“Birthday weekend break” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Whitehaven, England, United Kingdom
“Birthday weekend break”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

Excellent in every area. From the pre-arrival info giving very accurate details on how to reach hotel from Waverley train station using the excellent Edinburgh bus service. Great, friendly welcome from owner & their beautiful and incredible laid back dog. Our room was excellent, large, well fitted & furnished & with the best hotel shower we have had. Breakfasts were everything you could want ( between us we tried 5 different breakfasts during our stay!). The owners were so helpful, giving us excellent tips on buses, sights to visit, places to eat etc - it made for a thoroughly enjoyable & relaxing break. Mary King Close is well worth a visit. Thank you for a fantastic break. Paul & Sandra

• 5 of 5 bubbles
WarriorPoet55, Owner at Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Dear Revieweee

Many Moons of thanks for a Lovely Review and we were delighted that your Birthday Treat went well, you stayed five days and had five breakfast and you gave us five outa five, Fabby Dabby Doo.

I know we have said it before but Annette myself and the Staff work in the Hotel business because we really do like seeing the smiling faces of our Guests when they have a hassle free stay enjoying a great breakfast, cosy rooms, great showers, nice neighbourhood, beautiful Edinburgh and just a short ride away, and as I say lots of time to our Guests, We have no Rules but if you Break them we will let you know, ha ha ha.

Thanks also for your comments on our rooms, we are always trying to improve them and this week we have started to change the style of our room furniture after 15 years here from the everlasting Pine to a painted Pine with solid Oak tops and in March we will upgrade the décor, bathrooms, TVs and carpets in 4 rooms, hope you can come back sometime..

Maxx..

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Hebrew first
Hexham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

My wife and I stayed at Ceilidh-Donia 21/22 January. We arrived late morning after travelling up from Northumberland by train, expecting to have to wait to check in to our rooms but were told very politely by the owner that we could check in straight away.
The room was very clean and exceptionally comfortable and of a high standard. Power Shower was excellent.( Wish I could remember make and model as I would replace my home shower with this ! )
All staff were extremley pleasant and helpful. The breakfast was the most delicious breakfast I have tasted in a long time from any Hotel I have stayed in, produce used was of a very high standard.
It was in a fantastic location away from any noise but only a 2 minute walk to a main and regular bus route into the City Centre (15 mins )
I can't believe the price we paid for a 2 night stay in such a superior establishment.
Thank You for a wonderful stay and we will definitely be back in the future.

1 Thank Ray J
Dear Revieweee

Many Moons of thanks for a Brilliant Review, aha the Power Showers, hope I am not breaking any rules by saying that they are made by Aqualisa and are called Aqualisa Thermo, they have a small electric low voltage pump inside the unit and they are certainly worth the extra costs involved, and as you found out it gives a terrific rate of water flow, downside is we have to make sure we have lots and lots of Hot Water on Tap, tee hee hee, sometimes I can’t resit a wee pun, hope to see you again..

Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

Great stay in Edinburgh. I was travelling alone and felt very safe and comfortable here. Good location, easy bus into the core. The staff/owners were very friendly, helpful and accommodating. Would definitely go back.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank etteliuj
Dear Revieweee

Many Moons of thanks for a Fabby Review, delighted that you felt safe in our neighbourhood and also in Edinburgh, although not crime free (where is) Edinburgh is possible on of the safest places for Tourist in the World.
We send out our own Map and other Info in advance of our Guest arrival and hope that it makes them feel orientated and safe when they arrive..

Maxx...
Long Beach, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

I stayed here for five nights; I booked a room for two. Pre-arrival, Maxx delivered some superb customer service and forwarded me a map and other useful information to make my arrival to EDI/the hotel seamless. I was so pleased with the straightforward check-in process (checked in around 8:30 AM and was given a room right away), the staff, the golden retriever (what an angel!), the room, the breakfast, the delicious Scottish beer, the tea/coffee/hot chocolate/biscuits/chocolates in the room...I'm sure you get the idea.The room was super comfortable and had its own strong, fast wi-fi connection - getting on was never a problem.

The hotel isn't very far from many of Edinburgh's beautiful sites. The walks to Holyrood Park and the Palace of Holyroodhouse were nice; with that said, we got to know the 14 and 30 bus lines pretty well.

I'm looking forward to staying here again the next time I'm in Edinburgh!

Dear Revieweee

Many Moons of thanks for a Sparkling Review, glad you like all the pre-arrival Info that we send out to all our Guests, I am really good with my sense of direction usually but when travelling many years ago I got lost before arriving at my destination and I thought Maps are good but they are not personalised so all these years later we send out our own Map and other Info so that People know in advance our Location, Bus routes, Airport and Railway Stations, Pubs, Restaurants and their relevance to the Hotel and of course the costs involved getting to us

Well glad you like the Room and all the little things that our Room Angels put in them..

happy2help

Stroud England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

We read reviews on quite a few hotels in Edinburgh and decided on this one and were not disappointed. Due to flight times we arrived about 9.15am, way before check in time but no problem - we were immediately offered a full cooked breakfast. The room was very clean and tidy and overall a very friendly hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ColinFranklin
WarriorPoet55, Owner at Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, responded to this review, 25 January 2014
Dear Revieweee

Many Moons of thanks for a Terrific Review and choosing our Hotel from the many many choices that you had in Edinburgh. Late or early, snowy or sunny we are here 24/7/365 for our Travelling Guests, we never forget that it is you that are on Holiday, OOPS but we do take our Woofy Dog Keilidh (Golden (White) Retriever) for walkies sometimes when all our Guests have checked in.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

I stayed here for a short weekend getaway in November. I booked a single room, because it was just me traveling and I was looking to save money. Did I ever get a deal! The hotel was very clean, comfortable, and very welcoming. They did everything right including the small things, like tea and biscuits in your room. You can order breakfast each morning or enjoy quick continental fair. Although it is out of the centre a bit, it is conveniently located near two different bus stops that will have you in the city in no time. If I were to go back to Edinburgh I will be sure to stay here.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jessica B
Dear Revieweee

Many Moons of thanks for a Fabby review, great to see you like the little touches that our Room Angels think of and hope that you come back another time for a Deal

Well glad that our Location was more than suitable for you, not City Centre but just a 20 min walk from the City Center, but we do have a Golf Course just 1 min walk, Swimming Pool 3 min walk, University Campus 2 mins away, and the Glorious Volcano called Arthur Seat 15 mins, where just today we had an Orienteering Competition, Arthurs Seat has Three Lochs, a Bird Sanctuary, Two Golf Courses, a 700 Year old Pub and a 1000 year Old Church, The Commonwealth Swimming Pool and Edinburgh University Campus and all within its environ..

Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

This has taken me a while to write due to heavy work schedule,me and my wife stayed here in November for 3 nights it was Fantastic,the room was big and so clean had everything you could need nice little touches and wifi strong and quick,flat screen,tea and coffee making facilities,took us around 30 minutes to walk here from Waverley station,but there are many buses that drop you about 2 minute walk away from hotel and it's around 3 pound for an all day ticket.the owners of the establishment are very welcoming and extremely helpful.breakfast was lovely and there was a lot of choice and it was nice to be able to get a drink in the evening from the bar.if you find a better BnB for the same price I will be very very surprised.will be staying on our next trip to Edinburgh 100%

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank arnie112118
Dear Revieweee

Many Moons of thanks for a Wowwee Review of our Hotel, it certainly Smiles me up in the dark of Britain's Winter months to get such a warm review, hope I am not repeating myself to many times but we never take Guests Reviews for granted and neither do our Staff especially Janet our Breakfast Cook, and Gill and Anne our Room Angels who get the rooms all sparkly again for the new Guests.

I see that you found our Location to be good to walk into Town or to get the Buses, which are just 3 minutes’ walk away. Edinburgh will have our brand new Trams System working in June this year and with the Best Bus Service in Britain what more could you want, OH I KNOW a FREE Wi-Fi and guessed what all of Edinburgh's City Center will have free Wi-Fi and all of its Buses and Tram's and all for a £1.50 fare or a £3.50 One Day Ticket, what’s not to like..