes, Warm with plenty of hot water and a comfy bed. The breakfast spread was fresh, tasty and plentiful. The owners generosity extended to bottles of Prosecco and chocolate which were left in the room and Maxx's offer of a wee dram of 18 year old Malt at breakfast. Loved our stay in Edinburgh and a big Thank you for our great stay at this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank nova390
WarriorPoet55, Owner at Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Dear Revieweeee

Many Moons of thanks for your Sparkling Review of the Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, thanks for noticing the things that Annette the Staff and I think are Important when Guests Travel to a destination for a Holiday break, Clean Rooms, Powerful Hot Showers, Great Choice at Breakfast some little extras in the Bathrooms and Bottles of FRESH Water awaiting your arrival and we hope a Warm Welcome as well and well glad that you both enjoyed a Wee Dram of our 18 year Old Bowmore Malt Whisky or was it two maybe at our Hotels Traditional New Year Breakfast..
MyKy
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

As a lot of the other reviews have mentioned lovely and clean ,great breakfast and very quiet -I have a few minor quibbles which in the grand scheme of things aren't that important -parking anywhere near is a nightmare (I was told I would have a space reserved but such a thing doesn't exist ?!) other point is the position of the tv in the room -it's impossible to watch from anywhere except the bottom of the bed as I said very minor quibbles and they wouldn't stop me staying here again but I would advise to avoid top floor room the stairs are steep

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank David D
Dear Reviewee

Many Thanks for a thoughtful review and letting us know your minor problems, the thing is some Rooms in an Old Town House Hotel are genuinely almost Impossible to get everything in their perfect place and I think from your description that you were in our Room 13, which to its credit it does have some great views of our Volcano, Arthurs Seat which is 823 feet high.

Glad that the rooms were clean and that you thoroughly enjoyed your Breakfast every Morning.

I see that you had a problem getting parked, sorry about that, we do have only two spaces available but it is FREE parking on all the roads around our Hotel, our Policy is to find a space for our Guest even if it means moving our Hotel Cars around to achieve this, HHhhmmm did you ask myself or Annette to help you ?, please e-mail us to let us know who you spoke with on arrival..

Parking is not just a problem for our Hotel or Indeed City; I suspect that it is a Worldwide problem. There are 70 Odd B/Bs, Guest House and Hotels in this area and I know of NONE that can accommodate all their Guest Cars at the same time and as for the Hotels in Edinburgh City Center it is probable impossible but I guarantee all Future Guest we always get the Cars Parked up for you and will bring them back to the hotel should you wish